Wanna help a newbie?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
frostedpickles

Wanna help a newbie?

Post by frostedpickles »

hey anyone wants to help a newbie like me tell me cause i have a few questions. When starting out whats a good keyboard set up? What should I try to learn first? What are some good servers for a newbie? When should I start learning to double bind? How should I practice? If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.
90% of all teens would die if Myspace or Facebook was destroyed. If you are one of the 10% that would sit and laugh, then put this in your signature.
Lackadaisical
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Lackadaisical »

About servers: don't play in servers where there are rules regarding gameplay which are not enforced by the settings ('no camping even though theres unlimited rubber/brakes' for example), this basically means that their gamemode is flawed.

Go to nexus nine if you want to better your timing, handling high speeds and basic tactics (which is basically 'how to encounter enemies at the right time at the right place with the right speed'). Go play in any of the regular sumo servers if you want to learn about navigating in tight spots and fighting over an always decreasing amount of space.

There will probably be people saying nexus and sumo are 'hard' servers and I can't deny: you will get killed a lot. But pretty much everyone will get killed a lot when they're playing there for the first time, even those who spent years in 'newbie friendly' servers.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Servers:
I would try to stay away from servers with rubber over 5. High rubber servers make you spoiled and hurt gameplay IMO. I spent a lot of time in "shrunkland" when I first started because the slower speed helped me get some maneuvers down. "Nexus9" is a fantastic server to play in and I highly recommended it.

Keyboard:
Double-binding is not a requirement, but not doing so could leave you at a disadvantage in some servers. A good keyboard layout will allow you to both maneuver and glance without moving the position of your hands (or with minimal movement). Learning to glance will help you tremendously in the future.

Basics:
Learn to grind. This means riding very close to your own, or another's trail. It's how you gain speed. As you play, you'll discover common maneuvers you might want to practice locally or in an empty server (sometimes the community can be brutal to noobs learning new tricks and you might get harassed or kicked).

Finally:
Learn to read the Wiki. It has almost everything you need to know. This forum has the rest, but take your time a search it thoroughly before posting, as you will likely be directed somewhere else. Like this!

http://wiki.armagetronad.net/index.php? ... g_the_Game

Read the above. And welcome to Armagetron AD![/b]
nara
Core Dumper

Post by nara »

Lackadaisical wrote:Go to nexus nine if you want to better your timing, handling high speeds and basic tactics (which is basically 'how to encounter enemies at the right time at the right place with the right speed').
If you can find a living soul in there, that is ;(
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

nara wrote:If you can find a living soul in there, that is ;(
Yeah, it's too bad Nexus has mostly died. But I think some of that has to do with the settings. I remember having much more fun there in the past, now the settings just annoy me. Disappointing. :cry:
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

I started in The Yellow Submarine and I learnt many things there. It has 12 rubber and there are always players that will help you if you ask them friendly (maybe I am there when you enter it, watch out for pruWord :wink: )
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Re: Wanna help a newbie?

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Racing Can help you learn to manuver narrow spots quickly and skillfully, but it has no other real training purposes for "regular" gameplay. Or, join the small amount of regular racers :D .
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

It helped me get a lot tighter turns :-)
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

You may want to try the Wild West Capture the Flag Servers as another path toward learning. Although everyone else thinks you shouldn't start out playing in servers with a rubber higher than 5, I disagree. I, and many other players have started out in "medium rubber servers" and worked our way down to handling "low rubber servers"

80% of the Wild West Clan members started out in either "High rubber servers" or "Medium rubber servers". They did so because they found, like I did, that they couldn't get enuf success to make it fun. To learn to play in "Fortress" and "Sumo" they just had to learn to deal with the rubber. However, I have seen them trap and kill opponents in ways that no "Self Respecting Fortress Player" would even consider doing. As a team we also run some really weird strategies that are just now starting to succeed, which include 2 defenders sharing the Fortress defense. They crush and trap anyone that comes in the middle.
Rubber does not neccesarily kill gameplay, but forces a different style of gameplay. This is one way to learn "trapping".

Another way would be to start out in DF (or dogfight servers) and STS (or single trap servers) PruClan hosts good european and american "Single Trap Servers" and there are usually people playing in Dogfight servers during peak hours in tron. I think we should have a more open mind to the definitions of "good gameplay" I have been in properly designed DF servers where you can't win without playing "right". That is what people are referring to when they refer to the need for the setting to be what enforces gameplay, not the admins and mods.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

compguygene wrote:You may want to try the Wild West Capture the Flag Servers as another path toward learning. Although everyone else thinks you shouldn't start out playing in servers with a rubber higher than 5, I disagree. I, and many other players have started out in "medium rubber servers" and worked our way down to handling "low rubber servers"
I've never heard this before. I personally started on a high rubber server too.
As a team we also run some really weird strategies that are just now starting to succeed, which include 2 defenders sharing the Fortress defense.
Wasn't that made by two fortress guys?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

compguygene wrote:I have seen them trap and kill opponents in ways that no "Self Respecting Fortress Player" would even consider doing.
I can't even begin to imagine what that means, or what this mysterious "trap" is.
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by compguygene »

ok...what i am reffering to is this sine....

several of my players, if you watch closely, use a somewhat unique style of gameplay that integrates ideas from other game modes....

For instance, destiny is developing a defence with a few other players that involves two players splitting the Zone in half, leaving a space in the middle. When attackers come in the middle to try to wedge the defence apart, on of the defenders forms a trap... sealing them in...and then the other seals them in..they die!

Also, i have seen them use "ctf" style attacks against traditional defense, and actually make it work. Sorry if I offended, but I seemed to be "against the grain" of the other posts in this forum.
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Paladin
Average Program

Post by Paladin »

For instance, destiny is developing a defence with a few other players that involves two players splitting the Zone in half, leaving a space in the middle. When attackers come in the middle to try to wedge the defence apart, on of the defenders forms a trap... sealing them in...and then the other seals them in..they die!
Sounds similar, if not the same, to the defense of Durka/Lack I had the option to view the one night a while back.

Avoid 'highrubber', avoid fort and sumo, and CTFS for starting with. I'd recommend either a very low rubber server or a medium rubber server, Cheers!/DDL/The Yellow Sub.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

compguygene wrote:several of my players, if you watch closely, use a somewhat unique style of gameplay that integrates ideas from other game modes....
Ok, I guess it's just new to you. None of what you've said sounds groundbreaking to me. I've actually done all that stuff before. And I guess this "CFT style" attack is the one where you double-bind repeatedly alongside a defender in hopes of squeezing into the zone? That one fails in both game modes (and makes me giggle every time I see it).

Maybe that's a good tip for newbies: Don't wiggle back and forth with double-binds repeatedly. It doesn't get you anywhere, you just go back and forth. :)
hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

sinewav wrote:And I guess this "CFT style" attack is the one where you double-bind repeatedly alongside a defender in hopes of squeezing into the zone? That one fails in both game modes (and makes me giggle every time I see it).

Maybe that's a good tip for newbies: Don't wiggle back and forth with double-binds repeatedly. It doesn't get you anywhere, you just go back and forth. :)
/me agrees and giggles too ;P
Last edited by hoop on Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.