The Fortress Guide

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Core Dumper

Re: The Fortress Guide

Post by newbie »

Z-Man wrote:Yes, sure, *getting* faster is a skill in itself, but it should not be the only one that matters.
logically for the game imo faster cycles shouldn't generate shallower (nor deeper) grinds, but they should for sure use rubber quicker and that's the reward/risk, being faster/crashing quicker
Phytotron wrote:Eh, newbie is just the sort who will grasp at any excuse to boast and belittle others, regardless of the merits.
cool, at least talk directly to people, i will end my part by not summing you up
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Meh. So one type of attack in one type of game seems to be harder with timebased 0 instead of 1? I still don't see the correlation between this and skill. I do know, however, that the rubber in Shrunkland is way, way less forgiving than any Fort server.
Core Dumper

Post by newbie »

forget the correlation, with timebased 0 rubber isn't an equivalent of grind deepness and for two different cycles rubber 3.9 might not be better than rubber 3.7 (and since these are cycle physics, it has nothing to do with the game type), there's nothing to argue and nothing to understand, it's a simple translation of zman's explanation into its practical impact on the grid
1, 4, 6, 9, 11, 21, 24, 33, 34, 35

Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

newbie, if you're following ladle voting discussion, you will already know that the community seems insistent on making the disadvantage to attackers even bigger

my post pointing out why this might not be such a good idea (it hurts more talented teams) has been -- predictably -- ignored
The once and future "I told you so."
Yoda
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Yoda »

I really enjoyed reading this guide, and despite some of it that i already knew, i found many parts useful. Very well done, you could tell that you put a lot of effort into it.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

if you want to use/modify this, feel free to ^^
Please note that i have made this after reading sine.wav's essay; i called the player who is causing the hole "holer", not the player that uses it.
Last edited by Word on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

Yoda wrote:I really enjoyed reading this guide, and despite some of it that i already knew, i found many parts useful. Very well done, you could tell that you put a lot of effort into it.
Thanks for the feedback, glad you found it useful. I am currently working on a new website design and will return to the Guide after I finished that. Another thing that came to my mind is a resource list of interesting and useful forum threads - kind of like this one with an interesting discussion.

I also thought about translations - a topic that we had in the old thread as well. I can translate the guide to german myself, but if there is the need for other languages I would need the help of somebody else who (preferably a native speaker of that language).

I am still not sure what to do with the e-book idea. A printable version would be nice to have and I could set up a layout (preferably two columns) for it. Maybe it is a good idea to just give it a try and see if there are people willing to pay for it (I would donate half of the prize to the project) - there is nothing to lose at least.
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

Word wrote:if you want to use/modify this, feel free to ^^
Please note that i have made this after reading sine.wav's essay; i called the player who is causing the hole "holer", not the player that uses it.
in your top middle pic the def is ******
The once and future "I told you so."
wypz

Post by wypz »

This taught me basically everything.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Yeah. as goody implied, the top middle way is the best way to hole.

but hey nt word. You put a lot of effort into it.
Word

Post by Word »

here's a drawing of the "express-nph" :P
(slash, zap, xyron, i and maybe a couple of others did it already. it's really easy once you know how to do it)
Last edited by Word on Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyW
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by MikeyW »

I don't get it... why not just not turn, liek a torp?
Word

Post by Word »

it's called no-point-hole

when you die on your teammate's wall it's counted as suicide, sometimes as teamkill
MikeyW
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by MikeyW »

Ahhhh... this explains the anger directed at me when I just drive straight into the enemy wall when someone says "hole".
Olive
Match Winner

Post by Olive »

Lacrymosa wrote:I also thought about translations - a topic that we had in the old thread as well. I can translate the guide to german myself, but if there is the need for other languages I would need the help of somebody else who (preferably a native speaker of that language).
I could translate to Dutch.
Olive a.k.a ZeMu, MoonFlower & chicken.