Music, for the thousandth time

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Lucifer wrote:Ok, here's a zip file. Unzip it to your 0.3.0 arma installation directory...
Sounds great man, worked like a charm. Your new "titletrack" kicks ass! I was, like, "yeah, rock that s#!t."

Hey, before we go on I should probably mention that not all the sounds in Arma 0.3.0 play for me. I have no "cyclrun", "grind" works sporadically, and "expl" seems to play off-time occasionally. I don't think I've heard the "zone_spawn" either. And, the volume mix is weird. I'm running XP Pro on a IBM T30 laptop with a sound-blaster compatible soundcard (so, what is that, Ensonic chipset?).

Anyway, I tried playing only a single track to check the loop/splice points and was pleased to hear no pause. However, music volume had to be adjusted each time I restarted Arma.

I like where this is going. :)
Zero V2
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Zero V2 »

Electric Turtle wrote:
Zero V2 wrote:Only one problem--I don't have any samples to work with!

I can't provide any decent precussion! It's just raw sound without any samples!
Aw c'mon man, that's a cop-out. You obviously have access to the Internet, which means you have access to unfathomable amounts of music-making tools. I know you were just trying to be clever with the "chiptune" remark, but I would like genuinely like to see more people interested in music for Arma. Simply for my own sake, I always like to hear the work of my peers because it inspires me. So, please consider it. You clearly have the idea; just work on the execution. :)
No, you don't understand.

I don't need music making tools. I already have them! I don't have any samples I can work with, I can't transfer anything into 8-bit unless I use raw sound! Not only that, but-...

...I know where to find some samples.
Zero V2
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Zero V2 »

Okay. I'm starting to write a song. I'm writing it in Famitracker, which unfortunately means I'll either have to re-record it or open it with another program to show you! Ouch!

I'll get back to you on this. I'm not done with the song in the first place, so it will be a lot of time until I'm done.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I've cut up one of the tracks (RMA15) into smaller segments and sequenced it in the aatrack file. There were a couple playback problems.

First, some passages in the sequence section that should have repeated did not. Second, the gap between the segments was large enough to be distracting. I think gap-less playback would give us the ability to fine tune the player's experience with music.
Attachments
aatrack_test.zip
The files in the .zip below are an un-mastered version of the track RMA15.
(1.91 MiB) Downloaded 170 times
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Hey, pretty good stuff there, Turtle! I've always been partial to different timings besides the ol' 4/4. The 6/4 works out pretty well. Unfortunately, I don't use 0.3, but I'll stick it in Winamp sometime and checkout how it works ingame.

I've been trying to get my own Tron music going, but between work and other musical endeavors.... I hardly ever have the time. (heh... hardly any time, but i'm on the grid a lot. lol) But I'll get something put together soon enough. :D
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
Zero V2
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Zero V2 »

Hey? Guess what? I'm back with a track in 8-bit.

It's in the attachment. Depending on your media player settings, the song may end at 3:00--but the song repeats forever when played without fade-out (it's a chiptune! That's what they do unless coded to!).

This isn't much, and it's short--but it gives you an idea of what it's like. It has alot of charm, you must admit...
Attachments
Armagetron 2.zip
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 182 times
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

It sounds cool, but I think it's missing something to make it successful in game music. What comes to my mind is depth. One tune, one tune and percussion, same tune but lower... It feels to me like an introduction to a proper piece and then you go on a variation to that theme and then it's over. It doesn't really feel loopy to me. Possibly because of rests between each note I feel like there should be something else in there. If I do a quick comparison to some of my favorite 8-bit game music from Tetris, it starts with a full variety of sounds right off the bat. While being a much shorter clip, ~40 seconds, it manages to satisfy me more.

Not that what you've got isn't great, I doubt I could do that much.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

I tried to find a download for the theme song to M.U.L.E., that's imo the all-time greatest song to come out of that particular video game period.

Yeah, I'd like to see this riff turned into a something less motif-like and more expressive.

Edit: Find a good midi version:

http://mosh.nokia.com/content/3757AACF7 ... 0AEE047C92

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

It's cool. I think I'd have a hard time writing something like that.
Last edited by sinewav on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zero V2
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Zero V2 »

Tank Program wrote:It sounds cool, but I think it's missing something to make it successful in game music. What comes to my mind is depth. One tune, one tune and percussion, same tune but lower... It feels to me like an introduction to a proper piece and then you go on a variation to that theme and then it's over. It doesn't really feel loopy to me. Possibly because of rests between each note I feel like there should be something else in there. If I do a quick comparison to some of my favorite 8-bit game music from Tetris, it starts with a full variety of sounds right off the bat. While being a much shorter clip, ~40 seconds, it manages to satisfy me more.

Not that what you've got isn't great, I doubt I could do that much.
That' because I only used two instruments, utilizing only the square and noise channels.

Again, that was only very simple. It could be much more complex.
XzL.Smart
Round Winner

Post by XzL.Smart »

***I did not make this***

http://www.imeem.com/people/CVaL41L/mus ... lay_music/

http://www.imeem.com/people/CVaL41L/mus ... enu_music/

If someone directs me to a music uploading site that people can download from, I will upload them.

Cause that thing at the bottom will not do anything for me

Last edited by XzL.Smart on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

XzL.Smart, I think your tracks sound great! I know a lot of people listen to that style of music when playing. Personally, I lean towards techno that sounds more like John Selway; deeper and more psychedelic. Maybe I could remix your track? What did you use to make it?
XzL.Smart
Round Winner

Post by XzL.Smart »

NeXus + nordwave

Last edited by XzL.Smart on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flex
Round Winner

Post by Flex »

First one sounds nice. Nice one! :)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Smart, I'm going to ask you to read this whole post before getting angry, because I took away a positive experience and I don't want you to lose that.

First, I didn't really like this as arma music, sorry. I could go into detail about why, and you could fix it, and for some reason I don't think we'd end up at a point where we'd be in agreement. If you want me to work with you to develop this into a music pack, I'll be happy to do that, and then you can just tell me to go **** myself while you release your music pack and people love it.

However, I did find lots of things I liked. So naturally, I'll tell you why I didn't really like it. First, I don't like the way techno tends to ebb and flow, and come to quiet single-instrument sections (usually some keyboard noise), and you do that a lot. That's probably just my personal taste, since techno bands do it so much and obviously people like it. I like movements, and I'm a big fan of classical/symphonic music, believe it or not, and I like music that moves the way the old stuff did. But the important part is that both links are motifs. There's some interesting stuff going on, and some cool melodies, but the songs themselves are motifs. I know from experience that motifs are boring for in-game music, and can get really annoying otherwise. The most common complaint about motifs is that they "just do the same thing over and over". Well, yeah, duh, that's what a motif is. :)

You did a good job, though. I actually enjoyed the music, even if my negative criticisms (which I always give first because I'm an evil prick) might indicate otherwise. I don't normally enjoy techno music that much, but I wont' lie and say I really loved it, because I didn't. But I did decide something else.

I want to make music with you. I thought that your melodies were very nice and very interesting, and I wanted to hear them developed, and in many parts I could feel my own fingers twitching, wanting to give some accompaniment to the melody. I think that if we were to throw in together without killing each other, we'd put out some pretty good music together. Are you interested? I'll be giving rock/metal guitars and bass, and we'll probably fight over the drum track, but if we can work out our differences, I think there's plenty of room for a good, positive collaboration, independent of arma music. What do you think?

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden