Microbus City Points Tactics

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

TiTnAsS: Edited my reply to make clear I was replying to the last sentence.

Lucifer: I never followed someone for that reason. Of course I have observed others but never copied them.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I think much of what Lucifer said about "camping" has merit. "Running down the clock," as they say.

Another case in the servers with receding tails is sometimes someone puts you in a big box and runs, in which case you fool around in there waiting for it to open up again so's you can get back to playing. I think pretty much everyone does this. But that's what's good about receding tails -- making a big damn box and running away isn't a very successful strategy. You're forced to go more one-on-one.

I think the key thing in regards to camping is in the respective scoring systems. In servers like the Breakfast servers, "camping" (or any other thing one does other than battling) isn't likely to result in many points, if any, since you only get a point for dumping someone.

On the other hand, servers like mbc have that wacked out scoring system where a player is awarded extra bonus points just for surviving (last active team) and/or hitting the winzone -- and those points are always greater than what one gets for a core dump. I think in mbc it's 12 for surviving and 4 for a dump? Plus, someone who is actually battling will get dumped now and then, in which case they lose a couple points, while someone who isn't won't. So, theoretically, and not infrequently in practice, a person with very few player points on the bottom scoreboard will actually win the match just because they continually survived and/or hit the zone of shame. That's when I think camping is a bad thing.
Crazyass

Post by Crazyass »

As for me, I think that camping is just a cheap way of winning, is no fun, and requires no skill whatsoever.
Metal up your ass!
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Every one so far has mentioned camping without defining what it is exactly. If you ask me, camping is when a player sections off a large piece of grid for the specific purpose of crusing around inside it for the duration of the round. It is much different when you ar boxed in and instead of giving up and hitting the wall you cruise around until the person who had boxed you is dead. It pisses me off so much when I'm playing and someone yells camper while I am merely waiting or investigating a possible way out...
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I think Lucifer and I fairly well parsed the meaning(s) of camping, actually. I even described exactly what you (Tank) did in the latter part of your post.

Notice I indicated that there could be multiple meanings for the word "camping." (Heh, should a thread just about camping be started? :| ) This is just my take on it; I'm sure others might take the position that there's only one meaning. But, as I see it, it can be used in various ways.

First, there's the kind of permanent camping that lasts an entire round, most likely to occur in a server with infinite tails, and where a person gets bonus points just for surviving (it's kind of pointless otherwise, literally and figuratively). That might be called the standard camp. Tank defined it.

But then there are more short-term, temporary forms of what could be called camping, whether "technically" or colloquially defined as such. Here I suppose I draw analogies to other games, like first-person shooters. So, for instance, a guy parks his player in a bunker with a rocket launcher, and blows away anyone who comes near. He's there for the time being, but eventually needs to go get more ammo. An analog in Arma could be the guy who goes off to one side of the arena, makes a long tail, then 180s/tunnels it a whole bunch of times waiting for someone to come near, then shoots out from it and overtakes them with overwhelming speed. Then he moves to another section and does it again. Personally, I hate this.

Another short-term type is what I've already described, where someone is just trying to outlast a box with the intention of getting out and fighting again. Tank seems averse to calling that camping, but it could be described as a sort of mini-camp. You are camping for that short period, but then, hopefully, you'll leave before long. I see nothing wrong with this.

So, possibly different meanings and usages; some bad types, some acceptable types. I dunno—just my longwinded thoughts. It's all just video game jargon, anyway.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Oscilloscope wrote:I think Lucifer and I fairly well parsed the meaning(s) of camping, actually. I even described exactly what you (Tank) did in the latter part of your post.
A bit of speed reading...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Tank Program wrote:
Oscilloscope wrote:I think Lucifer and I fairly well parsed the meaning(s) of camping, actually. I even described exactly what you (Tank) did in the latter part of your post.
A bit of speed reading...
Yeah, when I saw 100 emails or so that was all tank getting caught up with everything that's gone on while he was gone....

Anyway, I don't think "camping" can be defined exlicitly. Your_mom camps a lot, and he calls it mazing, and it's cool. I think it's all really about being considerate. If there's two people left and you just run and run and run, whether that's called camping or not it is at least inconsiderate. There are people waiting for you to finish being a coward and die or something. People generally don't mind if there's only two people left and they're both trying to break speed records or what have you--as long as it doesn't take too long.

Anyway, maybe one of the reasons people get all worked up over camping is because there's no hard and fast definition that really matters. :) Just be considerate, and don't make people sit on the sidelines any longer than you have to.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Once again I agree with Lucifer. :)