Armagetron Basic Training

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Pr3
Round Winner

Armagetron Basic Training

Post by Pr3 »

I know there has been a lot of text tutorials for Armagetron, but the amount of video tutorials are limited. This is my first attempt at making a training video guide to Armagetron. Since this is in the initial stage of constructions I would like to get some responses to these questions. (optional)

1) Is this a good idea? If no, why?
2) Would this be helpful? Is there anything you would suggest?
3) Should it be an extensive list? or a Quick start guide?
4) Should I include a virtual keyboard?
5) Should this include difficult tactics? (ex: no point hole)
6) Should I mimic a text tutorial

Link to wiki: http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... c_Training
If you have any other input into this matter please let me know.

Preview

Pr3
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Re: Armagetron Basic Training

Post by Lacrymosa »

I think it is a great idea - videos can explain a lot of things easier than a text can. However, Video Tutorials have their disadvantages as well - for example if you are looking for a specific thing, you have no other option other than scrolling through the video until you find what you are looking for.

I enjoy reading text tutorials as well as watching video tutorials - it is probably just a matter of taste what you prefer. I just read my way through a pretty long tutorial which combined both - text and videos. And what should I say, it was great to read/watch. The videos were set up to compliment the written information really well.

Therefore, the best way to set up a tutorial would be, still only my opinion, to create videos that add up to a text tutorial.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I like the idea, and the name ;), but I think I should point out that Fortress isn't exactly "basic" training. Perhaps different levels of training? Basic being more simply about moving around, some simple strategies. Intermediate introducing fortress, some simple strategies there. Advanced being how to rule the world as an evil dictator, etc. :)

Edit: Didn't even see the joke there. Armagetron "Advanced" Training? :lol:
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

Looks like a great idea!

Fortress, particularly the grind, can be hard to understand without visual references. A video explanation could be really helpful to new players.

Time for my slow moment; why would you include a virtual keyboard?
he said.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Perhaps so you can see which keys are hit. Might help to develop a better sense of where stuff is (or even what good binds are) before diving into it yourself.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I did write a bit of code to read a .aarec, and then write on top of individual frames what keys were being pressed. There's a video of it on youtube somewhere.