The Fortress Guide

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: The Fortress Guide

Post by Word »

there is no real 4.9 doublegrind. when you turn backwards, you use rubber (0.8-1.5) because you're close to your own wall. and your grind loses even more of its strength (0.2-0.5) because the walls of your mates are also there.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

Word wrote:there is no real 4.9 doublegrind. when you turn backwards, you use rubber (0.8-1.5) because you're close to your own wall. and your grind loses even more of its strength (0.2-0.5) because the walls of your mates are also there.
True that.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Stop paying such close attention to the exact numbers on the rubber meter, people!

What we have here is the old case of the "pure grind" versus a 180-grind (so-called "double grind"). A pure grind should always beat a 180-grind. That all changed with 0.2.7.1 to where even a couple half-assed 180s or adjusts could beat a pure. This prompted some older posts like this and this. Consequently, that behaviour was reverted (in a way) for 0.2.8.x. (Servers can be configured to go back to 0.2.7.1-like behaviour, but considering these fortress servers never change the default physics settings, that's not really relevant to this specific conversation.)

Z-Man could provide a more technical explanation if he's so inclined.
Word

Post by Word »

i didn't pay attention to the values, i just estimated the amount of rubber i use (and i played it so often that i have a feeling for it :P )
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Phytotron. I agree, somewhat. But, "doing a 4.9 grind" in fortress is considered a perfect grind. I use a method I come up with to "do a 4.8-4.9 grind, when alone, to test the settings that are optimal for a given server's location, etc.

I have been tinkering a lot with the various rubber settings in creating a couple new servers, and I agree that paying too much attention to the rubber meter as a player can be very counter-productive. In fact, after checking out Guru3's server and asking tank about the settings, I have been working with "odd" values of rubber as in 3.1-3.8 for one server.

I also am working on a sumo server that has less than 5 rubber, but unique settings.

Let's face it, just playing "Fortress Physics" is rather boring.

Phytotron has posited the question many times,"why not sumo with unique physics?". He is correct to posit the question.
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

compguygene wrote:Let's face it, just playing "Fortress Physics" is rather boring
Disagreed.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

PokeMaster wrote:
compguygene wrote:Let's face it, just playing "Fortress Physics" is rather boring
Disagreed.
I totally understand your disagreement, and the disagreement that others will have with my statement.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I was under the impression that a 180 grind could allow you go to faster because you got acceleration from two walls, your own and the one you are grinding rather than just the one... could be entirely wrong though.
Word

Post by Word »

that's right, but you it means also that you can't perform a perfect 4,9 grind
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

Just did a bit of testing in single player.

From what I can tell, grinding is cumulative, so unless there is a setting somewhere which changes this, a double grind to 4.9 will always be more than a single bind of that, since its cumulative value will be something like 5.1 to 5.4 (due to the rubber recovered in the distance traveled backwards before the second of the two grinds)
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

syllabear wrote:Just did a bit of testing in single player.

From what I can tell, grinding is cumulative, so unless there is a setting somewhere which changes this, a double grind to 4.9 will always be more than a single bind of that, since its cumulative value will be something like 5.1 to 5.4 (due to the rubber recovered in the distance traveled backwards before the second of the two grinds)
That is exactly the behavior I see when I go into a server of mine alone, to test it's performance.
Word

Post by Word »

when you single grind, you start with 0 rubber, provided that you need only one turn; you have 5 rubber left. when you double grind, you have 4-3.5 rubber.
Lacrymosa
Round Winner

Post by Lacrymosa »

Word wrote:when you single grind, you start with 0 rubber, provided that you need only one turn; you have 5 rubber left. when you double grind, you have 4-3.5 rubber.
Well, but when you doublegrind, you are already closer to the wall.

Interesting discussion going on here about that, so far I would agree with Syllabear - doublegrinding is cumulative.
syllabear
Shutout Match Winner

Post by syllabear »

This can also be seen in high rubber: if you cannot get through a wall, you try digging deeper, and even if it is done incrementally (small turn-ins at a time) you still eventually get 'deep' enough, or close enough to one wall to fit through the gap.
The Halley's comet of Armagetron.
ps I'm not tokoyami
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

This game is math-based. All this speculation can be easily set aside with a little technical input from the person who programmed the rubber code.