In The Beginning

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
Prey4Me
Match Winner

In The Beginning

Post by Prey4Me »

i believe the most important part to team strategy is to make sure you don't kill your fellow teamates right at the outset

ive found that the beginning of a round is the likelyhood of this greatest, with ppl turning into their fellow teammate's wall or trapping inside theirs

after this most everything is trivial, the less times ppl die in the beginning the greater chance you have of ganging up on ppl and for you not to be the person ganged up on
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

I've noticed this two... what's gotta happen is the guy all the way on the left turns off first, about 1/6th down the grid. The guy all the way on the right turns off 2/6th away down the grid. That leaves plenty of manuvering room in the center. Of course, that would only work for 3 player teams...
n54
MVP

Post by n54 »

after not killing each other there are two things i find important (they can sometimes be combined into one - variation is important)

the two things are speed and closing the start of a possible big box. below are some examples on variations combining these two to various degrees:

the first example is a pretty straightforward one giving superspeed to the middle player (the outlying grinders must grind past the middle player and let him catch up in the path created). done well with close grinds this gives most speed and closes the box but if one does it for too long one can easily get in trouble

the second is a variation between the first and the third, the left player grinds middle while the right player grinds middle before heading right (no point creating a mirror image of this one but of course one can do that as well). this start is best if (in drawn example) the (closest) opposition is placed to the right of the teams starting position)

in the third example bot outlying players grind middle shortly before heading out, basically just closing the start (no significant speed gain)

the fourth is an example of return grinding where the left player has decided to close the start by heading back inside picking up speed by grinding the middle. in the picture the grind isn't that long but in reality it would be (but should be less than halfway across the grind - 1/3 prob). the important part here is that the player usually should exit the grind towards "his" side so as not to interfere with whatever plan the other players have - when he exits the grind he could grind his own start on the outside or do a paperclip (if "alone")

the examples can be adapted for 4-player teams + don't blame me if it doesn't go according to plan :mrgreen: (unless i played of course)

loads more variations are possible of course (especially i find a pre-agreed "one-side makes speedstrip for middle & middle uses and closes start + other side closes his side from start"-technique interesting)

to Tank: i've tried making these illustrations using "smileys" - if you (or somebody else) can figure out a way to "stack" "smileys" without any borders or "lineheight" it could work out as a tileset for illustrating ideas/tactics (as it is now it works on the horizontal but there is a vertical space between each line of smileys which bodgers it)
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Nice pics, and I'll try to think of a way to handle the smilies idea, it's a good one.

(and your commentary was good too)
Champion
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by Champion »

Oh....
Hi armegatron DUDES!!!
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

wow, thanks to champion i just noticed this. welcome back tank :), and any possibility of stacking the smilies for node's absolutely superb idea? even if they couldn't be stacked real tight a general impression could maybe be given if they were at least adopted and used in a loose fashion. even with margins they might look fairly decent and understandable.

again, SUPERB idea node! :D
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I do think it's possible, but at the moment I'm still in the us. Won't be back until monday next week.
nicolas.b
Grid Clown
Location: west philly Quotation: "Everybody's stuck being a moderator, but me. Sweet!"

Post by nicolas.b »

oh!

there was a change in your ICQ status so i figured....
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

nicolas.b wrote:there was a change in your ICQ status so i figured....
That's because I've been on ICQ some...
nicolas.b
Grid Clown

Post by nicolas.b »

well... it wasn't with me. :(

j/k.. it's cool. :)