Bug Report

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Mecca
Match Winner

Bug Report

Post by Mecca »

In 2.7 there is a color bug.

you cant have a color code in youre name and have your bike and tail a different color at the same time...

I hope that this bug and Rips (I think there technicalyu bugs)can be fixed in the next version of Armagetron.
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Post by llaffer2 »

That's called a bug FIX. The ability to change colors were the result of a bug.
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

these are also bugs

cycle_brake negative (press brake for turbo)
cycle_accel negative (grinding slows you down)
winzone_initial_size negative (win zone starts large gets smaller then bigger again !)

the list could go on and on

some of these bugs i would call features and should be left in the game

the bike & wall color bug does no harm at all and helps distinguish between players

i can understand why you removed the text color bug to stop the name spoof hack but maybe instead of removing color completely you should just check the color code for valid length and only remove it if nessesary
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

and there's this other bug. my cycle keeps crashing into stuff.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

iceman wrote:these are also bugs

cycle_brake negative (press brake for turbo)
cycle_accel negative (grinding slows you down)
winzone_initial_size negative (win zone starts large gets smaller then bigger again !)

the list could go on and on

some of these bugs i would call features and should be left in the game

the bike & wall color bug does no harm at all and helps distinguish between players

i can understand why you removed the text color bug to stop the name spoof hack but maybe instead of removing color completely you should just check the color code for valid length and only remove it if nessesary
While I would agree that some of these should be left as features, I'd tend towards rearranging them completely to make them more supportive of other things. Such as instead of a win zone being either a win zone or a kill zone, how about just changing your cycle accel while you're in it? Anyway, without getting off on a tangent...

I'd suggest the bike and wall color bug *should* have been removed, in order to make way for a better way of handling it. Which, iirc, is what's planned right now, possibly with code to support it already in place.
iceman

Post by iceman »

i still think i would have left the bike & wall thing in until the new menu driven? feature was fully tested
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

iceman wrote:i still think i would have left the bike & wall thing in until the new menu driven? feature was fully tested
Great, that would be great. The only thing I'm seeing is that there is a fairly decent chance it wasn't possible to do so, or that someone embarked on this mission with exactly that goal and then had to turn away from it before finishing (a common phenomena in open source projects).

I'd suggest that while we want to think critically, we don't want to try to micromanage the project, since they're not likely to accept our micromanagement and it would just be counter-productive. :)

Not trying to make mountains out of molehills, I just see several emails a day cross the many developer's lists I follow that come from people who aren't ever going to actually rip open the code and work on it telling the developers who are working on it how to program.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

i was planning on fixing the color text "bug", so that it was handled with the native color text routine, instead of the hexcode hack.
Zapple
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Zapple »

It could be cool to see noobs in a color, and as they get better, their color changes. Like noobs=yellow, pros=white?
ishAdmin
Match Winner

Post by ishAdmin »

Maybe the dot on top could be based on ladder position at the start of a round. Even if it slowly changed from black to white (or yellow).

I wish I had the time to learn C and contribute to the coding, but I just don't have it (the time that is). Anybody want a cobol version?
iceman

Post by iceman »

the only reason im not working on this myself is because im still unable to find a c++ compiler that is both compatible with windows 98 and will compile armagetron

now if armagetron was written in assembler :lol: i have plenty of assemblers that work just fine :lol:
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

iceman wrote:the only reason im not working on this myself is because im still unable to find a c++ compiler that is both compatible with windows 98 and will compile armagetron

now if armagetron was written in assembler :lol: i have plenty of assemblers that work just fine :lol:
Have you tried cygwin? Armagetron *should* compile with Cygwin, but you will have to spend some time with it to make it. It'll use the GNU build stuff that's already there, but since it uses MingW for the winAPI headers you'll have to tweak AA a tad to make it work right. I've managed to get several projects to build with Cygwin, I can help a bit. You may need to build and install SDL first, and you might need to cygwin dll's to run it.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

plans, plans

Post by /dev/null »

I also planned on either redoing the color code, allowing for more colors/more control over the two tone lines, or (And ill probably do this first since from first glance it looks easier) add menu support for it.
iceman

Post by iceman »

yeah i could do with some help just to get me going
i might be able to arrange access to a fast connection for downloading the compiler and librarys

gots some urls for me :)

much thanks
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

iceman wrote:yeah i could do with some help just to get me going
i might be able to arrange access to a fast connection for downloading the compiler and librarys

gots some urls for me :)

much thanks
http://www.cygwin.com/

It was once an independent company, now they're owned by RedHat. The whole system is open source, so it satisfies the problem of requiring a proprietary build system to build open source software in Windows. :) (So naturally I'm all over making open source apps build with Cygwin. In fact, it's what I use on the occasion that I get stuck programming on Windows and I can't just use Python)