Capture the Flag tactics :)

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
EagleEye
Average Program

Post by EagleEye »

Team play is pretty much the cause of it.

When you are playing solo and you get killed you have no one to blame but yourself (however other popular reasons are "lag" and "bug"). In team play, when you lose, blame the person who didn't respawn or the one who wasn't able to get to the zone in time. Many players rarly have the forsight to see that suicide rather then respawning to save 4 pts from the other team returning the flag is a good move.

My advise:
Ignore them. They will say their insults and be done with it. It's when you argue back do things really get heated. Usally if they will insult you, they will insult other team mates as well so if they continue to do it, a poll kick will likely get rid of them.

It is good to note the difference between annoying insults and helpful sugestions.
"omg respawn idoit" is annnoying insult
"its ok to break defence, no one is comming" is helpful sugestion.
KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

Number 1 strategy for CTF: Let KamP do his thing. Please. :) it works about 75 percent of the time, and the other 25%, it cuts losses dramatically.
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

Guarding the other team's base is probably the best strategy. The rounds go by quickly and they can't score or respawn.
KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

DDMJ wrote:Guarding the other team's base is probably the best strategy. The rounds go by quickly and they can't score or respawn.
Except that it never works. A reasonably decent player can always get inside the zone.

What does work as far as game control goes is holding a flag. If you control a flag (whether defending yours or running around with theirs) you control the whole game. Their players have to come at you, and you're free to do whatever. They can't score a flag, and that's that.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Sticky »

Yeah Kamp but that tactic just removes the flag element to the game and turns it to a rubber game(admitidly where you have a great big target on your head). You need to capture the flag FAST, as soon as their defense goes down it tends to stay down for a while as the goalie goes off chasing the flag so just start capturing as fast as possible.

My latest pet hate is shooting ctf. It just turns the goalie into a big bullseye, the attackers don't even try to attack they just sit back shooting at you until you die or make a mistake.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, what you do after you get the flag isn't quite so straight-forward, imo. Your team configuration should change! FIrst you exchange places with your respawner in your base, then you camp your balls off and keep your team respawned.

See, if you're all by yourself and you've got their flag, your only mission is to respawn your team and send them off to retake your flag, and keep them respawned. If you've got a helper when you take the flag, your helper should stay and camp the flag area for when it reappears.

I haven't played ctf with kamp in awhile, I don't know how good he is at it anymore, but I'm not willing to adopt any strategy that basically says the team is irrelevant. If kamp is really that good that he doesn't need a team, then his team can be that much better working as a team. Or he can play on a team by himself. :)

Anyway, the dumbest thing a goalie can do is chase someone when they've taken the flag. He needs to stay where he is and defend the empty space. If he died, then someone else needs to take it until he can be respawned.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

KamP wrote:
DDMJ wrote:Guarding the other team's base is probably the best strategy. The rounds go by quickly and they can't score or respawn.
Except that it never works. A reasonably decent player can always get inside the zone.
I strongly disagree. Find a player that's good on defense and you win with that strategy.
Your_mom
Match Winner

Post by Your_mom »

DDMJ wrote:
KamP wrote:
I strongly disagree. Find a player that's good on defense and you win with that strategy.
If i'm the one holding the flag and the other team is defending the respawn zone in a way I can't get through, I usually go to the middle of the field and just rack up points killing/respawning the opposing team. I've seen several other players use the same tactic. I often respawn the other team just to give my team more point fodder if a teamate is defending the other teams respawn i tend to try to respawn them even more. Playing 5 v 1 isn't any fun for me or the rest of the opposing team left spectating for so long.

Its a cheap tactic used by less experienced players imo. 'I can't win if i have to fight all of your team so lets single out one player and try to rack up points in the cheapest way possible.' While your at it lets just kill everyone but the chatbot on their team so theres no chance they can stop us from racking up points. Or we could just keep respawning and killing that chatbot and hope the other team doesn't call us out for being so cheap.

Bad Bushido!
EagleEye
Average Program

Post by EagleEye »

camping the other teams zone hardly ever works. For one, much of the time the person guarding the zone doesn't know enough about defending and quickly die in the attempt. An even more likely scenario is that the person guarding panics while defending and accidently goes into the zone and respawns the other team

I find Kamps way of things a good strategy. Get the flag and hold it. So what if it puts a target on your back. If you are good enough you can use that to your favor. Often, in their zeel to return the flag, players make stupid risky moves with little chance of success. Take advantage of those, and your set. Keeping the flag and having 3 players constantly coming at you is a good way to earn some points.
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Sticky »

My problem is if you are doing a realy good job of defense I get very anoyed when someone is running around with the flag killing the other team. Whats the point of me defing then, I may aswell let them have the flag then let kills decide.
XzL.Smart
Round Winner

Post by XzL.Smart »

for ctf shooting, the person that has the flag should not be able to shoot, but they can pass the flag to a person on their team by shooting it. the longer they hold down brake, the farther it goes until the eventually reaches 0 speed

anyone like that idea?
Squirg

Post by Squirg »

No Smart, I don't like that idea.

But we are missing the point here. CTF is a TEAM endeavor. You have a team for a reason. I've found that the most enjoyable games (and usually the games I win the most) are with teamembers who may not be quite so experienced in CTF, and so will listen to the more skilled players. (Like me :D) The Team gets things done much more efficiently than individuals who happen to be the same color. "Individual" teams tend to have more people shouting "res!" instead of trusting their fellow man. The true team will root you on if you're the last person, giving encouragement. Adding "Great Work Team!" after a successful round creates an enoyable mood. On a team, you'll have people guarding your back if you have the flag, allowing you to get away, or sacrificing themselves to buy you time. Point in fact is, you gotta know what you're team is capable of, and trust them. If an attacker is snapping at def and an opponent is running away with your flag, do everything you can to stop the runner. Who knows, maybe your man will break the def and get away before the enemy finally gets into the zone.

On a more individual note, res your team whenever you can. Please, just do it. (Unless seriously it won't be worth it.) If you see someone attacking, hang back, and keep other defenders off of him/her. (As mentioned before group attacking never works.) If you have nothing specific to do, instead of piling on attacking, try and prevent enemies from crossing onto your side of the grid, go dogfighting 1v1 with more enemy attackers. I call people who do this interceptors. When you're guy gets the flag cover him, and when he's clear, go in for the flag yourself.

But I digress, nothing will teach you what to do better in certain situations than living through them, so go out and play.
Legit
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Legit »

press shift esc for the cheat menu works even better.
ender
Average Program

Post by ender »

NOOOBS! :P
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Capture the Flag tactics :)

Post by Slov »

Helped me alot, ty for the tutorial :)
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho