I do not understand double blind behaviour

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
douglass

I do not understand double blind behaviour

Post by douglass »

Good afternoon,
to drive, I use Q, and W to go left
X, and D do turn right.

to do double binding, I press at the same time q, w, and dx to do left left, right right, left left, right right.

But there are many space between my wall also I trained a lot to hit at the same time booth left and both right.

Why when other do left left right right do they have no space?
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Re: I do not understand double blind behaviour

Post by Tank Program »

If you're sure it's not a server setting, it could be a hardware limit on your keyboard.
THEred
Core Dumper

Post by THEred »

mine did the same thing, just chose different keys
red
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

In those godawful servers with obscenely low CYCLE_DELAY (the minimum time/distance allowed between consecutive turns), the width of the turns can be affected by simple latency, perhaps including framerate, resulting in inconsistent 180s.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yeah, but I'd expect the issue to be HIGH framerates rather than low ones. With low FPS, chances that your near-simultaneous keypresses will be read as really simultaneous because they happen during the same frame are higher. My bet is on a hardware/driver limitation, too.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

It's pretty obvious from the first screenshot that the right/right combination works just fine, but apparently q/w for left/left doesn't.
->
THEred wrote:just choose different keys

edit: thanks seven5 :roll:
Last edited by Lackadaisical on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by 7575757575 »

well.
i think the right-right combination works fine and the left-left is the problem. :roll:
KingNoob1
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by KingNoob1 »

Well could it be that your reaction or soemthing is slower then your right hand. Some people are lefty and some are righty. I mess up some times when I try to just use my right hand. And I'm guessing your a right handed person correct?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I almost thought this was going to be about double-blind trials.

I doubt handedness leads to such big differences. My bet is on the keyboard or something related to it as well. BTW, I found that although I'm right-handed, my left hand is slightly faster, just less controllable.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Far be it from me to contribute anything that might aid or facilitate doublebinding and 180 abuse, but just for illustrative purposes, here's an example of what I was talking about. I went into a Wildcat server to demonstrate, since it's the most egregious I'm aware of, in terms of obscenely low cycle_delay, and produces the most explicit example. But, the same inconsistency will happen with still-too-low values of, say, roundabout 0.05. Heck, maybe even at 0.1. I dunno. You tell me what it is that's to blame (which you may have already).
Attachments
screenshot_4.png
Uneven_180s.rec.bz2
(151.5 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

Jonathan wrote:...I found that although I'm right-handed, my left hand is slightly faster, just less controllable.
Yea, same for me; a bit strange.
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Did some experiments. With me, imperfect DB 180s happen indeed just when the keypresses don't get passed to the application within the same frame. Whether it's my fingers' inaccuracy, a hardware problem or driver problem, I can't say. There is one simple solution, of course. Two, in fact, one for server admins and one for players.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Did you notice the recording attached above? Dunno if it's useful. Like I said, it's not as though I want to benefit the low cycle_delay, doublebinding, or 180 abuse. But, in the event that it might be one of those cases where it illuminates a broader issue....
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, but in cases where I can reproduce the effect myself (the screenshot helped establish that it was the same thing I'm seeing), I prefer to just make my own recordings, then I can analyze them right away in the current development environment without having to switch to whatever the submitter used to record.