How to do the 180º turn?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Ganon_SS

How to do the 180º turn?

Post by Ganon_SS »

I have recently got the armagetron advanced, and playing on the internet i've seen people doing an instant turn, without space between walls.

I've read something about pressing two keys, but i've tried pressing two lefts or two rights and there is a space between my walls (althought i press both keys as fast as i can).

Examples:

Other people

||||| (|| are the walls)

Me

|_|¯|_|
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Either you press the second key too late, you're driving too fast, or you're comparing cases with different settings.

This (speed and double binding) reminds me of a screenshot (accompanying post).
gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

go to your keyboard setup screen, and add an extra key for each direction. then when you want to do a 180 turn, pressboth together
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Or learn to play without relying on cheap tricks. :P
gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

Sage advice indeed.

Also, try to post without cheap shots.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Like those about "intellectual willy-waving" or jokes about people with disabilites, or sarcastic remarks about "sage advice?" Give me a break.

(Nonetheless, my comment was clearly not a cheap shot, but rather a standard tease, hence the smiley with a tongue stuck out. There's a distinction. The first is malicious, the second is not.)
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Didn't really come across as a joke.
gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

Erm, I don't recall making a cheap shot about either the disabled or willy waving. Maybe you could point it out, without selectively quoting parts of a post to prove an ill-founded point?

It does seem, to me at least, that most of your posts contain either a not so well concealed swipe at another poster, or comments about how your style of play is the only acceptable style there is.

Everyone has their favoured style, and there are enough servers around that each player can pick one that suits them. There are settings in the server configs to prohibit the use of most of the contntious features, including double binds, so to me it seems that servers which allow a feature are expressly approving of it's use. To not take advantage of the feature if/when it is appropriate seems strange. To castigate others for doing so seems, to me at least, a little obsessive.

Maybe double binding is, in the long term, not the best way to build a rounded skillset. But maybe not all players are interested in the long term. They maybe want a quick blast on the grid, and will move on to other things long before serious strategy is an issue, in which case going through the tedious pwnage at the hands of players who double bind habitually is something of a waste.

You seem the type that takes the game seriously and if you did not feel your way was best you would change it. In fact, I recall a post from you stating that you double-bind yourself, obviously this has now changed. The fact that it has worked out the best for you over however long you have been playing does not mean it is best for all.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Good grief, you guys. First I make a post that I think was clearly not serious. Granted, in contains an element of truth with respect to my opinion on double-binding, but it was still off-the-cuff teasing. So then I have to tell you outright that I was teasing, since it wasn't obvious to you. And yet you're both still like, "whoa dude, you're too serious!" This is absurd. Same thing happens in-game. People seem to have no problem with all these snotty little teenagers (and adults) who run around cussing and shit-talking and being generally obscene, throwing around bigoted slang and whatnot. But I'm some kind of evil, mean, too-serious, rude guy. Quite strange. Only thing I can figure, as I stated in that other thread, is it must have something to do with the style of the medium. Maybe if I had typed it as follows, then no one would have had a problem:

LOL! OMFG! Or u can lern how 2 play w/o weak homo moves cuz i pwn u! Bwahaha! ROFL! :P :D :lol: j/k j/k j/k!!!

If that's still no good, then I'm simply at a loss.

Anyway, without picking apart and responding to all of gnorty's post, since I don't find it worth bothering, I will refer him to the following, recent post of his: http://forums.armagetronad.net/viewtopi ... 9911#49911
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

By the way, I just recalled something. Now, where was all the hand-slapping when a certain esteemed forum member somewhat recently posted the following comments about gameplay?

"I'll tell you why adjusting is weak. It's because you failed the first time. Adjusting is when you lay a grind intending to seal, and your target beats your grind. So, in a panic, you adjust and hope to get him. It's weak, you failed already, move to the back of the line. ... And adjusting is just damn unsporting."

Come on, people. Numerous other examples litter these forums, from all sorts of players, on all sides of any subject. At least be consistent. Either jump on everyone's butt who criticises something game-related, or jump on no one's. (Same goes for the "personal attacks.")
hang3r
Core Dumper

Post by hang3r »

LOL! OMFG! Or u can lern how 2 play w/o weak homo moves cuz i pwn u! Bwahaha! ROFL! :P :D :lol: j/k j/k j/k!!!
I found a new instant chat. :D
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Hehe. Hey, where have you been lately, kanga?
themidastouch

double-binding

Post by themidastouch »

i tried putting two as the the same control, but i still make wide turns instead of sharp ones.
_
(ex. other: |||||, me: |_| |_|
schwuli
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by schwuli »

then, its a setting prob...
you have to type in cycle_delay... i think...
spirit
Round Winner

Post by spirit »

As themidastouch said "others" I don´t think he´s a server owner or admin so typing cycle_delay would not gain anything.
It can´t be that on a server with a cycle_delay e.g. 0.01 you get 180° turns like |_|. It must be || as you´ve described it.
BUT on a server like sylv´s tavern where cycle_delay is bigger you can´t get || even if you double bind. It must be |_|.

/me thinks you´ve got a problem double binding your keys.