Closing gameplay or how to throw the troll in the arena

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Apary

Closing gameplay or how to throw the troll in the arena

Post by Apary »

First of all, I'm not here to troll. Despite this, I'm aware that throwing a debate like this one will eventually get insulted, get everyone angry around. Even though, Im ready to go through all this just to have a proper debate with experienced dogfighters. I ask everyone to remain calm and debate with the proper amount of politeness.
Sorry for my unprecise English speech, as I'm not a native.

I've played armagetron since 2004. My nickname changed a few times, and Apary is quite unknown, as it's pretty new.
My speciality is classical game with infinite wall length.

In 2004-2007, I was a pretty known player, especially on Strawberry fields and Norm's place.
In 2008, I had to stop playing and became very occasional.
In 2009, I came back, got back to a similar server, and began playing as I always did.

Something changed though. Players had developed a strange hatred towards closers.
Closing has always been the main tactic on this type of game. Dog fighting servers always existed, and their main point is avoiding closing and fighting.
I can understand on doesn't like closing, and prefers going dogfight. I can understand some players can refuse to close. I can understand 2 players dueling can agree not to close for pride's sake. What I can't understand is insulting players playing differently. There's a lot of servers for dogfight, with low rubber and low wall length.

Personally, I don't give a **** getting insulted. But I feel like the debate is worth posting. Especially when players tend to kick you because you are closing. I'm not coming with a team of closers and kicking everyone dogfighting on a dogfight server.
Maybe a debate will give opportunity to lower tension by giving both sides an opportunity to speak. I certainly hope so.

Cheers all!
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Closing gameplay or how to throw the troll in the arena

Post by syllabear »

possibly the most irrelevent subforum to post this in. I'm actually quite impressed.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

appreciated your post :)
this debate already exists though
http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... =1&t=19728
Tobe
Round Winner

Post by Tobe »

Ok, well there aren't many dogfighters here (infact, most here dislike DF or don't care for it's rules) that check these forums regularly so this probably is not the least bias place to check.
But lemme clear some things up for you, as for I do play DF.

1. DF has changed greatly over the past year due to old servers dieing and new clan servers surfacing.

2. Dog Fight is by no means a universal term anymore; any server can have it's own set of rules. Either play like that, or they will ask you to leave.

3. DF has mostly turned into loose play for the reason that most of these DF servers are DF clans who mostly all agree it is to be played loose.

4. Closing has NOT always been the main way it was played. There was just a lot of closing the time you played for the reason that it was the trend then.

Well, the main point is to either play the way they designed it to be played or go play somewhere else.
<-- Proud co-leader of Rogue Tronners
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I don't know what Tobe is talking about. As far as I've ever known, "dogfight" and "loose" and "open" are basically synonymous terms. And none have "always existed." All this nonsense came about just in the last few years. Prior to that, from the beginning of this game, so-called "closing" (a term that only came into use after the "open" fad kicked in) was the norm; indeed, it was the assumed way of dumping cores, the point of the friggin' game. The only exception being mutual, voluntary "tunneling," which had nothing whatsoever to do with competition, rules, codes of honor or anything of that sort.
There's a lot of servers for dogfight, with low rubber and low wall length.
Those configuration settings don't define 'DF,' and vice-versa. Don't assume that because a server has low rubber and finite walls that it's a "DF/loose/open" server.

That's about all I'll say about it, just to clear up a few things. Not going to pour over the merits one way or another since, as Word pointed out, it has already been covered extensively in at least two lengthy threads on this forum (use the search function before posting, people), and I pretty much exhausted the expression of my views on the subject.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

oh, this again :o

i played in ddl and cheers for a while and i always played open because i enjoy making open traps and let my opponent a chance to get out ... the fights are more fun than just digging ... whoever gets infront of the enemy wins if you close :|

just play like you want to and get used to it that people in death match servers will probably bitch you out if you close since everyone plays open there .. :roll:
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Slov wrote:just play like you want to and get used to it that people in death match servers will probably bitch you out if you close since everyone plays open there .. :roll:
If there are no posted rules prohibiting "closing," then there is no justification or excuse for being verbally abusive or issuing kick votes, etc., to those who do "close" (i.e., play normally). It's just plain bullying. You are not on the high ground here.

(And specifically regarding Cheers, I suggest you read here: http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 50#p226850. "Cheers is not and never has been an 'open play' server.")
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

"Cheers is not and never has been an 'open play' server."

lies :lol:

my mixtape fire tho
Word

Post by Word »

Thank you for this post, slov. perhaps it was important to you that the incomprehension of Cheers players comes out into the open, while the debate on principles is subsidiary and not worth reading. Please continue to waste our time and post reasonless statements to make this forum a disability-friendlier place. :roll:
Word

Post by Word »

to add some sort of sense to this thread, because it's indeed lame to repeat what others said:
would it be feasible to include an instant chat which alludes to this claustrophobia? (i don't think it will keep anyone of the 'open' propagandists from complaining about 'closing', but it could have a symbolic value ;) )

like...um..."only idiots distinguish open and closed!"...i'm sure Phytotron can think of something :)
Last edited by Word on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Heh, when I returned to the game last fall—in response to the "stop closing/sealing/digging/stabbing!" (whatever any of that means) crowd—I created an instachat that says, "Stop crashing into my wall!"

That makes the point, I think. No need for sinking to equal level with their insults.

Looks like the Cheers owner and admins/moderators still have some work to do.
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

Every popular server has an issue that it battles with at least once in its time running. We are attempting to deal with players that are out of line, regarding the maligning of other players that close, the same as we would any other issue. However, it does, and will, continue to take time and effort to bring about the changes that the administration staff and owner of Cheers! feel need to be made.

We are always looking for the support of the community and for new players to come and join the player base of Cheers! to add more variation. If you have suggestions or complaints regarding the server or simply want to be a mod/admin there, feel free to post on the armagetron.co.uk forums or to PM it to one of the administrators of Cheers! either on these forums or on that one. If you need a list of the admins, I can provide one. These are not the forums for that, however.

Cheers! will continue to support both open and closed play for the foreseeable future.

Word, Slov: Go take the stupid and ignorant parts of your posts to a forum that cares for it. You already tried to have your machismo, posturing fight on the other forums; don't try to take it here next because nobody gives a shit for it.

I've always found, in terms of strategy, that a mix of closing and open works best. Your opponent can never really get set for what is coming next. ;)
Word

Post by Word »

Paladin wrote:Word, Slov: Go take the stupid and ignorant parts of your posts to a forum that cares for it. You already tried to have your machismo, posturing fight on the other forums; don't try to take it here next because nobody gives a shit for it.
My text doesn't make sense anymore because Slov's vapid posts were removed (spam/troll attempt?) :roll:

(and i think everyone can agree that it's kind of disrespectful not to read other posts and to base one's line of argumentation on previous posts...for example fingerbib's statement, which was unambiguous. BoxeD tried to tell Slov that, and got called bitch, hence my instant chat request.)
I don't know why you lump us together.
Last edited by Word on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

well you can see in my first post that i didn't post anything about him or his clan or whatever but he still started being a smartass...then his friends came in :roll:

we don't have to be friends but atleast not enemies and i'll leave you alone if you leave me and ds alone.
Last edited by Tank Program on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: content

my mixtape fire tho
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Ahem, *cough*, keep in line please.