How do I "Dig"

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
ivantis
Round Winner

Post by ivantis »

get a shovel
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

Haha! Gah! leftrightleftrightleftrightleftright DIG!
[system]
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by [system] »

epsy wrote:don't double bind, n00b!
It's not your decision, if someone wants to double bind, let them (and applaud yourself for not doing it yourself).
http://www.soldiers-of-sin.piczo.comhttp://www.myspace.com/djsystemttl † [- ¡DF! >>>>>>>>>>SOS<<<<<<<<<< !DF¡ -] †
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

[/sarcasm]
ObeseLeprechaun

Post by ObeseLeprechaun »

hate the wall, therefor i hate to dig
Italian Stallion and Irish Inferno ;)
Cosmic Dolphin
Round Winner

Re: How do I "Dig"

Post by Cosmic Dolphin »

How come there are replies here a year after it started :?: Lol, I guess I am also :!:
" Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
-Plato
Ok, but why did I add this signature? I was like 15 and thought I was smart? What a brat.
dvDosc

Post by dvDosc »

at ds arena, digging is welcome. the serv is used for mega sumo/fort, but maybe we find a way to run it again..

you can digg with or without brake, just left right left right left right, you just need to be fast with your fingers ;)
LucK
Shutout Match Winner

Post by LucK »

Ok now that you know how to dig try the "super dig". Set 2 keys for both turns. Instead of hitting left,right hit left,left,right,right all at the same time. Practice and you should get it down easy.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

/rant
I am so sick of people on this forum denigrating any game mode that uses higher that 10 rubber, isn't fortress or sumo, or is just plain different than what the majority of posters here play. Armagetron has evolved to having much more diverse gameplay than merely Fortress, Sumo, and anything else with less than 11 rubber. Personally, the one gripe that I do consider to be appropriate, is that the rules of gameplay should be strictly dictated by the server settings, and nothing else, which rather eliminates DF as a game mode. As to the question can you even die at a rubber above 10, yes you can! The challenge of HR is to combine stabbing, digging, and traps to lock your opponent in a place from which they cannot escape!
If a new person were to come to these forums for information about Armagetron, and to the wiki, they would think that all there was in terms of game modes was Fortress, Sumo, and not much else. Believe it or not, I have encountered people in-game that have expressed as much! I think that you all sometimes forget that if you check a server browser, or the master list, There are generally more people playing HR, DF, and a multitude of unique implementations of "Classic Armagetron" with a wide variety of settings in regards to acceleration, rubber, arena size, etc. Personally, because I get bored easily, I play in just about any type of server, except DF. I do play more CTF, CTFS, Sumo, and Fortress than anything else. But, I even enjoy getting my butt whipped in HR, etc.
/rant

In other words, I would like to see a little more of an open mind be expressed in regards to other game modes by this community!
Armagetron: It's a video game that people should just play and enjoy :)
https://bit.ly/2KBGYjvCheck out the simple site about TheServerPharm
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

compguygene wrote:If a new person were to come to these forums for information about Armagetron, and to the wiki, they would think that all there was in terms of game modes was Fortress, Sumo, and not much else. Believe it or not, I have encountered people in-game that have expressed as much!
With this much I agree. A lot of more recent players not only think Fortress and its derivatives are all there is, but that those game modes have always been around and are "classic." Fact is, they're relatively recent—only even possible since 0.2.8.0. Which leads me to our divergence, and to point out that high rubber isn't "classic," either, as you seem to imply. Those types of servers attained popularity during 0.2.7.1.

Rubber was never really intended to be a gameplay mechanic or "game mode," but only to be set optimally to compensate for latency. Unfortunately, it morphed into use as a physics mechanic. I believe Z-Man has expressed regret over this, about not having had the original foresight to predict that people would eventually learn to abuse it as such. But, alas, he's decided just to leave it.

You may be tired of people dogging on this server setting or that gameplay style, but that's been going on about the entirety of this game's establishment online. Look at some of the oldest topics on this forum—be it complaints about doublebinding when it took off, rim hugging, or when high rubber and 180-grinding came into effect, whatever. In a game that doesn't have top-down or hard-coded rules and regulations regarding settings and gameplay (sorry, "open" zealots), putting forth arguments for and against such things is how players try to influence the community, and in turn get more servers and players to their liking. You're doing it yourself. There are several of us, both players and developers, who've spent the last 4-5 years trying to beat back the high rubber fad and explain the original concept and purpose of rubber. Now you and others are waging a sort of campaign to try to revitalise high rubber. So.

And I'll make no secret about the fact that one of my motivations for wanting to get involved with you in Shrunkland, Armagoshdarn, and potentially BiH, as well getting involved with sinewav with his servers, is in hopes that these servers might regain some usage, and what they represent regain appreciation. That they might stand against the high rubber, fortress and its derivatives, "open," and all that. I'm under no illusions that all this stuff I dislike will go away (any more than multibinding will go away), and I'm not even that optimistic that these servers will get a lot of play. But, it's worth a try, I think, to see if they can at least be an alternative to balance all that out—an alternative that doesn't really exist anymore.
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

As always, thank you for a very well reasoned post, Phytotron. So that I could get a sense of the history of Armagetron, I have read many of the posts from 2005 onward. I am also very aware of rubber never having been intended as a game mechanic. But, sometimes I get a little fed up with people not respecting what others play. Personally, I pretty hate DF as a game mode, because it is NOT defined by server settings, but arbitrary rules. Nonetheless, I respect DF players, etc. I just would like to see the people in these forums have a little more respect for game modes that they neither play, nor understand.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

We are currently trying to find ideas for a new server, and we thought about having a mode whose player's only aim should be survival, which means the rubber is pretty low.

This is where we got the idea from. And we hope we have some maps similar to this soon, so we have a kind of Armagetron equivalent. :)
Imagine the blue points were death zones, and the yellow ones flags/winzones.
http://www.addictinggames.com/theworldshardestgame.html
Some of the levels seem to resemble ctwf's maps quite a bit :P

I don't know whether it is possible to program the ways the zones take (patches, anyone?) but I think fixed zones would be enough.
For those who don't reach level 2, you find all the "maps" here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvpXDUQ-Vjk&NR=1

and here's the topic where we are discussing it, if you're interested to take part
http://trongame.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=900
compguygene

Post by compguygene »

Moving death zones can be used if you use the sty+ct branch. The following link is to the CT wiki page that covers the basic commands that can be used to manipulate zones http://crazy-tronners.com/wiki/index.php/Settings also, the best way to get help from the CT clan with questions about the sty+ct branch is to contact them via IRC at #crazy-tronners on #freenode. There are additional commands that they have added to the current version of Armahacktron aka the sty+ct branch which can also be useful that are not documented as yet on their wiki.
Last edited by compguygene on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

fixed that for you.
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Tried something that didn't work the way I meant. Nevermind me. ::whistles and moseys away::