I am new

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Realplayer1
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:13 pm

I am new

Post by Realplayer1 »

I dont know any core dump techniques. teach me?

User avatar
galaxy invader
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:31 pm

Re: I am new

Post by galaxy invader »

check out the wiki game playing guide it should help you a lot

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... g_the_Game
Image

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6273
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: I am new

Post by sinewav »

Oh hi program. I remember you, back in 1995. You helped turn me onto a lot of new music.
Your cousin, RealPlayer6 was a real pain in my arse though. Since he showed up I've been hanging with a different crowd, but it's good of you to stop by.

My only advice on how to get awesome at this game is to stay away from servers where the rubber is over 5. Also, read the wiki a lot. This is what all the best players do.

Good luck.

Goodygumdrops
Round Winner
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:39 am

Re: I am new

Post by Goodygumdrops »

Realplayer1 wrote:I dont know any core dump techniques. teach me?

sumo 10 hours a day for about 4-6 months then fortress 6-8 hours a day for 3 years

LucK
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Re: I am new

Post by LucK »

Goodygumdrops wrote:
Realplayer1 wrote:I dont know any core dump techniques. teach me?

sumo 10 hours a day for about 4-6 months then fortress 6-8 hours a day for 3 years
I've tried this it's still not working

iRock
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: I am new

Post by iRock »

sinewav wrote:Oh hi program. I remember you, back in 1995. You helped turn me onto a lot of new music.
Your cousin, RealPlayer6 was a real pain in my arse though. Since he showed up I've been hanging with a different crowd, but it's good of you to stop by.

My only advice on how to get awesome at this game is to stay away from servers where the rubber is over 5. Also, read the wiki a lot. This is what all the best players do.

Good luck.
I have to say, I kinda disagree. High Rubber is just another game type. Not all of the best players hang out in Low Rubber servers...look at me for instance :D


I think the reason that a lot of the players that have been playing longer don't like High Rubber is that it is something that came along later. They never started out at High Rubber like us noobs, cause it did not exist. It is kinda like Microsoft Office. When Microsoft Office 2007 came out, most of the people that had used MS Office 2003 did not like it, but the people that never used anything other then MS Office 2007 loved it.

Anyway, the best advice I can give you is to spend equal amounts of time in High Rubber and Low Rubber. That way you become good at both types of gameplay.

happy tronning,
iRock

Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 4171
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: I am new

Post by Word »

I think the reason that a lot of the players that have been playing longer don't like High Rubber is that it is something that came along later.
no, it's because most of you don't know how to play. that's why I also don't like dog fight.

User avatar
ppotter
Match Winner
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:45 am

Re: I am new

Post by ppotter »

iRock wrote:
sinewav wrote:Oh hi program. I remember you, back in 1995. You helped turn me onto a lot of new music.
Your cousin, RealPlayer6 was a real pain in my arse though. Since he showed up I've been hanging with a different crowd, but it's good of you to stop by.

My only advice on how to get awesome at this game is to stay away from servers where the rubber is over 5. Also, read the wiki a lot. This is what all the best players do.

Good luck.
I have to say, I kinda disagree. High Rubber is just another game type. Not all of the best players hang out in Low Rubber servers...look at me for instance :D


I think the reason that a lot of the players that have been playing longer don't like High Rubber is that it is something that came along later. They never started out at High Rubber like us noobs, cause it did not exist. It is kinda like Microsoft Office. When Microsoft Office 2007 came out, most of the people that had used MS Office 2003 did not like it, but the people that never used anything other then MS Office 2007 loved it.

Anyway, the best advice I can give you is to spend equal amounts of time in High Rubber and Low Rubber. That way you become good at both types of gameplay.

happy tronning,
iRock
I'd like to believe you but I've never seen a good player proclaim themselves good (sorry Magic)

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: I am new

Post by Phytotron »

I don't like high rubber because A) it was never intended to be set high—it's an abuse of the setting, and B) it produces exceptionally lame gameplay.

User avatar
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: I am new

Post by Mkay1 »

Phytotron wrote:I don't like high rubber because A) it was never intended to be set high—it's an abuse of the setting, and B) it produces exceptionally lame gameplay.
Purely Perspective! Some people find it fun to navigate through tiny 'traps', giving the feeling of pride when they sucessfully overcome the challenge. Although something may be high rubber, it might not necessarily give the player forgiveness, in rubber, if you will. If the cycle_speed is 1000, then I would consider 20 rubber (infinate tails, something like arena_size 4) to be proportionally low. I bet I would not be able to survive as easily as in your server. Just playing devils advocate.
Relax, hr is nothing compared to these instances.http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-bigge ... ne-gaming/

iRock: I challenge you. I'll give you a brief background first. I started in yellow sub for about a month, then moved exclusively to fort/sumo (played swampland and wildcat about once every two weeks). I have noticed, I can easily integrate into other servers, as can many others(with much success), with just showing up. I can often get to at least the middle of the leaderboard, if not better. I challenge you to come to a fort server, and prove all of us skeptics wrong, that low rubber players aren't the best. You can do this by scoring halfway up the leaderboard. You can do the same with sumo.

This was a bitch to type on my phone.. it makes it hard to keep thinking in a concise manner. It's also a pain to lookup propper spelling/meaning of words :(.

iRock
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: I am new

Post by iRock »

Mkay1 wrote:
Phytotron wrote:I don't like high rubber because A) it was never intended to be set high—it's an abuse of the setting, and B) it produces exceptionally lame gameplay.
Purely Perspective! Some people find it fun to navigate through tiny 'traps', giving the feeling of pride when they sucessfully overcome the challenge. Although something may be high rubber, it might not necessarily give the player forgiveness, in rubber, if you will. If the cycle_speed is 1000, then I would consider 20 rubber (infinate tails, something like arena_size 4) to be proportionally low. I bet I would not be able to survive as easily as in your server. Just playing devils advocate.
Relax, hr is nothing compared to these instances.http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-bigge ... ne-gaming/

iRock: I challenge you. I'll give you a brief background first. I started in yellow sub for about a month, then moved exclusively to fort/sumo (played swampland and wildcat about once every two weeks). I have noticed, I can easily integrate into other servers, as can many others(with much success), with just showing up. I can often get to at least the middle of the leaderboard, if not better. I challenge you to come to a fort server, and prove all of us skeptics wrong, that low rubber players aren't the best. You can do this by scoring halfway up the leaderboard. You can do the same with sumo.

This was a bitch to type on my phone.. it makes it hard to keep thinking in a concise manner. It's also a pain to lookup propper spelling/meaning of words :(.
I love High Rubber because of the complexity that you can't find in low rubber. It is not just "drive in front of him" to win, it involves traps, digs, stabs, and some cool little moves. I also like Low Rubber because of its simplicity.

I totally agree with Mkay1. It is all in your perspective. I don't like baseball but do I think it is a noob sport? Do I think it is lame? No. I just do not like it. It seems boring and slow. But it is not easy.

I will not take you up on your challenge cause I suck at Sumo and Fort. But does that make me a bad player? I don't think so. It is kinda like reviewing a restaurant. Just because you don't like one meal out of the 30 they serve does that make the restaurant bad and only one star? No. It might be 4.5 stars.

I will never tell you I am the best. I am better then average, and one of the "good" players, but not amazing. But, you tell me you play Low Rubber but can play well at any server. So, I will challenge you to go to Afrothunders High Rubber and do really well there. If you can, then great. You are an all around player.

What defines a "good" player?

Another thing that pisses me off is that Low Rubber players think they are better then everyone else, that High Rubber is a "noob" game. Rubber was not meant to be used like it is, but if the developers did not like it used like it is, they would cap rubber at something like 5. Sure, Low Rubber players are good at Low Rubber, but how good are they at High Rubber. Tell me one Low Rubber player that is doing well on the leaderboard on a High Rubber server. Low Rubber players play well at Low Rubber and High Rubber players play well at High Rubber. Some players are good at both.

Anyway, I am not good at Sumo (camping game) and Fort (non core dump game) even though I like to play them. But I am good at basic Low Rubber Core Dumping games. And High Rubber.

If any Low Rubber player gets mad at me for calling Sumo a "camping game", then think about what you call High Rubber. You can call High Rubber "lame" but I can't call Sumo a "camping game"?

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: I am new

Post by Phytotron »

Hrm, I saw you in Pud Muddle—a high rubber server, no matter what you say. I'm not sure you scored a point, and your play was very rudimentary (truly, not recognizing the name I just assumed you were a novice). You were an easy dump. You did chat (though no one responded) and spam instachats and "lag!" a lot, though, so there's that.

As for the "complexity" of "cool little moves" you claim characterise high rubber, it's purely cosmetic. An exercise in superfluity. Muddying the waters to make them seem deep. If you doing 25 actions to accomplish the same thing I can in 3 or 4 makes you feel special, well, OK, just understand it's artifice.

Furthermore, "low rubber" is not simply "drive in front of him to win." Attempt to go about it with that mentality and you will fail miserably. There is a great deal more to it than that.

Also, what "leaderboard?" I hope you don't mean the ladder.

And incidentally, I don't like sumo or fortress, either.
if the developers did not like it used like it is, they would cap rubber at something like 5
Liking it certainly is not their reason for leaving it open-ended. I'll let Z-Man elaborate on that one, if he's so inclined.

iRock
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Re: I am new

Post by iRock »

Dang, I lost all the stuff I wrote, so I will sum it up here.

I was lagging cause I was on a slow wifi network. Also, I was testing camera settings. I am not trying to make excuses, this is just how it was.

If the water is muddy, it makes it much harder to see, right?

All I am saying is that I like HR even if you don't. I think it is fun.

iRock

Magic
Core Dumper
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: I am new

Post by Magic »

ppotter wrote:
iRock wrote: I have to say, I kinda disagree. High Rubber is just another game type. Not all of the best players hang out in Low Rubber servers...look at me for instance :D


I think the reason that a lot of the players that have been playing longer don't like High Rubber is that it is something that came along later. They never started out at High Rubber like us noobs, cause it did not exist. It is kinda like Microsoft office.
iRock
I'd like to believe you but I've never seen a good player proclaim themselves good (sorry Magic)
It's ok I know you meant to say excluding magic, well irock you could be on to something except for the fact high rubber has been around longer than most of today's players have. I used to like high rubber but today's afrothunder settings are just uninteresting. I guess I don't have clearance to say much as I only play fortress now but w/e

User avatar
sidewall
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: I am new

Post by sidewall »

@Realplayer1 Do you know how to double-bind? If not you wont survive long.
Armagetron member

Post Reply