armagetronad.sf.net

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

armagetronad.sf.net

Post by Tank Program »

I changed our sourceforge URL to point to the welcome thread we just posted as this is where everything is happening, and the site was crap anyway.
klax
Project Developer

Post by klax »

Nice idea, but I think it will be better to host a simple frontpage here in guru3 the way it was before (with a link to sourceforge downloads of armagetronad) but always linking to these great forums ;)
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Possibly, but as I can't design for shit, linking here is best cause here looks good.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

My own personnal comment:

Comming directly to the forum skips a step.

I was showing up the game to someone today, so of course to install it on his pc, I went to the web-page to get the exec. But bam I got to the forum. And I dont know where to find the exec in the forum!

Could someone with fairy fingers when it comes to html make us a nice page? I think the minimum it would contain would be something like:
-Short presentation
-- A 5 points "how-to play" tutorial. Something very simple. just cover the basics. A 'glance and go'. Something like
---- 1. The objective of the game is to survive. The best strategy remain to go and eliminate your opponents by trapping them or making them collide in a wall.
---- 2. Moving. You can stir the cycle around the arena. The default keys are ....
-Some game screen shots.
---- 3. Looking around you. It is often usefull to have quick outlook around you. You can look around your cycle by moving the mouse and by using the arrow keys.
---- 4. Speed is the key. You either have not enought or too much of it. It is possible to loose some by using the brake by pressing 'v' (default key). Gaining speed is a bit more tricky. Driving along side a trace will make your cycle go faster. The closer you are to the trace, the greater the gain is.
---- 5. Once you have had a few try, why not come to some server on Internet and play with us. We will help you develop your skills. And we beleive it is much more enjoyable than competing agains the bots.
[Something like this that just covers the absolute basics, that doesnt drown the player under tons of details. Surely you will find junk to be removed from this first draft]
-The downloadable version (fit your OS here, src) [Have the dedicated server apart.]
-Maybe a "to improve the look of the game, there are some sets of textures and models available. In armagetron, theses are named moviepacks. Here is the original one, inspired by the movie (link for download + screenshots). Many more are available. A short list is being compiled here(link) for your conveninence.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

ok, i've added a link to the sf.net files page in the welcome message... but yeah, we need some1 who can actually do good web design
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

if it's just one page i think i can help you with that.. although my spare time is.. spare. i definatly have some time next weekend
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Hmmm...

Post by GOD »

At this point are you no longer promoting the use of 0.2.6, and thus armagetron.sourceforge.net is obsolete (so to speak)? If not, what's wrong with that setup? Very functoinal IMO, why not use a similar design for 0.2.7, and subsequent releases? Is 0.2.7 a complete fork of 0.2.6 (different developers, credits, code, etc)? I'm not familiar with the workings of maintenance for the game. Damn, 6:13am, I think I'm going to skip class tonight. Oh, but shit, I had a lot I wanted to do today... wow, I must be tired, I'm writing my thoughts into the post for no reason what so ever, and I'm still doing it. Blast, and I'm too tired to turn it into a clever pun, annecdote, or witty remark. Save me, signature!

Ah, but before I go: my semester will be ending shortly, and I'll have about a month of spare time (assuming I don't get a job, or opt to take additional classes in the short period), so perhaps I can offer my "limited" web design experience. Why not ask Evil Inside? He's clearly a capable web developer. Did you look at his page exposing the chat code? Very nice, and I kid you not, as taking a glance at the source (suspecting something nasty lurking behind the offer) revealed what looked to be a work around for an embedded host banner, or something. Not quite sure what it was. I did like the page, short, simple, to the point. Something you don't see a lot of these days. Think of the people using lynx!
"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but my words will destroy your mind." - O.O.G.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Lackadaisical wrote:if it's just one page i think i can help you with that.. although my spare time is.. spare. i definatly have some time next weekend
If you could come up with something that looks good... That'd be great. We could even write the text for it :). Just like with a menu at the top with links to here, the project page, and the downloads page would be great.
Tank Program

Re: Hmmm...

Post by Tank Program »

GOD wrote:At this point are you no longer promoting the use of 0.2.6, and thus armagetron.sourceforge.net is obsolete (so to speak)? If not, what's wrong with that setup? Very functoinal IMO, why not use a similar design for 0.2.7, and subsequent releases? Is 0.2.7 a complete fork of 0.2.6 (different developers, credits, code, etc)? I'm not familiar with the workings of maintenance for the game.
Strictly speaking, we recomend that people upgrade to Armagetron Advanced for the new features, and in the future new features such as shaped arenas, custom skins, which will mostlikely not be backward compatible. armagetron.sf.net is by no means obsolete- it's the original armagetron page. I'd prefer not to use that design tho because that's z-mans design, now ours. Armagetron Advanced is a fork continuing to enhance Armagetron, as those of us with the spare time to work on Armagetron did not think it proper to attempt a take over of the project. As it is a fork, it uses the 0.2.6.0 Armagetron code, but we've simply built upon it.
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

spiffy

Post by GOD »

Tank:
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I still haven't really had a desire to switch to 0.2.7, I just don't have a need for the new features I've heard it offers. Not to mention being fond of some of the "features" it took away; namely the colored text. I think next in names, and chat, should be an option dealt with without the 0x###### system. I put a color code in my name because I find the white background, though necessary, ugly: I use a black bike with a black tail. If I could, I would switch to a red bike, with a black tail (or as black as the game'll allow >_<), but the current setup prevents such a combination.

I know what you mean about taking over the project, but has z-man been working on it at all? Perhaps one could message him for advice, or permission, which would make it a hand off, and not a forceful take. That would be the courteous thing to do, regardless. I just think the game, as wonderful as it is, could use a lot of work. Is anyone in contact with z-man? I'm sure he could be quite a useful resource if anyone ever wanted to revamp and clean his entire code. Anyway, I'm still awake from last night, I need a nap.
"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but my words will destroy your mind." - O.O.G.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

The color codes thing was removed because it destroys text centering, which really screws up display fatures, which I know dissatifies me in 99% of the cases. I am working on a way in which afore said codes are converted into the method the game uses for handling things. And have you checked out majinations color tail picker for overloading bike/tail colors to see if your combination is possible? There has been no direct communication with z-man regarding Armagetron in over year afaik, I mean, we've sent e-mails, but no responses.
GOD
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by GOD »

Tank Program wrote:The color codes thing was removed because it destroys text centering, which really screws up display fatures, which I know dissatifies me in 99% of the cases.
    Yeah, I figured that's why it was removed. I agree that the offcenter aspect it creates is annoying, and, although I haven't taken the look it deserves, I'm thinking it wouldn't be impossible to fix... probably hard, though, given the disperse nature of the code.
Tank Program wrote:And have you checked out majinations color tail picker for overloading bike/tail colors to see if your combination is possible?
    No, I was unaware that such a program (?) existed, perhaps you could be so kind as to point me in the right direction? Though I have been told that such possibilities were impossible, as the game doesn't allow a lighter bike color than the tail.
Tank Program wrote:There has been no direct communication with z-man regarding Armagetron in over year afaik, I mean, we've sent e-mails, but no responses.
    That is a pity, it's always a shame to lose the creator of a wonderful program. Hopefully everything is alright, and nothing unfortunate has happend to our beloved Z-man.

Incidentally, when I posted the "Tank:" post I got yelled at about posting too soon after a previous post, luckily it still posted. If it hadent I would have been shit out of luck, as my text would have been lost for good, perhaps someone could add a little hack to this forum to prevent losing writing in the event of an error? My school has a terrible system for their web based email service, my sessions always time out before I've finished writing a letter, and when I click send it informs me so, and I lose everything I've written, quite frustrating.