The Fortress Guide

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

The Fortress Guide

Post by Lacrymosa »

It is finally "finished". At least as a first version and I decided to release it now. It is by no means "complete" or "perfect" or anything like that, but it should be a good start for further work.

Things that are already on my list for the next version:

- Animations/Videos (kind of experimental, but worth a try)
- List with good videos/recordings (if you know one, tell me)
- Sumo section (?)
- Linklist with additional resources
- Create a table of content

The Fortress Guide can be found at my new site www.creotronic.net at "Armagetron" > "Fortress Guide" and is divided into quite a lot of pages.

Feedback and criticism are welcome as well as contributions (know something that should be included?).
Let me thank Lacka for his Wall against Wall Attack and Sine.wav for his nice outline in the discussion thread that gave me a good outline.

Update
No changes on the content side, but I finally found time for that PDF.
Attachments
the_fortress_guide_0_2.zip
(971.19 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Last edited by Lacrymosa on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theroze
Match Winner

Re: The Fortress Guide

Post by theroze »

Great! As you've already pointed out, Video would be a good Illustration for all those Advices/Tactics. E.g. for Lacka's Wall against Wall Attack, where it shows how it works. But really good work, that will help a lot to help Beginners which are new to Fortress.

By the Way, will an eBook Version be published?
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

theroze wrote: By the Way, will an eBook Version be published?
I already have the Guide as a PDF here, if enough people are interested in an e-book, I could release it.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

could you add a sidebar or something like that to navigate through the pages (so you see all topics and can easily access one specific article)?
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Just had a read through it, and its a good balance of simple and easy to read, while also going in-depth enough to explain how to become a fairly good fort-er almost overnight :)

Found a few things that are either mistakes or my n00bery, but I'll just point them out here anyway :D

http://www.creotronic.net/armagetron-2/ ... ss-guide/3

you mention hole size is 2 in laddle, when it is now smaller, I believe?

http://www.creotronic.net/armagetron-2/ ... ss-guide/4

Here you say score is 6 for capturing a fort and 4 for winning the round. I know this has been suggested recently, but isn't the standard the other way around at the moment?

http://www.creotronic.net/armagetron-2/ ... s-guide/20

you have the same few paragraphs repeated twice.

Other than that it's great as far as I can see. Hopefully a lot of new players will find and read it.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

As I said, a table of content box at the sidebar will follow soon (probably tomorrow). I also fixed the repeated paragraph, that's what happens when you mainly copy & paste :)

I also corrected the score typo, but I am not sure about the hole setting. Will look that up to make it clear.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

if anyone cares, i attack usually like this (slightly different from the wall against wall attack shown on Lacka's graphic)
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

Lackadaisical wrote:Depending how much speed you got you can either harass the defender (and make him burn some rubber) a bit by following his tail just slightly in front of the end [...]
:)
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Looks good :)

Not read it all, but one thing I noticed
Another advantage is the grind itself, it is usually harder than a single grind and can help blocking a center attack, although I would not rely too much on it.
Is that not the wrong way round? From experience and from what others have said, a single grind seems tighter to me.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure potter is right, a 4.9 double binded grind is harder than a 4.9 regular grind.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

A 4.9 double binded grind always yields more speed, and seems like more acceleration to me. Not that I have done many 4.9 grinds. I test the network settings and cycle_ping_rubber this way. If I am trying to maintain something for the cycle_ping_rubber that feels close to the standard, this involves only raising it from the default, like I did for all 3 of my Aussie servers.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

owned wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure potter is right, a 4.9 double binded grind is harder than a 4.9 regular grind.
Nah I meant the other way, if you single grind 4.9 straight from the start, it's a 4.9 grind, but if you double grind you use up a little rubber during the first double bind, say 0.8, so your actual grind on centre is only 4.1 (or whatever).

All I know is, it's a lot harder to centre attack when your opponents single grinded hard :P
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

ppotter wrote:All I know is, it's a lot harder to centre attack when your opponents single grinded hard :P
I've always thought this way too. I really don't know the answer and I wish someone would just draw a diagram showing how rubber works (I can't figure it out). The MINDISTANCE settings confuse me greatly.

I'm pretty sure the distance is cumulative though. And even though you used less rubber on the 2nd grind, you were also that much closer before you 180'd.

So yeah, I have no idea which is correct. But I almost think it doesn't matter too much. The server tends to make certain decisions about your position that you can't really control on that small a scale. I've seen people beat a 4.9 grind before, so go figure.
Attachments
is this a lie?
is this a lie?
sgVSdg.png (9.94 KiB) Viewed 9421 times
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

I have lost before with a 4.9 grind to a doublegrind off the start. :O

But I thought a single grind was always stronger. :/
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

ppotter wrote:
owned wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure potter is right, a 4.9 double binded grind is harder than a 4.9 regular grind.
Nah I meant the other way, if you single grind 4.9 straight from the start, it's a 4.9 grind, but if you double grind you use up a little rubber during the first double bind, say 0.8, so your actual grind on centre is only 4.1 (or whatever).

All I know is, it's a lot harder to centre attack when your opponents single grinded hard :P
Lol, I meant it the other way too, I just mistyped :)