FPS

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Draco II

FPS

Post by Draco II »

I have a Dell Pentium III Processor, and I have Windows 2000. I get 15 FPS. Someone told me I should get more for that. Does anyone know how I can clean up my computer, or does anyone know any tricks for how to maximize your FPS?
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

I have tried everything, if its really annoying you, turn off some of the effects in the display menu or play witha lower res
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

some various stuffs:

1) when running arma, disable all other apps (applications) that might take CPU cycles, like virus software and anything else that might broadcast to the net or receive info from the net. use the program's own shutdowns or just CTRL-ALT-DEL them out (sometimes messier).

in fact it's a good idea as standard policy to open the list of running apps by CTRL-ALT-DEL and find out exactly what every app does. if there is something getting past your spy-checking software this is a good place to discover it.

2) as rude said, start with a stripped-down version of arma. you can find one i made up in this thread below (altho it will behave very strangely locally). see what you FPS is with that and then try adding back in some features to see if they take away from your FPS.

http://guru3.sytes.net/viewtopic.php?t=138

3) look into your graphics cards settings (likely nvidia). it is quite possible you can tweak them down a bit for better performance. other people here probably are more familiar with specific things to try.

4) i assume arma uses open-GL and not direct-X to render. but if it is direct-X, there is an applet around that will allow you to disable some unnecessary testing modes. again, other people probably are more familiar than me. it's been awhile since i played with options 3 & 4.
che
Core Dumper

Post by che »

Hi, Draco, and wellcome. :D
I'm new here myself, and dont know much about tech, but I,m sure guys will join in and help, wont u guys? Altough you could post this under LAG or somthing, and reading older posts also helps.
Anyway I think that low frame rate has more to do with your connection than your comp, game is realy simple so it shouldnot be a problem. Also you can go for highest (or next to) resolutioin your machine suports, I think there other thing that slows it down more.
Play with things and see, every option in meny will display explanation when u hang above it.When I came in I had averaged 27-32 fps, now its healthy 44. Start with lowest settings, go up and see how much it can take.
I have lo-end comp and slow conn so here are the settings that works for me:
SCREEN
colour depth- 16 bit
Zbuffer - default
PREFERANCES
all exept hi grid rim - OFF
DETAIL SETINGS
object,wall,floor textures - mipmap bilinear
true colouor texture- off
perspective corection -default
smooth shading -on
line antialiasing-sys default
poligon -ll-
floor- dual texture plane
PERFORMANCE
set all on OFF
SOUND
buffer- medium
number - mine is ten, but try 6 for start
MISC STUFF
moviepack-off

Anyway, we all experience low frame rates and lag sometimes, it also depends on server - for some reasons my shit work best on tygers net servers and ring community, litlle worse on armagoshdarn and -ish, and it gets realy unplayable on spacezones, so try diff servers as well.

what kind of connection you have? where are you located?

And that is one mean avatar,is it your work?

EDIT :oh, while i was typin you get much better answer lol
Yes, turn off any unnesesary program workin in background, especialy u shouldnt have MSN or ICQ or Kazaa and such
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

Post by iceman »

15 fps ! wow you so lucky

i didnt have a pc so i decided to raid the trash cans at the back of my local computer store

my spec :cry:

AVG. 4 FPS (6 FPS max, 0.05 FPS min) :cry:

CPU: AMD K6-450mhz :cry:
GRAPHICS: Voodoo3 2000 PCI :cry:
CONNECTION: 44k dialup modem :cry:
POWER: AT psu (not even AT-X) :cry:
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

15 fps... ouch.

I get around 60-70 most of the time.

Low fps scares me.
llaffer2
Core Dumper

Re: FPS

Post by llaffer2 »

Draco II wrote:I have a Dell Pentium III Processor, and I have Windows 2000. I get 15 FPS. Someone told me I should get more for that. Does anyone know how I can clean up my computer, or does anyone know any tricks for how to maximize your FPS?
What video card do you have in that thing?

I have ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and can run 1280x1024 @ 85hz and I get 55-75 FPS

I also have ATI 3200+ , 1 GIG dual channel RAM, and XP Pro.
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

All of you lowly mortals! Stand in awe of my 9-14 FPS! For I am latency man! after a year of playing with fps that bad i have develloped what I like to call MIND FPS which adds a +6 modifier to my fps rolls, and i dont even have to do a saving throw!
che
Core Dumper

Post by che »

What video card do you have in that thing?
i dont think that has much influence, i have only an integrated one,
its settings, and con

rudeboy! :lol: thats the way ! feel da game! dont look at all! :lol: :wink:
para

Post by para »

I actually get too high an FPS, usually around 350-360. Is there a setting to limit how many frames I get? I'd rather limit it to 80-90 to reduce CPU usage.

Thanks.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Currently, you have to enable "Wait for VSYNC" or similar in your graphics driver. If you have an NVidia card and use Windows or Linux, I can help you. In the future, there may be an ingame setting for it, as I have finally found documentation on how to control it.
(/me rejoices to meet one person sensible about FPS.)
para

Post by para »

Excellent, thanks a lot z-man :)
I'm in Linux, and glxgears has been limited from ~8000fps to 85fps.