Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
MikeyW
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by MikeyW »

Just some questions... I suck at 1v1 and want to talk about sumo!

THe situation is this: (see pic)


You are in a standard 1v1 fight, with half the zone each.

Is it better to be going the same direction or opposing directions, when protecting your half of the zone?? What are the differences?




Image

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by Phytotron »

Dump cores!

User avatar
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: Germany/Munich
Contact:

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by AI-team »

Please stop spamming :evil:
  
 
"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln
 
 

owned
Shutout Match Winner
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:01 pm

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by owned »

MikeyW wrote:Just some questions... I suck at 1v1 and want to talk about sumo!

THe situation is this: (see pic)


You are in a standard 1v1 fight, with half the zone each.

Is it better to be going the same direction or opposing directions, when protecting your half of the zone?? What are the differences?




Image
Think about it. If you are going in the same or opposite direction as your opponent, it doesn't matter because the other player is in the same situation as you. However, you can gain a substantial advantage over your opponent if you are going in the same direction but are slightly ahead of their cycle.

User avatar
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Posts: 5041
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.
Contact:

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by Phytotron »

AI-team wrote:Please stop spamming :evil:
It's not spam. It's a legit advisement. It's not my fault you don't get it.

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by sinewav »

Sumo is all luck anyway.

User avatar
dreadlord
Match Winner
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:26 am
Location: Germany

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by dreadlord »

sinewav wrote:Sumo is all luck anyway.
false ^^

@ Mikey: I wonder if you are the red guy in that pic or the blue guy, because these position have huge differences as woned said yet.

Another tactic on that would be to get speed and to try to kill the enemy then in taking his place, but that's a very aggressive style (it's what i like :))

MikeyW
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by MikeyW »

So the blue will be in a better spot because it is easier for him to get into the red half.

But if you are going in opposite directions, it is different to both going in the same direction- if you then get in the other guy's half by going between the cycle and the end of his tail, he can just go into your half, and nobody gains anything (unless your half is smaller)..,

User avatar
dreadlord
Match Winner
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:26 am
Location: Germany

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by dreadlord »

Ye, that's why it's better to either get him out of the zone by gaining your own place in the zone or to kill him with a speed surprise attack.

User avatar
theroze
Match Winner
Posts: 596
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:30 am
Location: 47 72 69 64

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by theroze »

sinewav wrote:Sumo is all luck anyway.
Totally agreed. Imo, the Blue only had Luck to get that Position.
Now. If I'd be the Red Player I'd turn around, and try to break the Def/shrink it. But still, the Blue Player still has the very better Position, he can drive (literally) in every turn.
However, the Probability that this happens is pretty low anyway, and if that really happens, don't listen to some other's Advices, listen to your Head and play your Style :)
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011

MikeyW
On Lightcycle Grid
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by MikeyW »

but if you turn around (which way, inside your box or outside?) you stop following your tail and blue takes the whole zone...



You say it's luck what position you are in (red or blue), but speed will affect this, and you can always overlap your own tail to make a smaller zone , and use these things to affect whether you are in front or not, surely?

User avatar
theroze
Match Winner
Posts: 596
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:30 am
Location: 47 72 69 64

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by theroze »

In my experience, nope. Look, I will take your Picture as example.
Image

So, I'm the Red Player, I turn around. (Bad Pictures, sorry, Was too lazy to draw them perfectly)
Ex1.jpg
So I've turned, the Blue guy wants to take my Space.
Ex2.jpg
I'm about to take his space, he wants to go out. I could also close him, but I guess, you get my point.
Ex3.jpg
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011

User avatar
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by Titanoboa »

Lmao that is terrible theroze :P

Just.. terrible.

User avatar
sinewav
Graphic Artist
Posts: 6349
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:37 am
Contact:

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by sinewav »

the LOL!

User avatar
Jip
Round Winner
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: Sumo theory, 1v1 hypothetical situations

Post by Jip »

I like it :lol:

Post Reply