triple binding

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
theslyfox
On Lightcycle Grid

triple binding

Post by theslyfox »

I'm have trouble triple binding, how do you set your keyboard up?
theslyfox
On Lightcycle Grid

Re: triple binding

Post by theslyfox »

-.- that works too lol
Puppetman

Post by Puppetman »

I dont even understand how triple binding could possibly be useful. What are you doing with it?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Puppetman wrote:I dont even understand how triple binding could possibly be useful. What are you doing with it?
I find triple binding to be very useful to survive in a small space as the biggest thing. It is also useful, in some servers to build a tight launcher faster than double binds do, particularly useful in shooting servers. Honestly, I will say that it is mostly useless for most servers. However, to actually answer your question, I triple bind in the following manner. To further explain first, I actual quad bind to make perfect triple binds.

I keep my hands on the home row, so chatting is easy as well.

a,s,d,j are bound to left, f,k,l,; are bound to right. This allows me to roll my hand from pinky to index finger to make perfect triple binds.

I glance with my index fingers with the g for left glance, h for right glance and b for back glance. I do single bind more than anything with my middle finger. The space bar is for the brake key.

A lot of people triple bind in fortress and sumo, and while not required, it is a very useful skill. It is also useful, but certainly not required elsewhere.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

It's totally pointless in fort/sumo imo, you can double bind just as quickly, and it makes you lazy.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

ppotter wrote:It's totally pointless in fort/sumo imo, you can double bind just as quickly, and it makes you lazy.
I dunno. using 3 fingers to make 3 turns is (obviously?) less effort than making 3 turns with 2 fingers, which leaves more time to watch your opponents.

And fyi I was lazy long before I started triple binding :D
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Titanoboa wrote:
ppotter wrote:It's totally pointless in fort/sumo imo, you can double bind just as quickly, and it makes you lazy.
I dunno. using 3 fingers to make 3 turns is (obviously?) less effort than making 3 turns with 2 fingers, which leaves more time to watch your opponents.

And fyi I was lazy long before I started triple binding :D
Before i started triple binding I had a real problem glancing properly. I now glance constantly. I even occasionally glance in sumo and find opportunities I would otherwise miss. I too was lazy long before I learned to double bind!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Opposite for me. Glancing is easier and done more often without my fingers tied up with doublebinding. Turns on the right hand, glances on the left. I can do both at once (and quite often do, in part because I use my custom glances to 'reset' the smart cam). Not so if I were doublebinding, because in such a case my secondary turns would also be on the left hand. Of course, point there being that it depends on where they're bound.
Puppetman wrote:I dont even understand how triple binding could possibly be useful. What are you doing with it?
Making three turns with one mash of the keys. In other words, letting the keyboard and computer do the work for them, and exploiting low CYCLE_DELAY values.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Phytotron wrote:Opposite for me. Glancing is easier and done more often without my fingers tied up with doublebinding.
I set it up so I can reach all relevant keys without moving my hands at all. 6 for turning, 4 for glancing, 1 brake, 4 most important /team instas, and of course the /drop command. :)

Whenever I single bind (happens from time to time) I just end up being restless.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron wrote:Opposite for me. Glancing is easier and done more often without my fingers tied up with doublebinding. Turns on the right hand, glances on the left. I can do both at once (and quite often do, in part because I use my custom glances to 'reset' the smart cam). Not so if I were doublebinding, because in such a case my secondary turns would also be on the left hand. Of course, point there being that it depends on where they're bound.
Making three turns with one mash of the keys. In other words, letting the keyboard and computer do the work for them, and exploiting low CYCLE_DELAY values.
As I have been working more on my single binding skills, i have found I can better glance as well while only single binding. As you point out Phyto, when I triple bind i am letting the computer and keyboard do the work for me and completely exploiting low CYCLE_DELAY values. I have learned over time to check the CYCLE_DELAY in any new server I go into to see if I really should only be single binding most of the time!
flybye

Post by flybye »

i have triple binds set up by I rarely use them
if you are sumo'ing then you should double and press 1 key again- otherwise you might make really tight turns and crash into your own corners.
DawZ
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by DawZ »

in sumo, i triple bind and turn the other way real qwik and u can turn aroud without using much space, i like it and i think its usefull.
DawZ
Akali

Post by Akali »

omg for me the MOST USEFUL BIND is the triple bind for so many reasons, for one the most obvious one is a trap(possibly considered a plug) but they are also so useful to change directions and for strategic moves such as slingshot etc etc