Armagetron Terminology

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Armagetron Terminology

Post by Tank Program »

I'd just like to let everyone know some of the words and terms they should be using here. One word would be "boxing in" which is where you completly seal someone in a box. They do this by "riding their wall" which is when sparks fly out, and you speed up. If anyone has any other terms to add, just post in this thread. That way, we know what everyone is talking about.
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

amagetron Terminology

Post by RUDEBOY! »

Well as of recently many people have been using the super tight against the outer wall U turns that have been refered to as "Amishvag" or "algerion" or any condensations of the 2. because thy are beleived to have started tehm which they didnt but whatever. These U's are becoming more and more frequent so i think that term will die out fairly fast.

And then we get to the lag terms,

Warped or jumped:Meaning your bike is physically turned by teh game without your command usually your game gets all choppy and then BOOM.

Bombed: Certain players have learned to exploit the game by overloading the instant chat keys and teh game in turn lags and players begin to warp and walls dissapear.

Invisowall: often blamed on lag not really caused by it. when a trail is dissapearing teh end of teh visible wall is not always teh actual wall so if you turn into a wall that has just passed you and you think you are in teh clear sometimes you arent. also in holes in the wall sometimes the hole is larger tahn it appears usually the game sorts this out and youll see holes shrink once and a while better to be safe and go for the center of the holes not the edges.

Now we get into the common Internet speak:

most peole know this stuff but some dont so here.

GG: Good Game

GM: Good Match

LOL: Laugh Out Loud

STFU: Shut The F**k Up

GTFO: Get The F**k Out

GJ: Good Job

TY: Thank you

well tahts all i can think of hope this is useful
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Thanks for that, didn't think of those. Also the U turns can be called reverses, since they take place in such a small place. And then with the Warping or Jumping, sometimes it happens in the form of you send the command to turn, and you locally turn imediately, but the server sends back a response that your out of position xx miliseconds later as has you "slide" back into position. It's when your going straight ahead after a turn and you start to move left or right while going straight ahead.[/b]
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

Thanks for sharing that i would have phrased it like that but i know nothing about how servers work
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

ok since i'm an armagoshdarnian this prob isnt very universal but here goes...

was thinking about posting this with graphics at my site but why not post it here:

armagetron moves and lingo

tripleturn/doubletap = you press the key one time too many in the same direction guess some would say sticky keyboard

slingshot = tight fit between two walls/trails, nice speed bonus :D

slingshot kill = even better: you've lured some poor sap into a slingshot (maybe they think they'll escape) but oh no you're ready and close the gap :twisted:

everclosing box / spiraling box = continued incremental boxing (dont forget to close it before its too late), my favourite move :D

reversed box = when it goes wrong and the situation gets reversed (happens if you dont close it at the right time)

wallcreeper = complimentary term for grinders

pixelrider = when i was at nixda (a long time ago), the speed was fairly slow and we had a lot of brakes, there always seemed to be one pixel more between the tightest grinds so... but is pixelriding a myth? what do *you* think? :roll:

lag bomber = self explanatory

kamikaze = some kills come at a price, must be premeditated :)

rip kill = when you kill from beyond the grave

rip victory = ... and win the game/match :D

speedkill = classic kill with speed supremacy

sandwich / sandwiched = like slingshot/slingshotkill depending

lagslide = when lag makes you slide

lagjump = when lag makes you jump ahead

chatbot = those who don't drive but didn't disconnect (telephone call, p-break whatever)

point fodder = a.k.a noobs :D (don't scare them away we all like more points)

kazaalitis = players with 1000+ ping often suffer this dreaded illness

death spiral = a.k.a everclosing box

box camping = another nixda term, selfboxing on purpose (rare at armagoshdarn) selfspiralling doesn't really count as this (at least not on armagoshdarn)

chinese box = a box in a box in a box :twisted:

umm there must be heaps more i don't remember...

Reverend called the winzone the zone of shame, good name, credit to him, hope somebody cooks together deathzones soon :)
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

forgot grind greed & speed greed, they're both fairly self explanatory :P
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Well, that's a lot more terms then I could remember/think up :). But my favorite = slingshot I think. Ppl may do that for greed :), I do it for FUN :D.
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

fun is always the best strategy :D
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Excellent Point.
Tank Program

Topic Split.

Post by Tank Program »

Majination had some excellent comments on Rudeboy's "Invisowall" which pertain more to lag. They have been moved to this location: http://guru3.sytes.net/viewtopic.php?t=33
locutus
Match Winner
Location: MST [Quotation: "No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished.."]

forgot one

Post by locutus »

afk - away from keyboard

Z taught me that one

I love the fact that you can press C (in my case) for chat and have the bot take over and go do other thigns without having to go offline

how about some new ones?

KNF - kill newbies first
LOBU - look out behind you
GT - grid toast
SWG - sweet grind

hehe
iceman
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Yorkshire, England. Quote: Its the fumes, they make one want to play

terms.....

Post by iceman »

3 more for ya

ltns : long time no see

tss : this server sucks

tssd : this server sucks donkeys
Image He who laughs last, probably has a back-up
sorry about the large animated gif
Communist
Average Program

Post by Communist »

Z says NOMS!

NOMS = Not On My Screen

Generally used when you turn and kill someone on your screen, but then the server updates and you find you just died :(
I like rice. And all other kinds of Chinese food.

http://commutron.iwarp.com <-- very infrequently updated
RUDEBOY!
Match Winner

Post by RUDEBOY! »

if you really hate that turn on prediction. then youll never say noms again, ok almost never
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

imho prediction creates more lag than anything else in the program, i never ever ever use it :!:

imho = in my honest opinion