How to make that game more popular?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
FoFo
Core Dumper

How to make that game more popular?

Post by FoFo »

Since i started fortress, long time ago now , i quite always played against same players , even if you see new names ingame , 50% of the time its someone you know , using an alias.

I dont know if you feel the same this year but its like there are less new players going into fortress/sumo , we really have to find new ideas to make the game more popular to new players or the community will get smaller and smaller , with auth , private serv , pickup , irc ect.. new players get less chance to learn how to play and cant really improve their gamestyle so they get bored pretty fast or dont even try it since they cant join the server or doesnt get how to auth ect..

I dont know how to do it but i really would like to see tron becoming more popular and bring new blood to fortress/sumo game type.

Share your opinions on it.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Re: How to make that game more popular?

Post by Slov »

pickup is killing it imo, especially since it's been used way more often that it used to
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

I once got around 5 friends to play it, but the problem with the game is that there is no tutorial at start. You just get thrown in there wthout any knowledge.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Slov wrote:pickup is killing it imo, especially since it's been used way more often that it used to
matchbox53
Round Winner

Post by matchbox53 »

Well there might be a part of pickup that doesnt favor with the new players but nevertheless it also has something else to do with promoting the game. Most gamers prefer the game type where there is action or adventure somehow, but they dont know what they are missing in this game, this is why we could do some promotion for this game by either doing blogs or some other advertisement for it.

In Addition we could also make some interesting videos on youtube like mazing stuff that people enjoy in this game that could also make other people aka gamers to like it, not just for fort/sumo but for tron in general.
FoFo
Core Dumper

Post by FoFo »

we should work more on the facebook page , who hosts this ?

https://www.facebook.com/ArmagetronAd?sk=wall
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Its funny you should post this now, FOFO. I was just talking to Arilou yesterday, before you had made this post, about making a post on the main forums, here, about implementing a Marketing Plan that I was going to implement for TR2N, but decided not to implement when I saw the long-term fail that the project had become. I do Local Internet Marketing and Affiliate Marketing for a living. One of the simplest, most effective forms of this is Article Marketing. The beauty of it, is that it is totally free of cost, but draws people to a given site via the organic search results in Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
In its most effective form, you have a blog at the center of this, ideally one that includes videos and regular posts. That has the only cost of a well-chosen domain name. I have noticed that there are a number of you that are very knowledgeable about Gaming in general, and you are more than well-qualified to write about it. So, what I am really looking for are a minimum of 3 of you that will commit to writing at least one blog post a week. I am also looking for you 3 and/or others to write articles, to the specification I give you, about Armagetron and/or Gaming. I would edit the articles only to optimize their appeal to the intended audience which is not just gamers, but the search engines.
I can start doing this alone, but I think it will be far superior for at least 3 other people to join me in this. Together, we can drive more new people to download Armagetron.
Another part of this will be for me to make some promotional videos about the game. I have the tools to do this, and currently do this for Local Internet Marketing clients I have.
Please post on this thread if you are interested in helping. I am taking the time today to do the needed keyword research. I will be starting a topic on these forums tonight that will have specifications for articles to be written.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

I agree with roze, we really need a tutorial.

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

epsy

Post by epsy »

FoFo wrote:we should work more on the facebook page , who hosts this ?
Lucifer, Luke and I do. There's also http://twitter.com/armagetronad and http://reddit.com/r/armagetronad (I don't have admin or anything on there, but I could send a PM to the owner of it edit:done, then restyle it and w/e). Obviously, we're not on Google+ yet since they don't have anything for products yet.

The twitter feed automatically reposts anything from facebook and allows sending PMs to it to post only on twitter.

What do you think we/you should do with those?
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Strictly speaking about fort, though I enjoy it, pickup is preventing it's growth. Last time we had a new player on there that had never played fort before, many players including admin(s?) pretty much abused him for not knowing the basics of fort citing the opinion "if you've never played fortress before, you shouldn't be on pickup", well, where exactly are they meant to learn when 95% of fort these days is pickup?
epsy

Post by epsy »

And when they don't use pickup, the other servers force him to get an account here before playing. **** this game.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/search. ... mit=Search

Development of "special game modes" like fortress and sumo took precedence over any kind of tutorial or some such. Oh, the irony.
FoFo
Core Dumper

Post by FoFo »

I think we need some help from the whole community , what about avoid auth in public fort and teach all the new players without kicking them , i mean everytime someone doesnt grind he gets kicked or suspend, this is rude , when he s suspended he just doesnt understand the reason and why he cant play the next round so he leaves and never come back which is normal... We have no interest doing that, first to suspend , we need to explain , to take time to watch if they listen and , when you use a poll to suspend players , we need to explain them in a nice way why we are suspending him or the guy will just leave , we need everyone to talk and teach new players thats the first thing to do, infront of new players we seem to be a "bunch of arrogant people who already know how to play.. so they can just gtfo"
( sorry for my english but i think you understand what im saying.)

About facebook , what about spamming some people and do more publicity , we should add new links like clan site or concord s blog , pictures , videos about the game , we have to make and keep the facebook page more active , everyone should post more on it , facebook is used by 500.000.000 persons this is one of the best publicity we can get , i think we could have some more people interested if we make this more attractive.

I cant say anything about twitter since i dont use it at all lol i dont even know how it really works.

Comp your idea is really cool , of course we need more publicity plus apparently its free :) talk to concord , he has a great blog , luzifer used to have one too , idk i think he would be ok to do that if he s a bit more active again. I think they could agree to help you with that , you need to ask them.

About tutorial , blogs are made to do that and if i can remember luzifer s blog has a fortress tutorial, if it still exists (i didnt check it for a while) we could all get an instant with the link and post it everytime a new player come to the game instead of just creating drama and just make polls, thats a beginning.. oh and what about starting to suspend people who tries to kick new players?

About pickup , everyone know i love it , but yea its killing the game since its killing public fort , new players cant even join it so never has a chance to test or improve at fortress , we need to find a solution.

If we dont react , when the current players will get busy with real life or will leave the game, the community will get smaller and smaller and the fortress game will lose interest.

its all depend on us , we are the players , we have to make this attractive and we have to help new players to understand the basics , thats not hard and it will help fortress mode a lot.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Well, I am doing the background work to do what I have stated. I just am looking for some of you to write....
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

FoFo wrote:If we dont react , when the current players will get busy with real life or will leave the game, the community will get smaller and smaller and the fortress game will lose interest.
:!: What are you panicking about, anyway? Armagetron has been around for ten years, and the Fortress game mode for about five. There's no overall decline in the number of players, and there has always been turnover—people who stick around for even a year or more have always been the exception, not the rule.

Besides, I've been waiting for high rubber, multibind abuse, fortress, sumo, ctf, shooting, special maps, "open," and all the rest of that crap to die for years, and they haven't.

And who are you to begrudge someone getting busy with real life? Surely that's more important than a video game.

(By the way, if you would actually bother to read the posts I linked to, the sort of tutorial I suggested would be a playable one, not just documentation. "Blogs?" How's that any better than the wiki?)