Camera problem

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
hypnotoad

Camera problem

Post by hypnotoad »

i use the smart cam, and a lot of the time it feels like it doesnt keep up with my movements and there is a delay. is there any way to make the cam move a bit faster?
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: Camera problem

Post by dlh »

Read the documentation for the camera settings. You probably want to alter the focal point settings.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Ok, so I understand by reading the "Expert Section" comment that these settings may change from release to release and that these settings are unsupported and undocumented in the console. Why are they not documented in the console? Wouldn't it make sense to do that, maybe with a warning that the results may be obscure and differ between releases or whatever? Forgive me if I'm seeming a bit noob about this but I can't see any good reason not to do so.
Playing since December 2006
hypnotoad

Post by hypnotoad »

Thanks dlh! changing CAMERA_SMART_CENTER_POS_SMOOTH from 6 to 7 and CAMERA_SMART_CENTER_DIR_SMOOTH from 3 to 4 seems to have sped the camera up a bit.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Monkey wrote:Why are they not documented in the console?
Because they're so obscure that even I don't know how to describe them. Most are just nondescript tweak factors that appear somewhere in the code.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

This doesn't fill me with much confidence :/
It is a real shame because the smart camera has such potential. I guess I'll stick with custom cam for now.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Potential? I've used Smart Cam exclusively since 2005 (maybe earlier; point is, whenever I started). Couple it with custom glances and you can really control it. Use the glances to reset the camera behind you after turning, or to anticipate and look ahead beforehand. It takes a little practice and getting used to, but once it's second-nature it's great.

Of course, I'm saying this as someone who doesn't multibind my turns, so using one hand to constantly glance doesn't inhibit some other button mashing. Turning is all on the right hand (arrows), glances on the left (asd).

As for glance settings, I recommend zeroing out the _FROMSPEED commands and putting _RISE and _BACK around 11 or so, depending on what sorts of servers you usually play, speed-wise. The smart cam will pull out more if there's a higher average speed, so you'll want your glances to be higher and further back to match. I can't remember what I used for a _PITCH setting, though that probably depends on the servers you play as well; you want something sort of in the middle of the extremes the smart cam most often pitches.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Another huge problem we noticed the hard way: even tiny changes to the smart camera code will cause nausea in those used to the way it worked previously. I'm even afraid of refactoring the camera code because of that.
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

@Phytotron
Thanks for the suggestions; I have tried smart cam now with both smartcam glances and custom glances. I still think I will be sticking with custom cam for now.
By the way, I am also a single binder. Unlike you though, I play mostly fort and sumo with just a tiny bit of LMS (or whatever it's called) but only in servers with sensible settings like shrunkland/mud puddle/armagoshdarn/etc.

@Z-Man
Just out of interest, who wrote the smart camera code?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That was a previous version of me from oh so many years back. He was an idiot, so he got replaced. That process repeats itself constantly.
(Yeah, when programming, I now do tend to view past and future me as different persons. Future me is an idiot who needs everything explained, past me is an idiot who did everything wrong and needs constant supervision. Helps!)
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Z-Man wrote:That was a previous version of me from oh so many years back. He was an idiot, so he got replaced. That process repeats itself constantly.
(Yeah, when programming, I now do tend to view past and future me as different persons. Future me is an idiot who needs everything explained, past me is an idiot who did everything wrong and needs constant supervision. Helps!)
That's brilliant.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Monkey wrote:@Phytotron...By the way, I am also a single binder. Unlike you though, I play mostly fort and sumo with just a tiny bit of LMS (or whatever it's called) but only in servers with sensible settings like shrunkland/mud puddle/armagoshdarn/etc.
Wait, what sorts of servers do you think I play?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:Wait, what sorts of servers do you think I play?
Ha! This is hilarious...
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

phytotron wrote:Wait, what sorts of servers do you think I play?
As far as I am aware, you hate fortress and sumo because of the zones; you only like last man standing (or whatever it's called). Is this not correct?
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

More or less. It just seemed you might have been implying I play high rubber servers or something. When I saw "Unlike you though, I play...servers with sensible settings...." I mean, I'm all about Shrunkland. And I think Mud Puddle actually has too much rubber and other non-sensible settings. Anyway....

I will say that on the rare occasion that I've played Sumo, I liked using an overhead camera, like the server custom cam in Shrunkland, as opposed to the Smartcam. Fortress I still prefer Smartcam.

Also, "free for all." "Last man standing" only applies if the sole or primary method of scoring is from round survival.