I dont understand...

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
scene
Core Dumper

Re: I dont understand...

Post by scene »

Ok let's get rid of the popular servers to make room for "classic" gamestyle. There are plenty other light cycles games out there so if u want just straight up hit the wall and die you can go there. But really there wouldn't be even a quarter of the popularity for this game had people not taken settings to extremes and experimented with it. Don't get me wrong, I did/do find it fun to play in the more classic lightcycle setting, however I do think it is fun to explore settings and alter the game to play differently. Ultimately it is up to the server host to decide what they want though, banning servers that don't follow a certain code would be a death sentence to a lot of this games popularity. What would be the point of having people host servers if the settings are already set? That would defeat the majority of the reason to host a server in the first place.

Oh and saying high rubber takes no skill is not true. Escaping takes a hell of a lot of skill as does trapping and digging. Old high rubber was just as skill demanding as any other game type in my opinion.

But to sum it all up, the game is evolving. Make a "classic" server if you so wish, but stop whining because people at the moment like different servers.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

scene wrote:...banning servers that don't follow a certain code would be a death sentence to a lot of this games popularity. What would be the point of having people host servers if the settings are already set? That would defeat the majority of the reason to host a server in the first place.
:lol: THE LOL!

Death sentence? If people were so keen to experiment, why do we have so many clones with the exact same settings? Please explain why, at the time I wrote this, there are 23 Fortress servers and 35 Sumo servers? None of these servers are pushing boundaries. The high rubber ones aren't either; they are all basically the same. Check out this recent post by a high-rubber enthusiast:
hydro225 wrote:Will someone out there please give me a script to a high rubber game? I had text edit up and everything but I just don't know what to type. And all I need is the script left. And please let it be to where it is high rubber, like the other servers you see. =D
Yes, some people experiment. But the majority of players just pick a game mode and stick to it. The freedom to experiment isn't a big concern for most people, and certainly wouldn't hurt Arma's "popularity". FLTron has almost as many players as we do and you have almost no control over settings over there. (Also, there aren't "plenty [of] other light cycles games out there" with online play.)

Edit: After posting the above, I decided to check out the super skills all these HR players have. I went to Yellow Sub for the first time and won - and I only played 4 rounds. How?
Attachments
i-am-hr-1337.png
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

you need to meet Berber Goat :)
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

YS is not really a HR server

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

scene
Core Dumper

Post by scene »

Yellow sub isn't a high rubber server lol. And I was talking about old high rubber, not this new generation. And I know there are way too many fortress and sumo servers, but you would want to do the same thing with "classic" servers?

:idea: Whatever, I'm not gonna argue about a game.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Well 'classic' servers are defined by their settings rather than their game mode, so would mostly be unique rather than clones like 90% of fort/sumo/ctf servers.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

scene wrote:Yellow sub isn't a high rubber server lol. And I was talking about old high rubber, not this new generation. And I know there are way too many fortress and sumo servers, but you would want to do the same thing with "classic" servers?
The rubber in YS is 12; how is that not HR? Oh wait, I see, more arbitrary game rules for players to make excuses for sucking. I'm so glad we now have bad tronners who play old-hr and bad tronners who play new-gen-hr.

The point is, if Arma had built-in restrictions on the rubber code no one would have known the difference or cared right from the start. You can still have zones and creativity. But this HR nonsense is just that - nonsense.

And yes I would like to see many more classic servers. As it stands, out of 200+ servers I only know of one that uses Arma's default settings. Less than 5% of all the servers on the list have low rubber. Experimentation? Creativity? There are so many ways to change gameplay without raising the rubber code, yet only a couple of people seem to get this.
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

If there was a completely "lag" free classic server, I would play it.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Just because I'm unemployed and have that much free time, I give you this: a comparison of rubber between zone-based servers (fort, sumo, ctf) and regular ones.

Interesting finds: There are currently 3 servers using default settings (epic classic, ferr's, unnamed). One server (Piojo's High Velocity) appears to be a true no-rubber server. The rubber meter is at zero, and it doesn't seem to bug out. It has interesting settings except for a ridiculously low cycle delay.

One of these days I think I'm going to make a low-rubber sub-culture.
Attachments
rubberComparison.png
rubberComparison.png (11.16 KiB) Viewed 5929 times
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Uh, scene, don't get all in a tizzy or tied up in a knot. No one is actually suggesting, let alone planning on, "banning" or otherwise eliminating high rubber or the "special game modes" from this game (unfortunately). Besides, even if such a thing were to occur, no doubt someone would make a "fork" or "branch," or whatever the proper term is, to reinstate that crap, anyway. Or, just go to Tron Origins.

Just like I alluded to in my first post in this thread (which I'm betting you didn't read).

And yes, 12 most certainly qualifies as high rubber. Your standards are just skewed.
Tobe wrote:If there was a completely "lag" free classic server, I would play it.
Let me know when you find someone who has figured out how to speed up light.
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

Phytotron wrote:
Tobe wrote:If there was a completely "lag" free classic server, I would play it.
Let me know when you find someone who has figured out how to speed up light.
I was, more or less, saying I wouldn't play it.. But, now that I think about it, I would play if there was about 10 players who all have less than 60 ping.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
scene
Core Dumper

Post by scene »

Phytotron wrote:
And yes, 12 most certainly qualifies as high rubber. Your standards are just skewed.
Actually most people consider that medium rubber. How do you know your standards aren't skewed?
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

To each their own.
Wouldn't it be more accurate to class servers based on how long it takes to use up the allotted rubber and how quickly it replenishes compared to simply classifying based on the cycle_rubber? A server with 4 rubber and a cycle_rubber_time of .1 allows for longer pushing into a wall than a server with 30 rubber and a cycle_rubber_time of 100.(By rough count, about ten seconds)

Though, the last one does present an interesting server option where the rubber allotted at the start of the round is all that you have for the entire round. Need to lower the rubber at start to a 1/3 or 1/6th of the 30 above or some such and increase cycle_rubber_time quite likely.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

scene wrote:
Phytotron wrote:And yes, 12 most certainly qualifies as high rubber. Your standards are just skewed.
Actually most people consider that medium rubber. How do you know your standards aren't skewed?
I'm gonna go ahead and say if there is any value which should be considered the dividing line between high and low rubber it should be five (5). You can't get any more "medium" than 5 rubber.
Attachments
rubberFrequency.png
(8.67 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

W00t, 4.8!