Cheating?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Android
On Lightcycle Grid

Cheating?

Post by Android »

Sometimes when I play, I encounter someone who consistently out-grinds everyone on the arena wall. Now, I can see this happening most of the time, but I start to get suspicious when it seems like no one, regardless of how drastic their attemps are, can out-grind him (or her.) While it is possible that this person is really just that good, I quietly call "foul" to myself as I really have no proof that the person is really cheating.

So, my question is, are there any known tricks or bugs that would allow for this? If so, is there any way to detect them?

As an asside, I'm interested in how others deal with potential cheaters and what you are looking for.
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

Hey man... As for me... I gained my knowledge of the game through constant playing, interrogating and spectating. Just keep your eyes peeled and ask the right people... The only reason I know how to do some of the 'cheats' so to speak, is because someone told me them. They aren't really cheats... more like strategies. Perhaps you should look into some of the topics here and see if any of them are mentioned. I garantee you will find something. :D
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

yep android, know what you mean... used to encounter that problem in my salad days: i would tear up my rubber doing a maxiumum grind, the other guy would just do them one after another as casual as you please, and when we met on the whole s/he would destroy me every time.

i remember loc talking about this in the past, i.e. real good machines and graphic cards and ping contributing to high FPS, allowing one to make 'perfect' grinds, theoretically.
Android
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Android »

Speedracer wrote:Hey man... As for me... I gained my knowledge of the game through constant playing, interrogating and spectating. Just keep your eyes peeled and ask the right people... The only reason I know how to do some of the 'cheats' so to speak, is because someone told me them. They aren't really cheats... more like strategies. Perhaps you should look into some of the topics here and see if any of them are mentioned. I garantee you will find something. :D
Could you share them here, or provide a link to one of the topics?

nicolas.b: So, it is mostly based on hardware and ping time? That's disappointing.
Prey4Me
Match Winner

Post by Prey4Me »

lol yeah i cried foul once when i couldn't outgrind CAO one day and i can usually outgrind even the best grinders at least once, but yeah its just usually a matter of skill, luck, and sometimes macros
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

i've never heard anything linking macros to grinding.

i frankly don't see the connection. :(
Prey4Me
Match Winner

Post by Prey4Me »

lol i could be thinking of something else and getting my terms messed up, it happens :D
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

Android wrote:Could you share them here, or provide a link to one of the topics?
Now that would :
1. Repeat several threads that should not be repeated.
2.Be too easy.
sorry man. :wink:
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

nicolas, is there anything that supports loc's theory?, i would love to have a good excuse why i can't grind :);)
nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

andy & lack: i believe the idea is that since those things (possibly in conjunction with a larger monitor) increase your FPS, you have greater control over your timing, i.e. it would be like slowing a film down until you could choose an individual frame to zero in on. if the film is running at a faster speed (ergo, lower FPS), then you might try to choose a specific frame and wind up with any of several dozen. obviously in arma that would mean a less-precise grind.

i doubt that people with high FPS's can actually choose an individual frame, but loc's theory* is that they can slice it much finer.

* if i understand correctly
Seleucus
Project Graphics Designer

Post by Seleucus »

There is more timing involved than high FPS, among other things, i think i posted this on the armagetron website i making but maybe not i will have to check.

-Seleucus
Majination
Hero Of 2004

Post by Majination »

It seems to me that, in a network game at least, there is no reason for the client computer to keep track of the amount of rubber it has. Since we know through both Tank and Subby's HUD experience that the client DOES keep track of the amount of rubber it makes me wonder if through recompiling you can make it so you never lose rubber at all.

I doubt it... but I still wonder.
http://bikecolors.shorturl.com -- ArmageTron Multi-Color Bike Picker
"Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me!" - Ren Hoek
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Majination wrote:It seems to me that, in a network game at least, there is no reason for the client computer to keep track of the amount of rubber it has. Since we know through both Tank and Subby's HUD experience that the client DOES keep track of the amount of rubber it makes me wonder if through recompiling you can make it so you never lose rubber at all.

I doubt it... but I still wonder.
1) the server kills you
2) the rubber value i present on the HUD is from the server (how else would i know the rubber (or for that matter speed or brakes) from every person on the grid ?)
3) I may be wrong
4) I know a way of adding to the source for a more consistant grind
5) i will never do this
6) High FPS and screen size and timming makes all the difference in grinding, anybody who has played on 5 fps will know.
Marrow
MVP - Project Contributor

Post by Marrow »

subby wrote: 4) I know a way of adding to the source for a more consistant grind
5) i will never do this
ha...nothing like teasing them, huh?
subby
Shutout Match Winner

Post by subby »

Marrow wrote:
subby wrote: 4) I know a way of adding to the source for a more consistant grind
5) i will never do this
ha...nothing like teasing them, huh?
hehe if they want to do it, let them learn spaggeti language lol, j/k z-man, if you're out there!