server control

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
garisimo
Average Program

server control

Post by garisimo »

Hey yall first time posting my thoughts here. Big whattup to my fortress pals.

Lately we have been getting anoying ***** posting polls everyminute of the game which causes disturbances. Is there a way we can have some senior users be GODS on the server and control the amount of kicking that goes on? also how about banning some sweet fluffy bunnies too.

Take care yall.

Garo.
gnorty
Core Dumper

Post by gnorty »

Hi Gari -

Look around the forum for more detail, but I think there is already a system in place to deal with it. In essence, as I understand it, the admin has the ability to make the server kick people who make polls to kick people that fail. That should be enough to make people think before polling.
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

I guess z-man is better at explaining this, but this server is intended to be a test server like the server name says - to test player self governance. So he doesn't really want to ban people unless absolutely necessary.
The same applies for your GOD idea: This would need someone to assign those and a way for them to identify. Currently you can only use ADMIN_PASS, but anyone that has it can change all settings on the server, a lightweight moderator system doesen't exist anymore (it did in 0.2.7, but it was extremely ugly)
There's no place like ::1
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That, and there is the added security risk: CVS Test runs on my normal user account because I have no other, and has write access to all my PhD thesis material. Giving out an ADMIN_PASS may endanger that (more than just running the server obviously already does) if current CVS has a security problem.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Yeah, uh, keep that secret. Don't want you PhD thesis stuff leaking out. I know how my mom guards hers...
Speedracer
Match Winner

Post by Speedracer »

I got so mad at all the noobs and everybody making polls to kick them that I just went down the kick menu and began kicking everybody. i mean everybody. I guess that is how I learned that I will get kicked myself.
We are here today to talk about tomorrow. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will soon be today.
meriton
Round Winner

Post by meriton »

Why not fight fire with fire? Poll the pollers :)

Seriously, typically its just one or two guys, so kicking them is no big deal.
garisimo
Average Program

Post by garisimo »

well,

all i am saying is that complete self governance gives the abuseres too much freedom.
what if we incorporate a true ranking system? where noobies would not be allowed to enter an advanced server??

You know they don't read Z-man's notes man!
Outside Corner Grinder

hi gar

Post by 2020 »

i am hoping
that once we get enough players
and teams become something familiar to us
then
the problem of individual nutters causing a mess
disappears...

i think you had an idea from basketball...?
something about...
when a team loses
the whole team gets replaced by another team
which might or might not be an organised team
but rather
just a mix of people who are waiting to get on the server...

again
a shift of emphasis from individual
to team...
hold the line
meriton
Round Winner

Post by meriton »

Gari: The problem with a ranking system is that currently, player identities can be forged with minimal effort.
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

I wasn't an admin of speeders server, but I did have kicking powers (typing in a password and kicking a person) I think the same thing should be given out to 5 or 6 trustworthy people...Maybe like lucifer, me, lacka, madmax, and like nemo or maz..Those kinds of people.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh. I would probably abuse it, myself. Just ask around and you'll probably stumble across people I've randomly booted from my server for getting on the wrong nerve at the wrong time.

I appreciate the compliment, though.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Psyko: yes, that was the old ingame admin interface, it's gone now and has been replaced with the new one. The new system is perfectly well suited for a production server (where the code is stable and we can be reasonably sure it is now free of security problems), but CVS test is running current CVS code which is always risky.
And no, I'm not implementing the old, restricted system again just for this one server :)
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

The thing that bothers me the most is when someone just comes in, makes a bunch of polls then leaves. Is there a way to put a time limit on starting a poll, say a half hour from when you enter the server?
You've gone too far, turn back!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

As it stands right now, if you vote on a poll then leave, your vote is withdrawn from the poll. If you start a poll then leave, I don't know what happens, seems like it should be removed too.

But don't forget that if someone does leave after a poll has been started to kick them, you still need to vote "accept" to get the ban protection.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden