Rules for CTF, Sumo and Ladle

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Rules for CTF, Sumo and Ladle

Post by Mkay1 »

None of the images or youtube videos work. Without them, its really raw.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

well, if someone can contact the authors (luffy, connor), perhaps we can restore it. unk's/pru's links should be fine though
premaDpG
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by premaDpG »

omg! wow that was a lot of info! thanks so much word!

although it would've been cooler with the pics, but alls wells.. ill just try to learn based on what is said :P
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Jesus H. Christ, Word. Overkill, much? :P
the honorable ~`U Tru
Wait, there's royalty now? :?
INW
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by INW »

A lot of valuable information word. Good job.

However, there was one thing I disliked right off about the information, or math rather (not from you Word).

Levi's equations for ctf (1v1'ing) were just odd and not mathematical. No matter if the point of 1v1'ing will lose your team points or not, the equations weren't put together correctly.

Mathematical equations are made from data (usually statistical) or functions. These were put together circumstancially (if that's spelt correctly). What if I said a good ctf team scores a flag capture every 60 seconds or this tronner says every 10 seconds instead of 30. (That's the problem - "good". There shall not be opinionated mathematics! But everything can't be statistical can it?)
I think that ruins the equations.
What I am saying is the equations don't support the opinion that 1v1'ing in the middle of the grid saves your team any points.

Besides me slaughtering some math, I actually learned some things about ctf (which I don't play much at all) I never would have thought of.

Well done.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Epic long posts. Moved to strategy section.
premaDpG
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by premaDpG »

ok i have tried to figure out the defs that word gave us, but im rather confused on one thing, how to read luffy's instructions :P
[quote = Luffy] How do it: (note: left/right abcdef: defaults keys) – AB/CD , AB/CD, AB/CD... (faster or slowly) [/quote]
^ this is for the first def, luff's own def...

now what i dont get is what key is does what.
A: Left
B: Left
C: Right
D: Right
E: Left?
F: Right?

if someone can help me out, i'd greatly appreciate it :)

**and if any of you skilled tronners have some free time, maybe you can post pics of doing the def??
just a thought :)

thanks
Prema
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

premaDpG wrote:ok i have tried to figure out the defs that word gave us, but im rather confused on one thing, how to read luffy's instructions :P
Those instructions really don't mean anything even with the pictures, which is the most important part. Forget about it. All those "defenses" were just gimmicks anyway.

The most popular one at the time was Luffy's interlocking-step-defense (attached below). You sit miles inside your trail and the interlocking double binds prevent anyone from squeezing though. Of course, with the insanely high rubber in CTF a defender can keep this "impenetrable" defense up for an entire round. But it is really a waste since CTF games are won my teams who are best at coordinate holing and base-camping. That's all.

So my advice to you is not to worry about a special kind of defense because they are all equally useless.* You just need a defender who has good observational skills and can cover holes quickly, and who can regain control of the flag-space when it's not at home. (Use the CTF moviepacks to see where the flag should be when missing.)

*The only defense that really makes any impact in the game is the very straight, fast ones. This is because the speed will help deter holes by inexperienced teams. However, good teams know that "speed-def" is unsustainable and will just wait it out until the defender breaks, then hole for a flag cap.
Attachments
interlocking-step-def.png
interlocking-step-def.png (402 Bytes) Viewed 6079 times
premaDpG
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by premaDpG »

hmm okay ty sinewav.. ill just focus on strengthening my own def then :)
ItzAcid
Match Winner

Post by ItzAcid »

Interlocking step def is one of the most simple and efficient ctf defenses, in my opinion. Tons of good info here too :)
Won Tourneys/Competitions: WWG4 (Hmm, need more braggage like Durka)

Oo oO
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

DDMJ wrote:Perhaps someone can sift through all of Word's posts and make it into a new Wiki page(s).
Rather than using old, weak, completely out-dated material I decided to start fresh with the very first wiki entry for CTF strategy. After 6 years, people can now learn about Capture the Flag rather than just being redirected to the "Sty" page. :roll: That's a bit embarrassing considering the thousands and thousands of words dedicated to Fortress, haha.
Concord

Post by Concord »

wow
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

That's what I would have needed 3 years ago! :P

on a side note, I recently stumbled upon this link:

http://www.fortvault.wordpress.com

I can proudly say that we collected much more theory on our forums but there are some texts I haven't read anywhere else. It looks like this is an UNK/TX thing mostly (the videos were uploaded by Concord though, but I can't remember him being in one of those clans). Is anyone willing to reveal who is behind it?

(And you don't need to delete it now, I've already backed everything up just in case it could help us some day ;) )
Last edited by Word on Sun May 13, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

Word wrote:(And you don't need to delete it now, I've already backed everything up just in case it could help us some day ;) )
That site has been up for quite some time. I doubt they are going to delete it, as most of us already read it.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Titanoboa

Post by Titanoboa »

Word wrote:It looks like this is an UNK/TX thing mostly. Is anyone willing to reveal who is behind it?
Seems pretty obvious who's behind it, but I might be wrong. Is it even supposed to be a secret though?