The * District -- Overview

For the Inner, Middle, and Outer district servers.

Moderators: blane, moci

blane
Project Advisor

The * District -- Overview

Post by blane »

On a quick glance, here is what our servers are and what plans we have with the future. Currently we have three servers running, all located in germany. These are to be considered as Test-Servers, as we have not decided yet what servers will run permanently yet. At the present time we use them for testing and reviewing settings and code.

-- The Inner District (Hannover, .de)
-- The Outer District (Mannheim, .de)
-- The Middle District (Frankfurt/Main, .de)

The peering to all servers should be okay from europe, especially from germany. However, it's not quite as good as telia yet but once we decided to have a long-term permanent server it hopefully will get faster as we will move to a better location.

Outer should be online at all times, as it is our public testserver to monitor usual gameplay, traffic and so on. Mnita is controlling this server (not yet added to this forum).

The Inner District is run by me and should be online most of the times. However, sometimes the machine is used for other purposes, then it might be down.

The Middle District is under maintainance by Moci so it is primarily used for code testing. Of all three, this one is most likely to be down the most -- don't wonder, that's normal.

We have standard statistics on http://armagetron.sarnold.net -- but this is also only temporary as mnita is currently working on enhanced stats.

All servers run settings almost the same as Tiger Classic, check http://inner-district.org for detailed differences. I strongly back the basic tiger classic settings as i find them the best playable with the most fun.

Anyway, that's all I can think of now, any questions or comments please post here.

cheers,
blane
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

sounds great, altho i'll never understand why you people prefer permanent walls. ah well, guess it's my problem... :(
blane
Project Advisor

Post by blane »

permanent walls is the only way to make nice traps possible. don't forget, we have rubber_setting 4, that means there is always enough space to stay alive until some trails disappear. i experienced that while playing on Tiger Team (where trails are not infinite): If there is a situation 2-on-2 and all players are well-trained, it is IMPOSSIBLE to win without using the win-zone.

since win-zone is actually... uhm, could we patch that out, actually? :) it has to be possible to make predicted kills, i.e. you seal a wall or a trail and know that someone is behind you -- he might camp as long as he likes but finally he has to die. if trails aren't infinite, games can last very very long... especially if the players are balanced.

cheers,
blane
Seleucus
Project Graphics Designer

Post by Seleucus »

How bout extremly long tails, i love to maze so infinte tails poses a problem to this, could they just be really really long, is that possible, like 5 times how long they normally are in tiger servers, i agree 600 meters or whatever it is, is to short, but it is still nott hat difficult to kill people when you are the only two, you just follow at the walls which most people don't because it is dangerous and likely that you die, however if you can do this it seperates you from other players in a large way. Even if there is no change i don't really mind infinite walls since pesky double binders get trapped and can not wait it out.

-Seleucus
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

winzone can be turned into a deathzone or probably turned off entirely. either -1 or some huge # would probably work.

anyway, i understand your points about permawalls, but i look at it from a different point of view:

with expiring trails you get to keep going head-to-head against your opponent until finally one of them breaks. with permawalls you get far fewer confrontations and wind up spending most of your time dealing with mazes and treading water. it's just not as fun for me.

also your point about games lasting forever at tigers teamplay is true to some degree, especially in theory, but in practice does not usually turn out that way. especially if you have good players, they are going to take risks and the gamble will either pay off or backfire. but overrall i find the play much more entertaining with expiring walls, and anyway permawalls might never lead to infinite play, but on average the games seem to last longer,

nothing is worse then everyone waiting around for two players who are trapped to eventually make a mistake. there's no suspense, no real excitement, nothing. at least with expiring walls there's some liveliness in the air because you know those players are going to go head-to-head at some point, even if they are too chicken to grind. and players standing on the sidelines can always shout "stop running and fight" or something, which can be a little humiliating if that's what you are really doing to survive. what's the best thing someone can shout on the sidelines of a permawall game? "risk your life, fool, so we don't have to wait. you might just be able to fit through that tiny crack and get one more chance to take on the other guy!"

anyway, i understand both types of walls are perhaps a sentimental choice, so perhaps reasons are useless here. i'll come out and visit from time to time, just don't expect me to stay for long since i find the goshdarn servers the best form of the game so far (other than iceman's, of course). :D

-Prayer 1
nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

well, i may have to revise my feedback a little: inner district has added speed so that the games do end pretty quickly. it wound up being a fun time, so thanks for having me, blane. :)
blane
Project Advisor

Post by blane »

Yes I was experimenting with the speed factor. 2 is definitely too fast, but speed factor 1 (which is supposed to be double speed compared to tiger classic) looks fine to me. This is an experimental setting, though, i'd love to hear more comments about it.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

hey, just wanted to say i really enjoy the district servers, especially since goshdarn has gone lagtastic for me.. I was just wondering why you changed the explosion radius to zero?
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

i love non-eternal walls as it opens up for a lot of tactics and strategy

traps are completely possible with non-eternal walls but they need to be much smaller and wellmade

however that's just me and it would be an interesting devel idea to make the wall lenght options go higher so that serveradmins could explore with even longer but still not infinite walls

*completely off topic* if i had a server i'd try to find the best settings for the minimum wall lenght (still having fast speeds, or to be precise: fast grinding acceleration i.e. not something like nixda)
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

Post by locutus »

n54 wrote:i love non-eternal walls as it opens up for a lot of tactics and strategy

traps are completely possible with non-eternal walls but they need to be much smaller and wellmade

however that's just me and it would be an interesting devel idea to make the wall lenght options go higher so that serveradmins could explore with even longer but still not infinite walls
I agree...traps need only be a small segment of wall if done right, it only takes an instant to kill or be killed
blane
Project Advisor

Summary

Post by blane »

Here is a current summary:

Imagine Tiger Network Classic settings with the following differences:

- Doubled speed
- Walls stay 4 seconds after death
- No win zone
- Scoring: 2 points a kill, 23 score limit, 7 rounds max
/* I have the heart of a small child. It sits on my desk in a jar. */
EvilPasta.com

Post by EvilPasta.com »

I think having some games with infinite walls and other games with limited walls provides for some interesting and compelling variety in the game.

Personally, I don't have a preference... they both inspire some unique strategies.
Angel
We love Angel!

District Servers

Post by Angel »

:) Hi, I just wanted to ask if it is ok to put the temporary stats address for the District servers on my website http://Angeltron.tk and could you please let me know when you have the permanent stats site is up and running so i can update my links, thankyou :)
And one more thing, where's the Angel smilie ???? lol Image
=*SpectruM*=
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by =*SpectruM*= »

Heh, try 100m walls.

Then you can dogfight for ages, the one with the fastest reflexes wins!!
You don't trap, just bash them into ur wall. :)
Its meeee!!!
Always remember, less is less, more is more and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right!
lock646

Storage

Post by lock646 »

i love non-eternal walls as it opens up for a lot of tactics and strategy
Where can i keep something like that? :X