Better Server Browser in 2.8, Please

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Better Server Browser in 2.8, Please

Post by dlh »

It would be nice to be able to sort by name, players, and ping. And please remove the ability for servers to have color code in their names. They seem to screw up my list sometimes. Also, I've seen that sometimes a server says it has 1 player on it, but there is no one there. Is this just a little trick so their server goes to the top of the list?

Thanks
-nemostultae / = / free kill

Lucifer
Project Developer & Local Moonshiner

Post by Lucifer »

How about a bookmarks list? ;) I get tired of watching 45 servers go across my screen that I usually don't care about, and I'd prefer to see just a few that I do care about. ;)

Also, some way for servers to link up in the list would be nice. For example, I could store a list of all Breakfast servers on each of mine, and they'd all be listed together. Then I could bookmark them as a group. ;)

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Would settle for a name filter guys? That's what I was thinking about...

Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

but now it sorts on scores, right? and then on # players in it?

anyway, it would be nice if there was a button 2 set server sort (so u can group tiger servers or something like that)

root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

what about a standalone appication that you can run to see who is in the servers without openeing armagetron? like the all seeing eye, possibly even with the ability to join a server through it. that'd be very convenient
stakes is high

Sabarai
The Former Man of Cheese

Post by Sabarai »

it'd be faster to go into arma though, u'll have 2 load the whole "all-seeing-eye"-like program and the let it load..... so it won't be better anyway :)

(*500*)

root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

a third party server browser affords the convenience of not having to open the game to see that nobody is on the server(s) you'd like to play on. it would also make refreshing the server list quicker, as instead of having to go back to internet game, etc, you just hit "refresh"
stakes is high

SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

I think it would be nice to see this stuff into the atron browser itself.

The "sort by X" & ability to refresh existing server list instead of "get new" always..

but since there isnt "always" a mouse cursor in armagetron, that actually
clicks on stuff, by default..

it'd have to be in the options screen somewhere else how you sort?,
and how would you select the "refresh" thingy too..?

the current server browser is a bit slow & stuff.. but it does the job, & i dont feel like i'm missing servers that arent showing up.. (like in shooters)
hence using a.s.e.

anyways, a.s.eye is a cool program & stuff, but i think i'd continue to use the built in browser even if there were a.s.e. support for armagetron.

also, i agree color codes should be stripped out of server name, & player names, but i'd love to see it come back for the in-game text & popups ;p

iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

i would like to have the ability to select server name and port from the command line so that i can create several simple batch files on my desktop to directly connect to my favorite servers without needing the master server at all

example create a batch file on desktop called 'my favorite.bat' containing

armagetron.exe -servername http://xxxxxxxx.xxx -serverport 45xx

edit: maybe i should write this being on the dev team and all :lol: :lol:
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif

Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

iceman wrote:edit: maybe i should write this being on the dev team and all :lol: :lol:
yeah...

philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

SuPeRTaRD wrote: The "sort by X" & ability to refresh existing server list instead of "get new" always..
Possible implementation
Right and left arrow change the focus on different colums, sorting by logical order on each: ie
-When sorting by rtt/ping, sort assending, placing all the 0 and non answering servers afterward.
-When sorting by score, sort decending, giving you server you (most probably) play often on (hence the high score) [Dont argue about that detail plz]

R for reload.

But no "automatic reload every X seconds". Instead, change the master server code to push update every X seconds to everyone listening.
SuPeRTaRD wrote: it'd have to be in the options screen somewhere else how you sort?,
and how would you select the "refresh" thingy too..?
OPTIONAL: save prefered view for the master list in the options.
SuPeRTaRD wrote: the current server browser is a bit slow & stuff.. but it does the job, & i dont feel like i'm missing servers that arent showing up.. (like in shooters)
hence using a.s.e.
My understanding of the master server is that it gives you a list of the servers it knows about. From that, your client goes and attempt to connect to them, extracting your information, and evaluating the distance for you (rtt/ping).

The process of rtt/ping evaluation is slow. There is no other way than for your client to send a message to each server and wait for the answer from that game server.

A.S.E would just use the same code, but from a standing app.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.

dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

*bump* I'd still like this :D

Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I'd like a list of favorite servers.

Edit: didn't look for "bookmarks". See this post as some kind of vote.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn

n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

favourite servers === bookmarks

afaics to get this one needs:
- new menu item "favourites" or similar
- new file storing the values of "favourites"
- a way to add servers from the big server list or manually, probably just a keypress when having a server selected, manually can be done in the file
- a way to remove servers from the favourites list or manually, probably just a keypress when having a server selected, manually can be done in the file

doesn't sound too complicated, anyone feel like doing it? (I think at least z-man and maybe others have more advanced stuff they're working on)

dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

n54 wrote:favourite servers === bookmarks

afaics to get this one needs:
- new menu item "favourites" or similar
- new file storing the values of "favourites"
- a way to add servers from the big server list or manually, probably just a keypress when having a server selected, manually can be done in the file
- a way to remove servers from the favourites list or manually, probably just a keypress when having a server selected, manually can be done in the file

doesn't sound too complicated, anyone feel like doing it? (I think at least z-man and maybe others have more advanced stuff they're working on)
I've already implented a fav servers that you edit manually in my client (I limited my list to 4 servers, it could easily be larger however). The interface needs work, heres what I think I'll do.

Network Game Menu
-LAN
-Internet
-Favorite Servers (Bookmarks)
- etc...

Favorite Servers (Bookmarks)
- Fav 1 - Swampland - swamplandsip:port <-- this leads you to a menu where u can config it
--connect to Swampland

- Fav 2 - Breakfast in Hell - theIPaddress:port
--connect to Breakfast in Hell

Example of favorite server config

Favorite 1
-Display Name - Swampland
-Server Address - whatstheIP?
-Port - 4534
-Reset Favorite 1
-Save Favorite and Exit Menu

I'll work on adding a server from the master list with --> key or something. Sounds akward though.

Sorry for the poorly formatted post :S . Ill take this on unless z-man wants to do it (would turn out better :wink: )