Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
theroze
Match Winner

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by theroze »

If harassing makes you happier, go ahead :P
Nah well, had Photofiltre open, was lazy, but yea, I'm not a sine.wav :wink:
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

Do these forums have an arts and crafts section, or maybe a Refrigerator section that we can put those pics in?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Doesn't MS Paint have a line tool?

I'll never understand the fun in constantly chasing your tail.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

you get a perverse, subconscious idea like this and project it onto your enemy:
MikeyW
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by MikeyW »

the new one (windows 7) has a modified line tool where clicking on the end of an existing line picks it up, rather than starts a new line.

Somehow Microsoft have managed to screw up the simplest program ever.
chah
Core Dumper

Post by chah »

owned wrote:However, you can gain a substantial advantage over your opponent if you are going in the same direction but are slightly ahead of their cycle.
It's a lot like shrinking a def in fortress. You're basically copying their wall, but staying far enough (but not too far) ahead of them so that they can't kill you, and they have to hide behind their tail in fear that you'll cut into their space.

Asides from this, what'll help you a lot in sumo is watching your opponent more than you watch yourself.
Don't hate the player, hate the entire clan.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

chah wrote:watching your opponent more than you watch yourself.
That goes for all of tron, not only sumo.
As long as you aren't in a tight situation, you should always watch your surroundings and opponents.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

...except that I've heard some of the "best" sumo players have a camera and FOV settings that only allow them to see a few meters in every direction. "Mazers" do this I think.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

sinewav wrote:...except that I've heard some of the "best" sumo players have a camera and FOV settings that only allow them to see a few meters in every direction. "Mazers" do this I think.
That's what glances are for. Having a small FOV allows you to make very tight turns and also lets you see everywhere if you glance the right way.
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

sinewav wrote:...except that I've heard some of the "best" sumo players have a camera and FOV settings that only allow them to see a few meters in every direction. "Mazers" do this I think.
Newbie, slashy, me and others use a 'plain cam'. The camera is positioned in a close-to-45° angle behind/above the cycle, this allows you to see much more of the grid, though some people notice a loss in accuracy of the turns.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.
MikeyW
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by MikeyW »

owned wrote:
That's what glances are for. Having a small FOV allows you to make very tight turns and also lets you see everywhere if you glance the right way.
This is interesting...

My FOV is huge, I can see the full zone most of the time, and I rarely have trouble in determining where gaps lie... glancing feels extremely awkward and even then you learn only where one player is at the expense of knowing where you are going, and where other people are (and also at the expense of your finger time to press the button)

I can't imagine what glancing adds, that just zooming out doesn't, unless maybe you have weird textures or low screen res which make it hard to spot gaps.
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

How many axes does that sumo map have Roze? XD
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Liz wrote:How many axes does that sumo map have Roze?
hah
chuckled.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

MikeyW wrote:I can't imagine what glancing adds, that just zooming out doesn't, unless maybe you have weird textures or low screen res which make it hard to spot gaps.
It's more useful for camera's that instead of looking from a really high pov, such that you can see an entire zone, look from lower angles and more in the forward direction (the direction your cycle is facing). Glancing then gives you the ability to look to both sides and behind you, and see enemies that you wouldn't see otherwise. Try smartcam or custom cam (a lower custom cam if you're using it already) and you'll see what i mean.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

On the handful of occasions I've played sumo, I went to an overhead cam (_TURN_SPEED 0). Set height to taste.