Dealing with people who don't grind

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Dealing with people who don't grind

Post by Hoax »

after some reading, like appa said
apparition wrote:There are so many people in this game who want to teach the nubes - teach the NOOBS!!!!1!!111 Don't suspend blah blah blah... I'd rather play an awesome game of fortress than teach the noobs every effing time they come in and eff things up... And well if it's that important to keep them interested in the game without kicking them, something more substantial needs to be done than shuffling them to the outside.
Either a proper tutorial or something comes with the game or newbs should just be suspended/kicked...guilt free
Language isn't an issue either as the game supports many

Is it not too far fetched to think that someone who can't figure out how to play isn't a benefit to the game
Just seems like everyone is busting a gut over trying to help new players learn how to play.....when I bet no one here was mollycoddled when first playing.

If you get booted for not playing correctly in your team (grinding etc. whatever) you come back determined to learn. Anyone who takes this personally & has a hissy fit over it & doesn't come back...I wouldn't want to play with anyway.

The only players im going to 'help' from now are ones that make some form of chat communication; else I've found I am just wasting my time & effort.

Although it would also help if people didn't just moan about non grinders and shuffled above them and had awareness to cover any gaps and/or holes they make.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Hoax wrote:The only players im going to 'help' from now are ones that make some form of chat communication; else I've found I am just wasting my time & effort.
yes...on that note i'd really recommend to change the default chat key and set it to "enter"...many noobs don't even know it's "s" until someone in fort tells them. it's only frustrating when you try to help someone who's unable to talk.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Word wrote:... i'd really recommend to change the default chat key and set it to "enter"
:roll: It's been done already. In 0.2.8.3. Where you been man?
Word

Post by Word »

0.3 ^^

(aka "I CAN'T HEEEAAAR YOU" :wink: )
apparition
Match Winner

Post by apparition »

Phytotron wrote: And there's definitely no justification for taking over the local game for the purpose of teaching Fortress. I've said it once, I'll say it again: Fortress is not the be-all, end-all of Armagetron.
The local doesn't need to be taken over just for fortress by any means. It can be utilized to teach players how to play. There could be some sort of message that says "First time playing? Use the enter key to begin chat and type /help". Then the game goes into a tutorial mode. Another message comes up explaining modes of play. "For help with each mode, type /help (fortress, sumo, ctf)". Each would explain basic rules or accepted strategies. People have already written them very nicely anyway, why not truly assimilate them into the game?

As it stands, the game is not easy to truly understand based on the local game or the totally awesome and not-complex at all game menu. There's a huge realm of possibilities that could start immediately once someone downloads the game and begins to navigate the menu. Most games have a "How to" of some sort.
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

Am I right in thinking there is a command to send players to a different server? I swear I saw it happen one time, though it could be my imagination. If it does exist, we could a do a /vote player to server.

We could then direct the 'noob' to a specially made server which explains the basics of fort, such as grinding, positions, attack & defence etc. It's a lot of work, but would encourage lots of new players to fort.

I remember when I first played tron, I went on a random server (which turned out to be CTWF) and I didn't how to grind. I got kicked 4 times in a row and didn't come back to tron for a month as a result, until my friend taught me how to play.

If that command doesn't exist, then the shuffle idea is definitely best. If a server becomes full of noobs and the game gets ruined, the 'good' players can all start a pickup game of fort elsewhere
Word

Post by Word »

the command is move_to , you need to know the server ip of the target server
þsy
Match Winner

Post by þsy »

if someone is prepared to work on a noob tuition server, then that would work great right?
Corn1
Core Dumper

Post by Corn1 »

I don't think you truly understand how flawed the idea of kicking people into a tutorial server when they aren't grinding would be. Not only could it be horribly abused but just the simple idea of one group of people telling you where to go and what to do doesn't sound appealing to me now nor to someone just starting. There are ways to remedy non grinding, but this method would only make your situation of trying to get more people to play fortress worse.
MrsKsr
Shutout Match Winner

Post by MrsKsr »

I'm pretty sure that function only works with "new" clients anyway.. Secondly it takes a few seconds for you to get to the other server.. If they had difficulty grasping the concept of grinding, what exactly makes you think they will understand what happened if their screen suddenly goes blank?

To be honest.. Non grinding is only a problem if the server is full of "pros" or people who think they're pros. Sure people want to play and have fun, maybe that one person f***ing the defence is a problem but if someone is kinda on the outside and still going forward, it's not a big deal. Most people, if they have any kind of brain, will understand (after a few rounds maybe) that they are doing it "wrong".

When I started playing fort, not once did someone have to tell me "you need to grind blah blah blah" there was no molly-coddling.. It's common sense, if they don't understand it then you know, whatever, but after all it's just a game. People seem to be forgetting that lately.. Let me know when it's fun again =/
"You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one;
I hope some day you will join us, and the world can live as one"

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

I believe that to truly love is the ultimate expression of the will to live.