Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
szopin
Average Program
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by szopin »

Guys seem to love win att, no matter if it ends up 3 deffers vs 1 attacker for 10 minutes, this is it, forget fort, forget classic, forget reg, 4v3 means win att, why the f is there no server that enforces it and removes the zone from the supposed attackers (winning team has no zone, solved, so simple to implement, just don't call it fort, fort is about deffing your zone, you know the name fortress indicates that)? I would avoid such servers, guys there would have heaven on earth (don't ask them for a reason why 7 players have different rules than 8, because tradition, f me, 5 years ago there was no such tradition, yet newfags push for it. So easy to have a 'fort' server with such rules, create one and leave people who wanna play fort even on 1v1, 1v2, 2v2... alone. Let them play win att even on 9v9, this is not fort, they steal classic/reg fort servers to play their own bullshit. Anyone? Back to ctwf, try to implement your win att here, good luck, ctwf is now classic fort no matter how absurdly it sounds

User avatar
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by ConVicT »

szopin wrote: so simple to implement
Well you seem to know what to do, why don't you make this server?
If someone made it and gave me the files, I'll run it for a few months. It'd be a U.K server, and lagless.
I won't make it though (I'm lazy) 8) , you can have that job, also, if it doesn't get played a lot in the first month, then I will take it down (because that's just a waste of money) :done:

User avatar
ppotter
Match Winner
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 am

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by ppotter »

Just play Fortress Onslaught.

szopin
Average Program
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by szopin »

ConVicT wrote:
szopin wrote: so simple to implement
Well you seem to know what to do, why don't you make this server?
If someone made it and gave me the files, I'll run it for a few months. It'd be a U.K server, and lagless.
I won't make it though (I'm lazy) 8) , you can have that job, also, if it doesn't get played a lot in the first month, then I will take it down (because that's just a waste of money) :done:

So how much money would sink into serving such server for a month? If this gets rid of all the kids who just wanna attack and forget what fortress entails I'll be happy to cover it. Do you know by any chance what ISP/hosting Fortress Cafe used? I would love to bring that back. Bring back points for holing, make recreational fort back to what it used to be, not what it degraded to


EDIT: are you really suggesting there is a problem with enforcing simple rule: winner of last round has no zone? That would satisfy them and would leave classic/reg fort servers for people who don't want to bother counting how many players are on/who won last round etc, computers do it by magic, never ran arma server, but seeing that pickup dynamically picks up people from irc I doubt this is crazy idea that cannot be implemented
Last edited by szopin on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

szopin
Average Program
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by szopin »

ppotter wrote:Just play Fortress Onslaught.
I might be missing something or the thing you mentioned is only played in US evenings, I join every server that has 'fort' in it during Europe hours and either get kicked for mentioning the absurdity of changing rules based on 7 <-> 8 players on (tradition ffs is the only argument for, mention i am 5 year old player and this is bullshit 'tradition' get kicked even quicker) or leave because guys are random and have no idea what fort is about, zones are just christmas decorations. Please elaborate
Last edited by szopin on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by ConVicT »

Well, I'd suggest this host, it's reasonably priced, and top quality, you also get to choose where it's being hosted from.
szopin wrote: Do you know by any chance what ISP/hosting Fortress Cafe used?
I have no idea, (someone will) but you wouldn't get much better than Rx, not to mention the awesome CP you get.

szopin
Average Program
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by szopin »

ConVicT wrote:Well, I'd suggest this host, it's reasonably priced, and top quality, you also get to choose where it's being hosted from.
szopin wrote: Do you know by any chance what ISP/hosting Fortress Cafe used?
I have no idea, (someone will) but you wouldn't get much better than Rx, not to mention the awesome CP you get.
If this is behind the 'lagless' then I definitely need to dig further and ask around, still simple rule 'last winner has no zone' is all it needs to get the pseudo-forters out of fort servers, if anyone here prefers it that way even better, they will have a chance to def 7/8/9 deffers vs 1 attacker, because that is what win-att entails. I am not having fun in such situations

szopin
Average Program
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:12 pm

