Wanna help a newbie?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
compguygene
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Re: Wanna help a newbie?

Post by compguygene »

Whatever! I am all wrong and you guys know everything! Obviously, anything i say on this topic will be maligned!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

compguygene wrote:Whatever! I am all wrong and you guys know everything! Obviously, anything i say on this topic will be maligned!
Well, even though I am sure your attempt at helping is appreciated, your skills and experience level is not really on par. with the bulk of the active tron community, and you are also just trying to advertise for WW servers...

Anyways, I started playing back in 2003 in low rubber servers and worked up to middle rubber servers. After taking a long break I came back to high rubber, then expanded my horizons to sumo/fort.

Right now I think the server for you to learn how to play is Swampland, and any other basic (just kill people mode, not sumo/fort or anything) low rubber (preferably 5 or lower rubber, servers like yellow sub work fine if there is nobody in a 5 or lower server) server. The competition level in sumo is pretty high at the moment and it may be a little frustrating for a new player. Fort requires teamwork, you are a new player, do not bother with learning how to play AND learning how to play fort. People might actually kick you if you are really bad and do not know what to do...
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

Being really bad :skull: , I want to put a plug in for Tronners Baby Racing. Specifically made for noobs. Learn the basics there and come back to a real racing server.
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Paladin wrote:I'd recommend either a very low rubber server or a medium rubber server, Cheers!/DDL/The Yellow Sub.
Er, those are high rubber.
Mecca wrote:I started playing back in 2003 in low rubber servers and worked up to middle rubber servers ... [then] high rubber.
Methinks that's a bit like saying, "I started out using a toilet and worked my way up to a training potty, and ultimately diapers." Accomplishment!

[rant]Incidentally, I'm assuming mentions of "Swampland" are actually references to this "Swampland Mud Puddle," since the original Swampland is apparently dead, excepting a clone based in Europe that no one seems to play. I have to say, I don't know what relation that server has to the original Swampland, other than horning in on its name; I don't care who plays there. And the rubber there isn't low. It's very forgiving, and more so thanks to the dumb _TIMEBASED 1.4, which increases available rubber the faster one goes. Want to beat a grind? Speed up! Lame. The cycle walls are also stupid short. That server was, by ca$h's admission, designed to facilitate that "open" bullshit, and it shows. I've noticed other servers (those labeled "DF") have taken the concept even further, with the addition of brakes and even less acceleration. Sad.[/rant]

Have I mentioned I've come to really hate rubber as a game mechanic?
Mecca
Match Winner

Post by Mecca »

Phytotron wrote:
Paladin wrote:I'd recommend either a very low rubber server or a medium rubber server, Cheers!/DDL/The Yellow Sub.
Er, those are high rubber.
Mecca wrote:I started playing back in 2003 in low rubber servers and worked up to middle rubber servers ... [then] high rubber.
Methinks that's a bit like saying, "I started out using a toilet and worked my way up to a training potty, and ultimately diapers." Accomplishment!

[rant]Incidentally, I'm assuming mentions of "Swampland" are actually references to this "Swampland Mud Puddle," since the original Swampland is apparently dead, excepting a clone based in Europe that no one seems to play. I have to say, I don't know what relation that server has to the original Swampland, other than horning in on its name; I don't care who plays there. And the rubber there isn't low. It's very forgiving, and more so thanks to the dumb _TIMEBASED 1.4, which increases available rubber the faster one goes. Want to beat a grind? Speed up! Lame. The cycle walls are also stupid short. That server was, by ca$h's admission, designed to facilitate that "open" bullshit, and it shows. I've noticed other servers (those labeled "DF") have taken the concept even further, with the addition of brakes and even less acceleration. Sad.[/rant]

Have I mentioned I've come to really hate rubber as a game mechanic?
Cheers! DDL and Yellow Sub are medium rubber, not high rubber.

No, that was not what I was saying. Each game type is equally as difficult as another, that was just the order I had ended up with.

Swampland (current) is low rubber. Yes, there is that time based thing, but it is not middle rubber, and in no way is it high rubber.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

The irony is that swampland used to be considered high rubber.

It's like you guys need more padding on the walls before you really feel safe.

@Phytotron: I've always hated rubber as a game mechanic. :) When it's used as a game mechanic, it's being abused.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

I have this awesome rule I use to determine rubber. The default rubber (1 and exactly 1) is medium rubber. Anything higher is "high rubber" and anything lower is "low rubber". It's easy to remember and makes perfect sense.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Well, I am bringing back HR! Haha to all you HR haters! http://forums3.armagetronad.net/viewtop ... 4&start=15
Meh=-~
Average Program

Post by Meh=-~ »

Nothing wrong with starting in HR :( just dont let it be the only game mode you play it doesnt matter what you start out in just play in more that one game mode
Can i have a cookie?
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

I started out in HR and realized real quick that I liked CTF and Wild Fortress best! This December will be my second Anniversary in Armagetron. The addiction is VERY strong in me, even though compared to many of the common posters here, I am pretty mediocre. I spent much of my first year tronning in Fortress Shootout and Capture the Flag Shooting. I then realized that what I really wanted to do was join the newly formed Wild West Clan. So, I deliberately had Wild West clan members that were offering to teach the community how to play, teach me Sumo, Fortress, and Capture the Flag. In late February of this year I became a Wild West clan member and the Fortress Division Leader. I spent about 4 months playing mostly Fortress with some Sumo and CTF mixed in. They considered my skills good enough to teach me more, and made me the Fortress Division Leader more for my ability to motivate, train, and recruit other players. I function more as a coach for the Fortress Division than a player.
I also started hosting my own servers in December of 2008. It was my "Tronic Xmas gift" to myself! I definately have to think of what to do for myself this December.
So, that gives you an idea of another path to a "Tronic Career". By the way, mine is probably a little unusual since I am 42 years old, married and have a son that is 15 and a daughter that is 13, the ages of many of the players out there!
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

compguygene wrote:all this stuff about the tron careers of the awesome compuygene!
We should have a forum devoted to players telling how they got started in Armagetron. It could be funny. (I'll just say I took vengance early in fort, re-inforcing me in racing)
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Cosmic Dolphin wrote:
compguygene wrote:all this stuff about the tron careers of the awesome compuygene!
We should have a forum devoted to players telling how they got started in Armagetron. It could be funny. (I'll just say I took vengance early in fort, re-inforcing me in racing)
/me blushes, I really don't think I am all that awesome, especially as a player. I try to do my part and have my fun.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

Lucifer you need to play tron :P and another thing, Did you know Lucifer stands for bearer of light?

i beet you did not hehe i learned that in science class this week
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

compguygene

Post by compguygene »

A little hint to all you n00bs. All the devs play. They just play anonymously, so people don't bug them. I particularly like to play ctf with them when Z-man puts up the appropriate bugfarm server. Especially with Luke-Jr, Epsy, Dlh, and Z-man.