Who would miss score bias in the server browser?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...

Would you miss score bias?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 25

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Who would miss score bias in the server browser?

Post by Z-Man »

You know, the +/- thing where you can modify scores of servers persistently. New code on the trunk and 0.4 can let bookmarks take over the role of pushing servers on top of your list, so I'm thinking about retiring the system.

If you vote yes, please state how you're using the it. Something you can't do with bookmarks is banish servers you don't want to see to the bottom, for example.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Who would miss score bias in the server browser?

Post by AI-team »

I am pretty sure that at least 95% of all players sort by "Users"

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Z-Man wrote:Something you can't do with bookmarks is banish servers you don't want to see to the bottom, for example.
And you can't really stop those same servers from creeping back up using 'score'. To reiterate previous discussions on this topic, the score column would be more useful if users didn't have to continually maintain it. I really like the idea of a personal-sort column, but it shouldn't be dependent on anything but the user. A simple sort would be better: +/- to push it above or below it's neighbors (I understand that even this would need some maintenance as servers come and go).
dukevin
Round Winner

Post by dukevin »

It would be pretty nice if users could "pin" or "sticky" certain servers to the top.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

dukevin wrote:It would be pretty nice if users could "pin" or "sticky" certain servers to the top.
Bookmarked servers (press B while a server is selected) are pinned to the top of the list on trunk and 0.4 clients. (Hence the to-be-discussed obsolescence of score bias.)

Maybe pinning/pinned servers seems like a better term now.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

I never really used the score system.
As a newbie I was just wondering why the list seemed pretty "unsorted" until i figured out that it's possible to can change the sorting order. Now, I either sort for "users" or for "server name" since I am looking either for a populated server or an empty server I know the name from.
Mostly I use bookmarks anyways. For this I would find it quite usefull if pressing "b" at a bookmarked server would delete the bookmark.
Also a list with 10 latest used servers would be great!
Nice to see progress here - thx for the work :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I'm going to pass on the poll as it is now, since my answer is "yes and no." That is, along the lines of what sinewav is saying: No to eliminating it entirely, Yes to revamping the formula (so, I guess reverse the 'yes' and 'no' to fit the wording of the poll question). I'll just link back to the thread discussion that I assume he was referring to as well: Read this, including the second page. (I just know someone is going to skip that, then post a repetition of something on there.)

With respect to bookmarks being pushed to the top, why not just "pin" bookmarks to the top of the list, regardless of the sorting method one has selected?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:With respect to bookmarks being pushed to the top, why not just "pin" bookmarks to the top of the list, regardless of the sorting method one has selected?
Just to avoid misunderstandings, what would be the difference between pushing to the top and pinning?
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

No idea what it even is. Never think about it either 8)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Z-Man wrote:
Phytotron wrote:With respect to bookmarks being pushed to the top, why not just "pin" bookmarks to the top of the list, regardless of the sorting method one has selected?
Just to avoid misunderstandings, what would be the difference between pushing to the top and pinning?
Er, I have no idea, technically. You said "pushed to the top" and epsy (in response to dukevin) said "pinned;" I assumed you two were describing the same thing.

But, what I was envisioning is that one's bookmarked servers will always show at the top of the server list (even pinged first), whether one was sorting by users, ping, score bias, or server name. (Which may be exactly what you're saying is already in place with 0.4 trunk.)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, we essentially both meant the same thing.

The way it works right now on 0.4 is that your bookmarked servers are always at the top of the list in score and ping sorting; among themselves, they are sorted according to the selected order. In User number search, bookmark status is a secondary criterion: your bookmarked servers don't float to the very top automatically, but if a bookmarked server and a non-bookmarked server have the same number of users, the bookmarked server comes first. Especially, your bookmarks will come before all 200 empty servers you don't care about. On the alphabetic list, bookmarks are ignored. That's because there currently is no way to group servers unless there is a subculture for them; so the only sensible way to find the right server in a tournament quickly is to get one of the servers it's hosted on under your cursor, then switch to alphabetic sorting. That would not work any more if the alphabetic list would tear bookmarks and non-bookmarks apart.

It wouldn't be a problem to add advanced settings to customize that (the kind you have to edit into your autoexec.cfg) so you can pick how the bookmark status influences each search. For example, if you never play in tournaments, I can see how you'd rather want the alphabetic list to put your bookmarks first, too, and if you despise the servers that are usually crowded, you'd want to change the way the user sorting handles it. Yeah, I guess I'll do that.

And I was as surprised as anyone that 'b' now toggles the bookmarked status :)
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

I love the bias hence why i would miss it but generally the scores somehow change value on its own. It helps a great deal but i can live without it.
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

Also, are you guys making it possible to bookmark more than 10 servers?

I would encourage this because when playing or running a tournament, it would be nice if there is enough space to bookmark all of the servers so I can just connect to them fast, and still have room for my old bookmarked servers.

Maybe not set a limit to the number of bookmarks?
And make it easier to delete/remove a bookmark than having to choose to edit the bookmark and then erase the server name.

So many options to make this easier/simpler.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

INW wrote:And make it easier to delete/remove a bookmark than having to choose to edit the bookmark and then erase the server name.
Z-Man wrote:...'b' now toggles the bookmarked status :)
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

o shoot.