What's your Gamer Position?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

What's your Gamer Position?

Post by Clutch »

I've witnessed a variety of different gamer positions, some of them normal, some health threatening, some extremely unorthodox.

I've found that I play (tron) best with my iPod plugged in and blasting, and a pillow at my back. And maybe this is just me trying to make up excuses, but I swear I do 10x better when my monitor is tilted upwards and slightly to the right. :P Now my friend, he basically has his nose grinding the screen when he plays, and every time someone cuts in front of him, he twitches and starts mashing his keys :roll:

So, I really think that when you're comfortable and relaxed, you play your best tron game. How do you play? Legs folded under you, standing up, two hands on your keyboard, one? What do you think is the best posture and stuff for playing tron.
Boxed
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Re: What's your Gamer Position?

Post by Goodygumdrops »

right hand on the scroll wheel, left hand on the joystick
The once and future "I told you so."
Spe

Post by Spe »

Joystick? can u get a joystick for tron? is it any good?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

I hang myself from the ceiling, with only the keyboard to stand on. Keeps you on your toes.

Actually gaming makes no difference for me. Just sit comfortably. Maybe adjust a bit to the keys you use. Or to keep that laptop from burning your legs.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

I often lie in my bed, very comfortable with all Pillow i got, I'm usually taking Ceiling as well. Then i go to the kitchen (of course without the Ceiling..) and make something to eat. With the Mp3-Player in my ears, that's 'my' Gamer Position.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

ok, usually my body language isn't that strange - but when a match is really close i find myself sitting like this:
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Goody has it backwards. The joystick is on the right, and the scroll wheel on the left.
Attachments
Oh look, in-game instructions.
Oh look, in-game instructions.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

For about 2 years the lightdisk game on that arcade machine was my favorite. the lightcycle game was a close second.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Clutch
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Clutch »

Word wrote: Image
lol did you make that on ms paint xD
Boxed
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

BoxeD wrote:lol did you make that on ms paint xD
Isn't making silly drawings in MS Paint some sort of prerequisite—a merit badge, so to speak—for establishing oneself as a part of internet culture?
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

@BoxeD: yes
@Phytotron: no

Paint is a drawing tool. I've used it to draw myself because it feels more comfortable for me than explaining the exact positions of my legs (since I'm too lazy to translate everything, heh). And it usually takes less time than reading/writing a good description (at least for foreigners like me :P) ; a sketch can be accurate and cause some abstraction at the same time. :)

And I doubt that an oil painting would be more appropriate.
Last edited by Word on Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Feet on the chair hunched forward, left elbow on the desk, left hand propping my chin, right hand at the keyboard. (Just for Armagetron, casual play. "Serious" play, both hands, sitting straight up.)
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

I always play on a laptop on a table lower than the chair I am sitting in. I lean forward until I am nearly falling out of the chair. Then, I put my legs behind the chair legs.

After doing this, I then tilt the screen to the correct spot so I can get the best vision. Please note that even though I am leaning forward, my face is still several feet from the screen. My arms are fully extended to reach the keys.

After I do this too long, I then transition my spot. I put the laptop up where the screen is eye-level if I am sitting straight up. My arms are still extended and are somewhat in my visual field. After I get tired of this position, I go to my previous. Both are comfortable for me and help - for about ten minutes. That's why I switch back and forth.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Don't remember how I had my key config during my first months, but after a while I noticed my hands would start hurting and it affected my guitar playing, so I had to find another position. Just basically sat down comfortably, closed my eyes and laid down my hands in a comfortable and relaxed position, then bound my keys to fit to that position.

So yeah.. comfortable relaxed position that puts no pressure whatsoever on arms/hands/fingers, although switching between sitting straight and leaning back.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I think this topic should be renamed to "Gaming Posture" because Gamer Position is a little vague.

My Gamer Position? I take the position that it's Ok to be a gamer.

See what I mean?