Getting Better

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Getting Better

Post by Mkay1 »

I have been playing tron for 2 months and 1 week, and i am wondering how to get any better at fort, or sumo or anything, since this is in the general topic i am wondering if you can give me any help :idea: at all to get better, because in my tron career i want to become a super :star: like durka, sine.wav, and others, who kick my @$$ all the time :oops:
Mkay-1, 8)
Last edited by Mkay1 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Getting Better

Post by sinewav »

You should do what I did: I followed DDMJ to every server he went to, all day long, and every time he killed someone I would ask, "Hey how did you do that just now?" If DDMJ isn't around, look for Goody, or any member of Twi|x|ted |x|ats (hint: look for the tag .x]) Ask them lots of questions about key-bindings and stuff - they know a lot and like to help out new people (how do you think their clan has lasted so long? because they are helpful!).

Keep doing this as much as possible. If they start saying "Get lost you n00b!" or try to brush you off, ignore them and keep at it. This is just a test they give to people they like and are considering for their clan. After a while they wil respect your enthusiasm and persistence and you can join them.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

On a more serious note, practice, practice practice! They way I learned was by practicing and watching good players. It also helps to make sure you are able to glance well or have a good camera view that lets you see what's around you; knowing what's going on around you is key.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

Like I told you the other day, don't ever lay a fail on "lag", or other excuses. Yes, sometimes it will be true, but saying it even when it's true will push you into saying it when it's not true, which hinders you for finding out what really went wrong. For instance what directly caused you to go wrong, how you could have avoided it. And regarding lag, play safer until you're comfortable. I remind you Durka plays from West Coast in German servers.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Ok, A serious post now. One word: GLANCE. I glance in all directions constantly. I always want to know where the action is. It helps me avoid getting into trouble. My play greatly improved when I came up with a key-binding that allowed me to both double-bind and glance 3-ways without moving the position of my hand. I use 8 fingers on the middle row and my thumbs on the spacebar to brake.

Also, having a good camera setup is very important. You may even want to make a custom camera if it helps. I used to have a custom cam for Nexus9 and I would just "include" it when I went to that server. Ask me about this if you don't understand what I mean by including.

MKay1, You're already a decent player. Just keep at it bro.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

sorry i was trying to figure out how to quote
Last edited by Mkay1 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

sinewav wrote:Ok, A serious post now.One word: GLANCE. I glance in all directions constantly. I always want to know where the action is. It helps me avoid getting into trouble. My play greatly improved when I came up with a key-binding that allowed me to both double-bind and glance 3-ways without moving the position of my hand. I use 8 fingers on the middle row and my thumbs on the spacebar to brake.
That was not serious oops. XD, i must apologize to sagelord... even though I hope I wasn't the annoying :mrgreen:

Also thanks to Arrow Olive i have now switched from smart cam to custom camera... it is going to be a hard change... but i am already finding a big difference... so look out sine.wav for when i get used to it :roll: ... JK

Sine.wav the keys i have are z, and left arrow is left turn: x and right arrow is right turn: left shift as glance left: c as glance right: up as brake: down as back glance and also v is back glance: space is my type... i think it is easiest to type that way

Can you tell me if theses are good?

Thanks, Mkay-1

oh and i only use 7 fingers :lol:
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

There's a page on the wiki that talks about this.... ;)

You need to understand grinding, how to control your speed, how to see what's going on, and the idea that's fundamental to lagometer (even if you don't use a lagometer).

Basically, you need to work on a few basic skills, have some stock moves you can make without thinking about it, and then, well, just, ummm......

Ok, so I don't have any ideas for you, other than to point out that practice doesn't make perfect, because bad practice only makes you suck more. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you attempt to do something, no matter how dumb it may be, and you screw it up, try again until you get it right, then practice it. What matters isn't whether or not you're doing a dumb thing, it's that you do what you intend to do.

I can't count how many times I've core dumped a guy because I failed to do what I intended, gotten a compliment, and then said I screwed up. I didn't do what I intended to do. A lot of times, what I intended to do would have taken two people out. :)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Mkay1 wrote:...the keys i have are z, and left arrow is left turn: x and right arrow is right turn: left shift as glance left: c as glance right: up as brake: down as back glance and also v is back glance...Can you tell me if theses are good?
Actually, that's close to my original layout. I changed after a few months because I wanted my fingers in "resting position" (like in typing). Using the markers on "F" and "J", I can feel my way around the keyboard better. I never have to look down to see if I'm in the right position (I would lose my place occasionally).
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

mkay... trusttt mee when i tell you this.

just play in all positions to get comfortable all around the grid. Knowing all positions will allow you to predict what the enemy is going to do allowing u to be 3 steps ahead of them :P

p.s dont follow durka... he will kill you
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Following Durka is the easiest way to kill him. He likes to go in, attack, and then try to escape back the way he came.

Just be ready for him to try to escape.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
custang
Average Program

Post by custang »

Was this topic's name changed to how to kill Durka?
bring back ddl!
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

I find the easiest way to kill durka is /admin kill Durka, works everytime. :D
You've gone too far, turn back!
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

Really? I've seen him get out of that a few times. He's a slippery SOB.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Lucifer wrote:Following Durka is the easiest way to kill him. He likes to go in, attack, and then try to escape back the way he came.

Just be ready for him to try to escape.
pft Luci you don't even play online anymore :P

we're talking about the real Durka, not the bot in your local game ;)