armagetron server search bar..

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
killerkiley

armagetron server search bar..

Post by killerkiley »

I think we should have a search bar for the servers because sometimes, us blondes, have trouble finding some servers... :(
foxx
Core Dumper

Re: armagetron server search bar..

Post by foxx »

killerkiley wrote:I think we should have a search bar for the servers because sometimes, us blondes, have trouble finding some servers... :(
+1
^Someone's mad ;)
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Perhaps the ArmaTool might be worth looking at.

http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 55&t=18304

Not unless you meant "in-game".
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

You are aware you can sort servers alphabetically (although, granted, it has become far too fashionable for admins to abuse that by beginning their server names with symbols—even if it's not for the purpose of bumping it to the top of the list, it's still annoying), and also bookmark servers you like?

I'm just going to assume that an in-game search function, if even feasible, would be a ways off, anyway. In the meantime, you have the above.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

If there are servers that you truly love, you should use the function in the server browser that most people seem to ignore: scoring. You can use the "+" and "-" signs on your keyboard to increase or decrease the score that Armagetron assigns a given server. So I can more easily find my favorite servers, I have them scored in an organized fashion. My least favorites are scored negatively.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, problem with that, at least in my experience, is that any that aren't given a score constantly change. Some servers I've never entered will end up with scores in the 300+ range; while another I may play with some (relative) regularity, yet also haven't given a score, will continually fluctuate and may be in the 30's much of the time. Say wha? So, the handful of servers I've given positive scores to all have to be set way up around 1000+ just so they aren't overtaken by some random server I've never played. (And even the scores I set sometimes fluctuate.) And I believe negatively scored servers won't even get polled, right?

Oh, is it in the pipe to make it possible to sort the server browser by bookmarked servers? I can't recall.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Yeah the score bias function blows. I would love that whole field ditched for something more useful. The meaningfulness of scoring servers is past its time, IMO.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I have actually had some success with the scoring by scoring servers I like >1000+
Alma

Post by Alma »

Yes. There have been times that I've been looking for a specific server that was empty (full ones are not too hard to find if u set it to sort servers with users). Well I wished I could type in all or part of the name, and have only the results show. That would helpful imho.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, Gene. That'll work, but it's the only way to get it to be at all useful.

But, I mean, for example, just now I looked and 'Original Arcade'—which I play as much as anything right now (until those two I usually prefer to play come back, nudge nudge :P )—had a score of -10. 'Maze-A-Tron,' which I just played the other day for a good while, was at -50. Meanwhile, 'Advanced Racing'—which I haven't entered in months, and that was only to get someone—had a score of 400. (All AoT servers delivered a ping of 41ms.)

Wildcat (ping 125), Cheers (125ms) Spacezone III (152ms), and Dogfight (41ms)—none of which I ever, ever play—had scores of 392, 362, 350, and 334, respectively. (Pud Muddle appears to be down, so dunno on that one, but it's always fluctuating—kinda like everyone's ping there.)

I know a few factors go into determining the score, but that's just goofy. Certainly the AoT ones make no sense.

Alma, same advice: Bookmark the server, give it a 1000+ score bias, and/or just sort the list alphabetically (left/right arrow key until 'Server Name' is highlighted).

Hey, I think I was playing with you in 'Original Arcade' the other day.
killerkiley

Post by killerkiley »

Phytotron wrote:You are aware you can sort servers alphabetically (although, granted, it has become far too fashionable for admins to abuse that by beginning their server names with symbols—even if it's not for the purpose of bumping it to the top of the list, it's still annoying), and also bookmark servers you like?

I'm just going to assume that an in-game search function, if even feasible, would be a ways off, anyway. In the meantime, you have the above.
I'm actually very aware of that, but as some people said in the post I made, there is actually some people that would think it would be helpful. Also, how can you rate a server if you can't even find it?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

killerkiley wrote:Also, how can you rate a server if you can't even find it?
At the current number of servers, if a server can't be found in the alphabetic sort mode, it's its own fault.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron wrote:You are aware you can sort servers alphabetically (although, granted, it has become far too fashionable for admins to abuse that by beginning their server names with symbols—even if it's not for the purpose of bumping it to the top of the list, it's still annoying), and also bookmark servers you like?

Actually, epsy pushed an update through about a year and a half ago that causes the server browser to ignore anything but an alphabetic character.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Cool. But is that in 0.3 or for 0.4? It's obviously not in 0.2.8.3.1.
epsy

Post by epsy »

You're right, it's not in stable. A search function is a good idea, but I'm not sure how fragile the server list UI is...