Triple Binding and Glancing :\

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
avivt7

Triple Binding and Glancing :\

Post by avivt7 »

Can some1 tell me what exactly glancing is and how i can do it.

also ive been playing highrubber and i just started playing at wildcat and i was wondering if there are good
triple binding strategies or good practices for beginners
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Re: Triple Binding and Glancing :\

Post by Z-Man »

Glancing is what happens when you press the arrow keys on your keyboard by default (sans the up arrow): your view direction changes temporarily and snaps back to where it was when you release the key.

As for triple binding, don't ask me. I can see some use for it on chico style game modes and I can see the use of double binding in regular play, but IMHO, if triple binding is giving you any advantage in with standard 90 degree turns, the server settings are wrong. So, since you're asking for tips for beginners, there is only one: Don't. Don't even double bind. And play on servers with reasonable cycle_delay settings where nobody can do tight 180 degree turns in the open. Once you have that vanilla style of gameplay down, then you can think again about multibinds.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Z-Man wrote:o, since you're asking for tips for beginners, there is only one: Don't. Don't even double bind.
wow ty for making me feel proud to be a single binder! :D

if triple binding gives you one advantage its that you can survive longer in small areas, but not necessarily. double binding can be useful for gaining speed but that's all (not to mention chatbot kills).

imo single binding is the easiest: it's uncomplicated and you can stay relaxed, regardless which gamemode you are in. It doesn't confuse you.
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Trips give you quicker turning in 16-axis racing...Not that I've ever tried :blank:
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Real pros use a pair of pianos. They downtune them a lot and then use a microphone that picks up the sound and transmits it as key presses.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Also, don't play high rubber. :) It's like playing guitar hero: you still can't play guitar when you're done.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

avivt7 wrote:...was wondering if there are good triple binding strategies or good practices for beginners
Personally, I think it is more important to glance than to turn with multiple keys. Even though I double-bind, my playing style is actually more like single-binds with two hands (I have this weird drag in my playing.)

Anyway...

The best thing I ever did was make a keyboard layout where I could turn and glance without moving the position of my hands (not a problem for single-binders). You can probably come up with a satisfactory triple-bind layout where you have three fingers for turning and one finger (like your smallest finger) for glancing left/right. (I actually glance left/right more than I do backwards.)

Maybe something like:
A= glance left
S,D,F=turn left
J,K,L=turn right
;=glance left

See what I mean?
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

As Z-man said: Your best bet is NOT to bother with double or triple binding to start. Just single binding and glancing is hard enough to start with. I would highly recommend you read the following wiki pages from the armagetron wiki http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php?title=The_Basics http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... r_Skillset http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php?title=Teamplay

These three wiki pages will get you started in a reasonable way, with more knowledge than other new people gain quickly. I also recommend that you take that time to read more of what has been written in the Wiki. There is a lot of great advice there.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

DbindforweaksSMALL.png
DbindforweaksSMALL.png (23.35 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
Last edited by Phytotron on Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muskle Hed

Post by Muskle Hed »

Wow guys, ya'll are making me feel lame. I don't know what you'd call this, but this is my setup:

Left Hand:
Q W E - Left, Backwards, and Right Glance
A S - Left / D F - Right
Z X - Right / C V - Left

Right Hand:
Left Arrow = Left
Right Arrow = Right
Up Arrow = Toggle Brake
Down Arrow = Right

I mainly use AS/ZX for double binding, and the arrows for single bind turns. I triple back by pressing A, S, left arrow, right arrow and vice versa. I use A S D F in quick succession to do a funky little double bind trap that tricks most new people following me in CTF. I use A D (L) (R) in CTF to do a zig-zag sort of defense sometimes. I don't know if anyone cares, but there it is...
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Muskle Hed wrote:Wow guys, ya'll are making me feel lame. I don't know what you'd call this, but this is my setup:

Left Hand:
Q W E - Left, Backwards, and Right Glance
A S - Left / D F - Right
Z X - Right / C V - Left

Right Hand:
Left Arrow = Left
Right Arrow = Right
Up Arrow = Toggle Brake
Down Arrow = Right

I mainly use AS/ZX for double binding, and the arrows for single bind turns. I triple back by pressing A, S, left arrow, right arrow and vice versa. I use A S D F in quick succession to do a funky little double bind trap that tricks most new people following me in CTF. I use A D (L) (R) in CTF to do a zig-zag sort of defense sometimes. I don't know if anyone cares, but there it is...
i guess if it is usefull for ctf then wear the shoe, but it seems way to confusing for fort...
wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

Sine's binds are the best imo, I've got something similar:

left: xcv
right: nm,
brake: space

glance left: g
glance right: h
glance back: b

You don't have to move your fingers, you don't have to put your fingers in strange ways, you can put your hands just relaxed next to eachother and all binds are within your reach.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

wap wrote:Sine's binds are the best imo...
It's based on the correct finger position for typing. You can feel the markers on F and J, which I find helpful.
BamBam
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by BamBam »

Right:Up,Right,X

Left:Left,Shift,Z

Glance Back:Keypad 0 i only feel the need to glance back cause i my camera choice

-What Has Tron Come too.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Mine are pretty crappy, I just keep it this way so it's easy to transition to fps games.
right-d, right
left- a, left
glance left- g
glance back- h
glance right - j
brake- down
Muskle Hed wrote: A S - Left C V - Left
Left Arrow = Left
Do you really need to quintuple bind?