Closing gameplay or how to throw the troll in the arena

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Closing gameplay or how to throw the troll in the arena

Post by Word »

Slov wrote:we don't have to be friends but atleast not enemies and i'll leave you alone if you leave me and ds alone.
what does this have to do with DS/PRU?
Go ahead and advocate "playing open", but do it in a reasonable, never-seen-before way. At least don't spam.

Also, i didn't ask Boxed to post here. He probably had the same thought i had when i read your post.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

don't say you don't know what i'm talking about :lol: half of my post got edited because it's offtopic so ttyl :wink:
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

Phytotron wrote:I don't know what Tobe is talking about. As far as I've ever known, "dogfight" and "loose" and "open" are basically synonymous terms. And none have "always existed." All this nonsense came about just in the last few years. Prior to that, from the beginning of this game, so-called "closing"was the norm

That's about all I'll say about it, just to clear up a few things.
I don't understand.

Line 1 you say dogfight is synonymous to open which would suggest that dogfights should be open. Then you say closing is the norm.
pLxDari - Challenge us!
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Dariv, you should read it again, it makes complete sense.

@everyone If there are no specific rules that say you can't close in a server, please don't bitch if someone does.
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

I read it about 10 times before posting, never mind, it's not important I guess
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

I'm seeing my name pop up, but I can't recall what I said :/
Boxed
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

dariv: dogfighting is a specific type of server, where all you're meant to do is trap them, not aim to kill. Or something.

"Normal" is a deathmatch with no rules on open or closed play
Cheese
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Cheese »

I think the point of Armagetron is to eliminate the other players (not including Fort or CTF or other game types). I don't care if my opponent plays open, closed, or shoots me, or forces me into a death zone. He has still beat me. I play closed cause it is the way I learned to play. I have never had someone yell at me for playing closed. Of course, I play open when there is no rubber :D

And if a server bans playing closed then I will not play in that server. Cause I play closed.

I wonder why there apparently is servers that ban playing closed but no servers that ban playing open. Is that because playing open puts people at a disadvantage vs people that close?

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Cheese
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Cheese wrote:Of course, I play open when there is no rubber :D
Er, and what game would that be? GLTron?
I wonder why there apparently is servers that ban playing closed but no servers that ban playing open.
It's because "playing open (or whatever other stupid name they want to give it)" is made-up game rules, to be followed or broken. There's no reason to have rules for the default manner of playing (i.e., so-called "closing").
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

I think by no rubber he means very low like 0.1 or 0.2 servers (or possibly means even 1 rubber servers).

And phyto, you know that there are plenty of games with (made up) rules to be followed. Football for example, only the keepers can use their hands. It would be much easier to win if you simply picked up the ball and ran into the goal, but thats not the case: certain rules make games more challenging, and a more challenging game can bring out more impressive feats of skill.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

syllabear wrote:I think by no rubber he means very low like 0.1 or 0.2 servers (or possibly means even 1 rubber servers).
Still possible to grind.
And phyto, you know that there are plenty of games with (made up) rules to be followed. Football for example, only the keepers can use their hands. It would be much easier to win if you simply picked up the ball and ran into the goal, but thats not the case: certain rules make games more challenging, and a more challenging game can bring out more impressive feats of skill.
And syllabear, you should have brains enough to realise that's entirely irrelevant—especially the willy-waving tagged on at the end.

The guy wondered why only "open, etc." servers enforce their gameplay rules, while there aren't servers that enforce so-called closing. Answer: The latter isn't something that needs enforcing, any more than one needs to enforce wall acceleration.

"Open" does require enforcement (much like fortress, by the way) since it is defined not by server settings, but by artificially erected rules that deviate from the default manner of playing, a manner which naturally extends from the game's physics. If there were physics settings that made so-called closing and all the other rules associated with "DF" (e.g., "backdoor" :roll: ) impossible, then there would be no need to enforce it, now would there.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Pretty sure there are settings which enforce open play.

"Backdoor" can be enforced with unlimited tails, but these produce unwanted side effects, and its easier to just ask people.

But you're right, I didn't read the quoted text in your post and you were simply stating a point, so theres no real argument here.

However, you're nitpicking with the 0.1 or 0.2 rubber being any more than no rubber. realistically speaking its not possible to consistantly grind those servers when playing online, unless you have a fantastic connection.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Not that I like to jump in a rubber flame war, but you can have negative rubber. You do explode before you get close to a wall. (Or at least you could and used to, I haven't tried this in a long time.)
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Tank Program wrote:Not that I like to jump in a rubber flame war, but you can have negative rubber. You do explode before you get close to a wall. (Or at least you could and used to, I haven't tried this in a long time.)
Saw your post, so I had to try it. CYCLE_RUBBER -1 just makes all the cycles explode as quickly as Armagetron can kill them. Interesting, could be useful to kill everybody in a server for some reason....
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

i do that often to start a new match