Using CVS client on 2.6/2.7 servers -> bends, rips, &

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Using CVS client on 2.6/2.7 servers -> bends, rips, &

Post by dlh »

I was playing at swampys trying to get a video of a bug I have been experiencing with the cvs client on 2.7 and older servers. I didnt get a video that, but instead got one of a wall bend. (video link in sig). [God]Owns said he got a screenshot of the bend.

I will update if I get a video of the bug I am experiencing (related to rubber).
[God]Owns,Bitch

Post by [God]Owns,Bitch »

I got mucho pictures...

Enjoy

I also got [God]Bob on the other side of the wall...

Enjoy
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

[God]Owns,Bitch wrote:Image
I couldn't see them with the CVS version (which is already horribly outdated - about one day old), like nemo.
This was of course visible.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Thanks for the video/pictures.

Rips and wall bends are both indirect phenomena that occur on server and clients independently. When you do something rippy/bendy, all buggy clients and the server have a chance of showing a rip/bend.

Since the things you have to do to cause rips and bends are known ( driving close to the rim ), it is possible for the fixed server to protect the connected clients: it simply does not allow them all to get close to the rim. For the new client however, things are different. If we modify it so it does no longer get dangerously close to the rim, users of the new client would be at a disadvantage relative to users of the old client. I will add that option for philantropes, though :)

Nemo got pushed away from the wall by the server side code that tries to keep objects confined inside the rim wall bounds. That code assumes that the rim is convex, which it is not as soon as it gets bent. ( It's the same code that keeps players from driving far away of the arena when there is a small rip and they get through. It breaks down as soon as a whole side is missing. ) And since the bend was on the server and the new client listens to the server, the consequences are felt on the client.

How did Bob get out there? Was there a rip, too, or did he tunnel through the wall?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I was in there when it happened, but I didn't look how (or at least where) he got out there. :oops: AFAIK there were no rips.
[God]Owns,Bitch

Post by [God]Owns,Bitch »

All Bob did was make a nasty pure, and probaby adjusted and upon his 180 he was outside the wall.

No rip/ben occured. He was just straight chillin'
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

If the bend had a nasty corner, he may have been pushed out by the same code that pushed Nemo around.