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by szopin »

sorry, added edit to my previous reply:


EDIT: are you really suggesting there is a problem with enforcing simple rule: winner of last round has no zone? That would satisfy them and would leave classic/reg fort servers for people who don't want to bother counting how many players are on/who won last round etc, computers do it by magic, never ran arma server, but seeing that pickup dynamically picks up people from irc I doubt this is crazy idea that cannot be implemented

Btw, what do you mean by CP? Armagetron is not involved in cheese pizza/child pornography i hope

User avatar
takburger
Match Winner
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by takburger »

So you're telling me you want to be on a fort server and do a 2v1, grind and get in the zone before the other guy set up?

I think it will be very funny indeed.
Image

User avatar
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by ConVicT »

tak, he just means winner attacks, but they have no choice in the matter. Say everyone says "ok lets play winner attacks cuz there's not a lot of players" , then you get some noob that just ignores it and attacks the undefended zone, if only the losers have a zone, then that would be impossible.
szopin wrote:Btw, what do you mean by CP? Armagetron is not involved in cheese pizza/child pornography i hope
Control Panel.

User avatar
takburger
Match Winner
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by takburger »

I think he meant the opposite. I think he meant that this winner attack custom was bad and he prefer people who want it to go to special winatk servers.

To my opinion winner attack is a form of politeness while waiting server to get crowded. Like letting someone set.
Image

Tadd
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:13 pm

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by Tadd »

Yeah I think tak got it right.
And having another server for "those kids who want to play win att" wouldn't help anything.
Win att is just a method to have a competitive game-style until enough players joined to have a competitive regular fortress match. Otherwise you would need more time to go from one zone to another than spending it on the attack.
Your argument is that win att is not really a fort mode, but what happens if you center at a 2vs2? Going your path you should just go to a sumo server.
In my opinion, playing a regular 2vs2/3vs3 match has nothing to do with the original fort as you say. A 3vs3 win att simulates a 6vs6 game way better.

I also have to say, that kicking you wasn't the right choice of the people playing in the server.

User avatar
takburger
Match Winner
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:34 pm

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by takburger »

Tadd wrote: I also have to say, that kicking you wasn't the right choice of the people playing in the server.
agreed
Image

User avatar
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1004
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 am

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by ConVicT »

takburger wrote:I think he meant the opposite. I think he meant that this winner attack custom was bad and he prefer people who want it to go to special winatk servers.
This is why, initially, I would only host it for a month to see how it goes, because everyone would still play their regular servers and I have a feeling it would't get played in.
As you said, we only play winner attacks until the server fills up a bit, nobody really "likes" it, it's just like turning up for a game of 5 a side, and only 4 players have turned up so far, so you would play warm up games until everyone shows .

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6348
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Win attacks - 'fort' type server

Post by sinewav »

*sigh*

Ok, here is why having a "simple" server for winner attacks isn't simple: it need's scripting. Scripts make the game generally unstable and often break. But it is not like this idea is new.

Fortress Onslaught has one zone and teams trade between attacking and defending. Teams are 5v5 with re-spawning (which is really crazy considering there in only one zone) and matches are 6 rounds long. It is a great server, but the script to make it work breaks a lot.

Half-Court Fort is a 3v3 Fortress game I made with one zone. That zone goes to the team with either the highest or lowest score, depending on how you set up the points and if you want defending or attacking to be harder. It works great because you don't need a script for it. However, it's not quite "winner attacks" since zone possession is based on score. This server inspired...

King of the Sand Fortress is another 3v3 Fortress game where one zone is controlled by the team with the highest score. Taking the zone gives a team many more points than holding the base. KOTF was very popular in pickup for several months after it was first introduced.

So we don't have a winner attacks Fortress game yet. The main reason is it requires scripting and no one has decided to make it yet. I actually don't have a problem with people playing winner attacks when it is 3v3 or less. The problem I do have is when people don't take it seriously and toss-off while playing. 3v3 Fort "winner attacks style" can be super fun when people actually play to win.

:) Long live Cafe!

Post Reply