Menu for CAMERA_CUSTOM settings

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Jip
Round Winner

Menu for CAMERA_CUSTOM settings

Post by Jip »

I got an idea for a new menu item and I hope it's not too difficult to implement.
It would be nice to have an extra menu for CAMERA_CUSTOM_* settings and in the background a view on the grid with your cycle with the actual camera settings.
Any thoughts on how to do it?

EDIT: when we enter the menu ingame we got the grid in the background anyway. So just another player settings menu would be needed right?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Menu for CAMERA_CUSTOM settings

Post by Z-Man »

Wrong, sorry. Any previews (like the color previews) need to be specially coded. You can't use the regular code because that relies on all the game infrastructure being in place around it. And the _FROMSPEED settings make it really difficult to generate a reliable preview. And the individual settings are kind of complicated, I don't think we'd be doing the average noob a favor by giving them the chance to mess them up in a menu. Now, offering a selection of predefined settings created by experienced players, that's something I can imagine doing. There you can easily offer previews in the form of screenshots.
Jip
Round Winner

Post by Jip »

When i change e.g. CAMERA_CUSTOM_RISE via console the change gets applied instantly. Wouldn't it be possible to apply changes at time they made in the menu?
Also a "Set to default values" option would prevent noobs from messing it up since they always can revert changes.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Jip wrote:When i change e.g. CAMERA_CUSTOM_RISE via console the change gets applied instantly. Wouldn't it be possible to apply changes at time they made in the menu?
Yes, but you need to be in the game already and the custom camera needs to be active. Then that works.
Jip wrote:Also a "Set to default values" option would prevent noobs from messing it up since they always can revert changes.
The settings have a huge risk of blowing up in your face only later when you switch servers with different speed settings. And by then, people will have forgotten which setting they changed and hence which menu to return to to get back to defaults. We see that with things that take immediate effect. People activate spectator mode and forget about it and then wonder why they can't play.