noob score q's & notes on being mean to noobs

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

'tard, the map rotator will stay, sorta. It would be awfully nice if someone (nemo....) could build armagetron for Mac OS 10.2.8. I don't have the stuff to do it, otherwise I'd do it in a heartbeat, and nemo did promise the final 0.2.8 would run on that particular version of OS X. I'm hoping he meant to release at least one beta of it, and that it will happen soon. (note to self: next time you see nemo on the grid, bug him about it)

Anyway, I'm now in a quandary. I had intended to pull it when silly got back, because I was just experimenting with it. I didn't expect it to be so universally loved. So now if I leave it, silly can't play there. If I pull it, everybody else will be mad. But silly's like the biggest fan, or at least the most outspoken fan anyway.

So I'm probably going to just convert the Roulette Wheel, which is still in progress, to be a 0.2.8 version of exactly Breakfast in Hell and silly can play there with whoever else goes there to play. By now I think most of the BiH crowd has upgraded to betas and moved on with the Crack Pipe, and it appears we've picked up some more players besides them. But that'll have to wait until later in the week, I've got a lot of studying going on this week.

Let's see, two weeks ago it was my Trig test. Last week was History. This week is Chemistry. Next week is another Trig test. Then I should see clear skies for a few weeks before testing starts up again.

Edit: Oh yeah, on a side note, about the map rotator. It's just a script I hacked together to change settings in everytime.cfg. It's fairly straightforward as-is and anybody could duplicate it pretty quickly with a minimal amount of programming. I intend to add more features to it, and I will release it eventually (probably in the next couple of weeks). The catch is, map rotation (and config rotation) is planned for after 0.2.8 and there's already a basic implementation in cvs head. It would be better, imo, for me to flesh out what's in cvs head instead of working more on my map rotator and backport it to 0.2.8 for my server, and release a patch so other people can build it if they'd like. Now, what my map rotator does is still something I want from it anyway, I'd like to use everytime.cfg to provide dynamic content to the game anyway, so the script will probably be useful for some time to come, even after the map rotation part of it is rendered obsolete by a better and fuller implementation in the game.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

AHH! silly scope never played in it tho, he needs to play in the map rotator a bit..

please save its settings for posterity & or release the rotator script for other admins to use

u sure had the game settings set up nice for 2.8 there

it felt so oldschool (the driving part, not the insane maps)
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

The old school feeling is here to stay, ok? :) If silly for some reason can't play in a 0.2.8 server with these settings but otherwise compatible, then I'm sorry. I think these settings are so far the best incarnation of my server ever, and I'm happy to see people agreeing with me this time. (I thought my 0.2.7.1 server was better than the earlier one, but there's room to argue there) And the whole reason I upgraded was to get to this point. If I were just going to run the same 0.2.7.1 settings, why bother upgrading? Besides maps, but silly can't play those either.

I've already passed these settings to Swampy, and if he wants the map rotator I'll be glad to help him get it running. I suspect he's waiting for the final release before upgrading, though, to let the bugs work themselves out (he did that with 0.2.7.1 too). After he's done that, he'll likely tweak these settings a bit until he's happy with them on his server and learn a bit more about them, and then we'll see.

But we're not going back now, it's too late for that. :) I can't very well bring up a newer version server that gives everyone what they've been screaming about for the last 3 months and then pull it, can I? All that's really happened is that I apparently completely underestimated how all you players were going to respond to the new stuff, and I consider that a good thing. ;)

(and yeah, sometime around the final release I"ll probably post my settings if I haven't done so by that time, I imagine tank is going to want to see them, at least, and if ish shows up again they'll be a perfect place to start building his server, since it's only speed and cycle_rubber different from his server. I'm not shy with my settings, please don't interpret the fact that they haven't been posted as "I want to keep them to myself". I'm a little slut with this sort of thing, if you want them, ask, and whenever I get the time to do it, I'll send them your way)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
SuPeRTaRD
Round Winner

Post by SuPeRTaRD »

i was just saying dont lose them.. mebbe make backups or sth

:P
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Aw. All I want to say is that there's no need to do or not do anything just on my account. The sentiments are certainly appreciated, but I'm just one fellow, eh.

(That is, except for building a 2.8.0 that'll work on OS 10.2.8, but even that's not just about me; a lot of people are stuck with this version, not financially inclined—or hardware-equipped—to make the upgrade.)