Music

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Ok, I think this discussion is going someplace that might end in people wanting to collaborate. Here's the issue, and the solution:

The issue is sound card timing. If you tune up your instrument with your tuner, record a track and send it to me, and I tune up my instrument with my tuner, we will be out of tune. It's because your sound card timer is slightly off from mine. For more information on this, you'll have to google. The specific situation people usually talk about is using a bunch of cheap PCI sound cards to create a multi-track recorder, which is still to be considered impossible because of sound card timing issues.

However, if each of us is only using one sound card each, we have some control over making sure we're all in tune with one another. The simple and obvious solution is: Use your sound card as your tuner. If you use your sound card to tune, and I use my sound card to tune, the timer issue magically goes away. Since the difference in frequency due to timer is small enough, we won't notice the difference. However, if we tuned up on our own special tuners, we would notice the difference, we'd always be off-key.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Concord
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Concord »

Could tempo and volume
be related to speed and rubber usage?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Concord wrote:Could tempo and volume
be related to speed and rubber usage?
No.

Well, not exactly. The sound engine I want is much more complicated. Lemme dig up the thread where I proposed it, a long, long time ago.

Edit:
http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 4650#14650

What I've got in mind is much more detailed, but the bar to make a sound track would be very high. For this reason, I'm looking to make a simpler system that just loops single tracks and is extensible enough that when/if we figure out how to measure the action in a meaningful way, the sound engine can be modified to suit it. It's my intention already to structure the resource xml schema to include such information from the beginning, even if it isn't used at all, ever. It at least helps to document each track. :)

- Iron Maiden
Misery
Round Winner

Post by Misery »

Well... since nobody has posted any replies from my last post on this thread, I decided to find something worthy for "Tron music". I found this cool little midi file with the Trom theme from the movie. I've already transcribed it into guitar tab. But my hectic schedule prevents me from laying down some guitar tracks.

I decided to do it metal style (kinda like what Stemage did with his Metroid Metal stuff), with heavy distortion and pounding drumwork. Here is the midi file to check out for yourselves to get an idea of what I'm working on...

For those who care... I'll keep you posted.
Attachments
OEML-12764.zip
Tron theme
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
~Leonard Bernstein
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Haha, Misery. I did respond to your post, I just didn't luke-jr it to death.

Hey, can you do a bzr checkout sometime of the trunk and check out the title theme that's in it? It's not the same one that's in 0.3.0, and it's more tron-like. Then reread my post that really did respond to yours and compare what I said to that particular track. :)

I can give you some tab for it sometime, if I can remember it anyway. It shouldn't be that hard for you to find the notes, though.

- Iron Maiden
Thilo
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Thilo »

it'd be cool to have like 10 tracks and each one transitions seamlessly to the other, so you could randomize them and never know where one starts and the next begins. so all tempo fluctuations and key changes happen within the tracks, but they all start and end on the same key/tempo