Massive Team Sumo / Sumo War

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Minefield

Massive Team Sumo / Sumo War

Post by Minefield »

I've always wanted to see a team sumo where rather than having 45378943 teams of two, there would be a bunch of people on one team or the other.

Two teams, 4 or 5 players on each team.

The ~|DS|~ almost had something when they created their "SumcomFort" server, but there were just too many gimmicks there to really focus on the sumo'ing.

Alot of other players have thought of this kind of thing before, but for one reason or another (mostly because it was them against a bunch of "purists"), it has never come to light.

If someone out there feels like giving me a hard-on (or just giving back to the community), create a team sumo with 2 large teams.

PS: This might also be a way to incorporate sumo clan wars...
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

You must enter a message when posting.
Attachments
settings_custom.cfg.gz
An old server I had kept up. Two teams fighting in a big zone, with much rubber, shooting and respawning, forces on pushing the opponents out. (NOT a gzip archive, but plain text)
(3.31 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Mine: Like I said to you in sumo today, if I had a server I would have already done that. It will surely be made in the future, either by someone else or by me.
Playing since December 2006
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

The team with the best player will always win even if his teammates are bots.
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

i love the sound of it. sumo dynamics with fortress team work.

but what do i know.../me is a noob :P
he said.
Minefield

Post by Minefield »

The team with the best player will always win even if his teammates are bots.
Not necessarily. With as many people as the teams would have, it's not unlikely that their would be some tag-team action.

If it comes down to a group of players against one major problem of a player, they'd figure a way to gang up on the guy/girl.

The idea is basically a treasure-trove of strategic ingenuity and possibility that we have yet to explore.
QUARG
Round Winner

Post by QUARG »

You would need a huge zone to hold all those players then once you were down to 2 there would be way too much space to cover to make it interesting. I have a server cfg and map called rumble which has 8 players per team. The map can be found in the resource.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Quarg, I don't agree. The zone would shrink and players would get core dumped/erradicated roughly proportionally to the amount of shrinkage. Certainly with decent players it would be fine.
Playing since December 2006
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

Yeh, it would totally work. Sounds cool!
Puuquie
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Puuquie »

Curiously I was posting about this in internal Ct forum some days ago. :o
Only 1 sumo zone, bigger than actual and 16 players in the same zone playing individual or in teams of 8 players.
This would be the first step to do a Clan Sumo Tourney.
Why teams are always of 2 players as maximun?. Why cant we do a Clan Sumo Tourney with teams of 8 players as laddle?.
The start place would be the same that in fortress, but the zone to conquer wasnt in the opposite place of the start. All the map would be the zone to conquer, and It would start to shrink. A mix between sumo and fortress laddle.

Maybe in few days if my Ct teamates help me because I have no idea of making maps (and they are helping me :D) we can have a new concept.
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

my home-hosted server ran a 4v4 sumo for a while and yes, people liked it a lot, even if settings were a bit different from classic sumo, and respawn was on, and even if it was awfully laggy :D
Durka wrote:The team with the best player will always win even if his teammates are bots.
Almost true, but it will often lose if there's a noob-team-killer
QUARG
Round Winner

Post by QUARG »

Puuquie here is the link to the map i made for 8vs8.

http://beta.armagetronad.net/resource-b ... .aamap.xml
Puuquie
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Puuquie »

Ok. Thanks very much :)