The Fortress

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

I have yet to catch the true PsYkO impersonator but if i do ill shout that lol
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Here's a good tip, especially for those who consider themselves "elite" fortress players:

Don't assume someone is a "f#&%ing noob," proceed to get worked up in a fit of petty and irrational rage, and talk shit to them simply because you don't recognize the nickname they happen to be using at the moment. :D
Outside Corner Grinder

hehehehhehehahhhahha

Post by 2020 »

ok
osc...
so you were on the server with a pseudonym and got abused
huh?

to tell you the truth
i think our appeal to cool down tempers is a little optimisitic...
young men...
competing...
in the middle of a 'critical' game........

however
we can alter the system:
if people who enter the arena
are not put at critically important places
such as first wingmen...
perhaps second from the backliners...
then only the def needs to take up the slack
as always
(
in my experience
def are generally more forgiving
forwards get a little more stressed out
)
hold the line
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Well, to be fair to the other guys, silly did come in and not grind and stuff. Still, the first words uttered on the subject were "You're a moron" or something to that effect. You don't get people to grind by telling them they're morons. But there was absolutely no attempt made to help the "new guy". It was pretty stupid.

It's not like there were large teams, or the match was even all that tense or anything. It was pretty laid back, gold (where silly landed) was having a lot of turnover. Most of us weren't playing too seriously, you know, trying stupid things and being amazed when they worked, feeling stupid when they didn't.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Well, what actually happened was I joined the server immediately as the round began, was placed directly left to center, but the round began before my client had finished syncing, so the cycles were already moving before I could see where I was placed. As it happened, by the time I got my bearings, I would have been unable to just turn right into center to grind, else I would have cut him off. So I waited a second, glanced back, saw that things appeared safe, made a little move, but the guy who was to my left (the one who threw a hissy fit), not recognizing that I couldn't grind to my right and being apparently unawares of the situation in general, ended up crashing into me. This was of course all inadvertent and I would have offered an apology, but before I could even hit my chat key the guy had already spewed a line or two of juvenile invective my way. So I gave him a comical ribbing.

Understand, it was only that initial round that I didn't grind. There were a handful of subsequent rounds, however, when no one on that team was grinding because they all went into chatbot mode to throw their typographical tantrums. But only that first round did I not do what I was "supposed" to do, and I've explained why. It's ridiculous to me that these—pardon me—fools would get so worked up over what should have otherwise played out as a single, isolated, trivial incident—in a video game, no less—and something that isn't exactly an anomaly on that server.

What's also kind of ironic (besides him calling me a "f'ing noob" when I've been playing well longer than he, to my knowledge) was that this very player is one who, even on the very rare occasion I've played fortress, I've seen accused of being selfish and not recognizing the "team" aspect of the game.

By the way, 2020, it was a sobriquet, not a pseudonym. :wink:
KamP
Round Winner

Post by KamP »

this makes TWO HUNDRED REPLIES
on something like fortress
and most of it is repetitive
SPLIT THIS THREAD, buddies
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh, that sync thing happens to me every now and then. It's just bad timing. I wish there were a way for the client to signal the server when it's ready to play.

I'm not trying to take his side, quite the contrary, I took your side. :) It's just plain wrong to rip into someone who just arrived for not doing the thing you want done. He assumed you were new, and not recognizing the name, so did I. I also rejected his poll before you changed names. :) Anyway, the bottom line here is that you don't just rip into someone right away. You ask nicely. If that doesn't work, or if you're just so inclined, ask for an explanation. If the explanation is "I'm new", then consign yourself to spend a few rounds helping the guy out.

Also, pay attention even after the kick vote is issued. :) There was a guy not too long ago who was new, and I started tlking to him, and he got the gist and started grinding--but not before the poll was issued. Luckily, teammates saw he was grinding and generally being responsive to talk and were able to reject the poll, so he got to stay and play. We had some fun with him, too.

If the point is for us all to have fun, we gotta help each other out. If the point is for one person to have fun, play Local Game, that's what it's there for.

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote:I wish there were a way for the client to signal the server when it's ready to play.
Whish granted. In 0.2.8.1, your player ID is sent only after your client is synced, so you're effectively a spectator until then.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Wow, awesome.

Now I'd like to wish for enough material wealth that I don't have to work while I finish school.

- Iron Maiden
Outside Corner Grinder

hehehehhehhe

Post by 2020 »

you are a card
osc
really you are

contrary to kamp's comment
i think this is directly relevant to the fortress:
we can not improve strategy
if we are constantly tripping up on the team-formation
and since we can not change the moods and responses of young men
then surely we must generate something which directs that energy towards...
better play, teamwork, more fun
as luci says

and please consider the possibility
that these problems can not be programmed out:
it is the self-same energy and excitement that comes from playing the game

ps
osc:
what was your appellation?
luci:
i think that wish is not unreasonable...
hold the line
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Lucifer wrote:Now I'd like to wish for enough material wealth that I don't have to work while I finish school.
Heh, if you can have it anyway, why not just wish for enough wealth to sustain you through your lifetime?
2020 wrote:ps, osc: what was your appellation?
I already told you. See, I have five nicknames I use. Why? One for each color I use, of course. Why different colors? I don't like being the same color as another player. I get confuzzled.

[edit]

:D
Last edited by Phytotron on Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside Corner Grinder

Post by 2020 »

Oscilloscope wrote: Heh, if you can have it anyway, why not just wish for enough wealth to sustain you through your lifetime?
haven't you noticed
we do already
unless
that is
you are dead
:)
hold the line
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sorry, Lucifer, I'm only the Fairy Of AA Bugfixes That Can Be Completed Before Breakfast.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

z-man wrote:Sorry, Lucifer, I'm only the Fairy Of AA Bugfixes That Can Be Completed Before Breakfast.
The FOAABTCBCBB?
~*PsYkO*~

Post by ~*PsYkO*~ »

Someone made a kick poll against me because I didn't grind one round...I just happened to be taking longer in the bathroom than expected (if you know what I mean) *Cough*Zop*Cough* Now those people are assholes that make kick polls against respectable players that you know, know how to grind...Or a kick poll gets started because a player accidently team kills one time.

But if there is a no namer...that doesn't grind...three rounds in a row...or teamkills twice in a row or messes up defense or all of the above i am going to say go to another server and learn the simpleness of tron and then come back...A boot follows.

So IMO if Oscillo was doing any of the above and isn't going around with his normal name...a kick is in order