Wall wraps

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
candy

Wall wraps

Post by candy »

I was wondering how exactly do you time a wall wrap? Like do you do it when they come up behind you? If so, how do you tell that they are behind you? Also does anyone advise swictching keys from Z,A,Q,1 for left and X,D,R,5 for right. Find me on Tilt servers and HR!
:pacman: :bdot: :!: :mrgreen:
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Wall wraps

Post by sinewav »

candy wrote:I was wondering how exactly do you time a wall wrap?
You time it just like you time every other action you do. Imagine how long it takes you to turn in whatever direction 2, 3, or more times, then visualize your opponent driving into that area. Remember, you don't have a lag meter on your cycle, but you should be able to imagine yours compared to your opponent. If you really need a visual guide, you can set AXES_INDICATOR 1 in your console and that might help you determine the distance needed. Read the wiki for instructions on how to enter console commands.
candy wrote:If so, how do you tell that they are behind you?
Two ways: You can change your camera or use the glance keys. I suggest doing both until you find a system that works best for you. Don't know how to change camera? Don't know where your glance keys are? I won't tell you. This is a great time for you to learn more about the game, so look around the game menu and the wiki to find out. :)
candy wrote:Also does anyone advise swictching keys from Z,A,Q,1 for left and X,D,R,5 for right.
That's a terrible setup for key binding. Terrrrrrible. Play the game long enough and you'll develop problems with your finger, wrists, and elbows. If you want to triple/quad bind, I suggest using "ASDF" and "JLK:". Why? This is the traditional position for your hands when typing. You can used the relief on the home keys (the dots on F and J) to find your place on the keyboard without looking. Very handy.

Good luck. And remember, to get REALLY good at the game you need to play on low rubber servers, not high rubber. High is anything over 5.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

What the hell is a "wall wrap?"
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Sounds like a counter to the stereotypical speed kill. Use a wrapping paper texture on your wall for maximum effect.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

My first thought was outside corner grind?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Well, there was something about them coming up behind you. Whatever that meant exactly, I think candy wants to trap — or wrap — the opponent.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Yeah, what he means is -- I think -- to wrap the enemy into a tiny box so quickly that he has no time or room to escape.
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

If you're referring to a wrap in a df or ctf server, it means to basically hug around the opponent quickly before they have time to react. To do this you really just have to practice and figure it out yourself. Timing is key. Try to make the person turn towards you and wrap around them at the opportune moment.

You can do this in any game mode really; it is just commonly used in df and ctf.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

And what the hell is a "hug?"

I thought you all used "hug" to describe when two players got wrapped up* around each other and both get dumped. Then you make your little emoticon thingy.

* normal usage, as in tangled and caught; not above Arma usage
Soul
Match Winner

Post by Soul »

Yeah I was just using "hug" as a word to better describe a wrap. A hug in fort is like a wrap in df only in df you mean to do it and you get out. (you being the person applying the wrap)
NiPz
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by NiPz »

Wall wraps meaning a tri?
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

It means they are flying up on your ass, and you use ping to wrap them up before they know whats happening. We have all done it and it had it happen to us.

As for the timing, its something you gotta learn to feel out, as it depends heavily on your ping, the servers ping, and various server settings.

Keys vary greatly among players, I recommend you find something that fits you and ignore everyone else. For instance I use a,x for left, and d,c for right; reserving the arrow keys for looking around.
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

QAZ and XDF is pretty easy, not terrible
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

I don't know how you would go about wrapping someone in HR, since they would just get out of it pretty easily I would think

Wraps are super-effective in sumo, just gotta use dem prediction skills
Boxed
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

I feel ashamed if i hug someone and die, unless i had no rubber.