How can non-double binders beat double binders?

Anything about how you get those awesome core-dumps, or why you don't get them...
tonybbb
Average Program

Post by tonybbb »

tank program I never see you on armagetron
Signature:
root down
Round Winner

Post by root down »

Concord wrote:theres advantages
to double binding
but that makes it
a crutch to the weak
and wise
your argument sucks.

there are advantages to turning. is it a crutch of the weak?
stakes is high
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, taken from my martial arts class.....

In order to know how to counter someone, or defeat a particular movement, you have to understand the meaning of the movement. It doesn't really matter if he's got 1, 2, or 30000 keys bound to a right turn. The sequence of movements that your opponent makes carries a certain meaning, and you have to be able to see those movements and understand the meaning as soon as they appear on your screen.

Then you have to have what we normally call a response, but isn't really. You don't want to respond to his movements, because then your movements are determined by his. Instead, you want to make movements of your own that have their own meaning which will draw your opponent against your wall.

Focus less on the tricks he does and more on the thoughts he expresses. This game is a mind game, play it with your mind, not your fingers. Does a cycle mean anything? Does a wall mean anything? It's the movement that has meaning.

;)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

hahaha Lucifer.

But well put... :D
Dr34mw0rkZ

Post by Dr34mw0rkZ »

Depending on the game type, your strategy changes a bit. I can't give advice in regards to anything but high rubber -- I often play without multi-binding, and I think I'm generally regarded as a pretty accomplished player. The trick is not falling for jukes. When you turn, make sure you're in a position to get your ass out of there if things turn sour.
Zero V2
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Zero V2 »

Huh.

Well, I used to have this same delema (until I decided to double-bind myself. =P). One thing to do is to fake people out. Pretend like you're going to turn, and then turn back, and keep going straight.

Or, let's say somebody is on your left; if they try to grind against you, quickly turn left, and then right to go straight again. It leaves a little notch in your path, and if they're going too fast, they can't catch it in time.
Lament

Post by Lament »

Easy solution:
Find a noob double binder and pwn him single binding
or
somehow make a tight maze around the double binders.

While we're on the topic of binding, how can you use triple binds?
I don't play high rubber much now, but when i do people always trap me by doing a weird triple/4x bind :cry:
Give the audience pleasure.
The same pleasure that they get when
they wake up from a nightmare.
-Alfred Hitchcock
akira
Core Dumper

Post by akira »

Nice one Lucifer.

To put it into more earthly words: If you follow the db into her/his maze game you are going to loose in most cases.
Just play your game not her game. Be aware of the usual db moves (hooks, 180s, etc) and put a safety distance between you and her.
Try to figure out what she does at which time. For example you can kill those hooks if you know when she will do it.
I wasn't playing lately so I have no clue if you have to endure the usual abuse after playing that way for some games. Bring a thick skin in that case :P

But anyways, I am not a good player so my opinion doesn't count that much.

Hasta
bioman64
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by bioman64 »

quadruple bind
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

i personally use 26 keys for turning left, 26 keys for turning right
anybody who uses less keys will miss his key and fail, also, he's a n00b and should be hanged
Nano
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Nano »

Double-binding, especially in mid/high rubber, can be rather difficult to play without. A note about multi-binding, however.... Hitting a key 4x in a row, that fast, is rather difficult, but doublebinding twice isn't

I'm not going to say doublebinding is necessary in mid/high rubber, but its rather difficult to do well without it...but triplebinding and beyond isn't as big of a deal IMO
Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

hoop
Round Winner

Post by hoop »

I agree with owned's thought :wink:
Why should one decide to be or not to be a multi binder?
Personally I prefer single binding, that gives you more precision and better timing.
But when fighting gets harder and I need to be faster then I double bind... and lose haha.
IMO being able to use both techniques gives you more chance to win/survive
Monkey
Match Winner

Post by Monkey »

Lament wrote:how can you use triple binds?
Triple binding means assigning 3 keys for left and 3 keys for right.
Quad binding means assigning 4 keys for left and 4 keys for right.

For both you must press 4 keys in total, one at a time, each with a different finger, usually as quickly as you can. These 4 keys must be
EITHER
Left, Left, Left, Right
OR
Right, Right, Right, Left

Here are examples of key setups that I have found in the Wild West forums because I am too lazy to draw my own (so sue me):

The first setup is for triple binding.
The second setup is for quad binding.
Attachments
Quadruple_binding.png
Triple_binding.png
Playing since December 2006
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

I myself am a Double Binder, but if theres one thing i've learned from playing Cheers is that, while closing is discouraged and looked down on, its still legal and its very effective against any opponent, and to top it off, if you get trapped try braking in the complicated spots, some places have time limits, but it only takes a few seconds to pass most tricky areas, at least in my opinion.
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

actually in most servers, closing is encouraged.