Shorthand authentication

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
foxx
Core Dumper

Shorthand authentication

Post by foxx »

I think that anyone should be able to have a shorthand auth, sure it's a privilege, but it's bullshit that only people that live up to tank's expectations get the pleasure. Rx has done nothing wrong, only trying to make the grids an even more enjoyable for you all. Maybe DF and some of Rx's technical team's creations aren't how you all intended tron to be, but most of them dedicate their free time for this open source game. Click here
Your authority must be free for everyone to join. Clan authorities that only authorize clan members are out.
Why? Why can't just the clan have their own private authentication? It's for the clan, not everybody.
Your authority must make a reasonable effort to give only one username to a single person; email verification is enough.
This is understandable, but why must you choose how we have our authentication mapped out?
It needs to either already have a couple of members or show promise for growth. We don't need Yet Another Dead Forum.
What if it's some kind of some tactical clan/unit that strive off of a couple people and wish to keep it that way? Why must we form our clan the way you want?

I think it's funny the sumo/fort clans can get an auth but clan's that focus on df and hr are frowned upon, such as AfroServers and Rx.
^Someone's mad ;)
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Shorthand authentication

Post by Z-Man »

Shorthand auth reserves a very short letter sequence to your clan/auth. We're against reserving anything to anyone globally unless there is a very good reason. In this case, we expect openness, quality and relevance.
foxx wrote:I think it's funny the sumo/fort clans can get an auth but clan's that focus on df and hr are frowned upon, such as AfroServers and Rx.
Examples, not generalizations, please. I bet those clans stick to the first rule you don't agree with. It certainly has nothing to do with game types.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

How come Mazuffer has his own authority? Presuming you guys didn't help him with it, he must have been able to do it himself?

Sorry its a bit off-topic :P
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Maz' auth isn't shorthand:

yesihavemyownauthority@mazuffer.com vs yesihaveashorthandauthority@mazuffer

Anyone with a webserver can create their own authority
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Oh thanks for clearing that up for me :)
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

As I've attempted to already explain foxx, it is not just about those criterion. At least, those aren't the only ones I've used when giving out shorthands. It is more accurately, about convincing me you deserve it. Very arbitrary sounding I know, but that's the only way I describe it. I need to feel good about handing it out is generally the thing, but I will happily be overruled by Z-man and Lucifer as a sort of appeals process. (This does not mean pester them, like I have been.)