Tron Basic: Sweepbox (Video)

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Tron Basic: Sweepbox (Video)

Post by Nanu Nanu »

I'm pretty lazy and I dislike having to explain the same thing over and over again, especially when it's easier to show someone. I've made a fortress sweepbox tutorial just for this purpose. I plan to do more similar videos to teach people how to use tactics that are rarely explained to players, but are more often asked of them to perform. That kinda depends on how well this video is received. So any comments, suggestions, complaints, etc, are all greatly appreciated. I'll see what I can do about fixing any of the problems you mention in future videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKD9taYHEeI
Prema wrote:The second match starts, a new beginning,
Nanu and Prema, Sui and Ninja,
versus those same old hoes grinning.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Tron Basic: Sweepbox (Video)

Post by sinewav »

I didn't watch the whole thing because the graphics hurt my eyes, but you should lose the "bumps" in favor of the sweep-box variant, the "step-box."
Attachments
sweep-boxing-1.png
(7.5 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Post by Nanu Nanu »

Just curious, but was it the video quality or my lack of textures that bothered you?
I considered doing a step box, but thought that it might waste a bit more space than necessary. Though I suppose it might be easier to maintain. Many ways to skin the cat, but thanks for the suggestion :P
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

nice music, i also like samurai champloo ost
Nanu Nanu
Core Dumper

Post by Nanu Nanu »

\o/ Tak wins all the tron moneys
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Nanu Nanu wrote:Just curious, but was it the video quality or my lack of textures that bothered you?
Yes, the lack of textures. I did think the video could be better, but I have a background in design and I hate everything.
Nanu Nanu wrote:I considered doing a step box, but thought that it might waste a bit more space than necessary. Though I suppose it might be easier to maintain.
The step-box is a much more efficient use of space and shrinks slower than random bumps.
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

I do not agree, with wall accel, a step def will use your rubber over time and your brake as well while the bumps make you able to control speed, keep rubber and brake ready. But to make efficient bumps you need to get same speed with other sweeper and hit keys very fast to make standardized bumps that don't give you any stress.
RoterBaron1337
Core Dumper

Post by RoterBaron1337 »

Well.. since everyone is hating here.. ill go with some love and critique

its nice to see ppl trying to make some explanation videos.. its way easier for newbs to understand and see what you meant with 1000 words

but...

1. The graphics... someone else should have recorded that..
2. get a pickup game and show how it works.. (6v6)
3. do the sweebox "right".. (meaning: dont make those "bumps" ... wtf is that.. in a sweepbox you make one turn right one turn left, like insa/fofo defence)
4. only post it on the wikipedia after fixing those problems (show some professionalism)
5. get some other music going on.. some nice lobby music is always great for that
6. get a pro / contra list after the video

pro: its safe when you have a good center, you can hold your defence for 10 minutes with a good sweepbox and hope that the other team dies accidently, no holing from the other team as long as the attackers survive
contra: way too much pressure on attack cause everyone will go back and sweep as soon as they see you set up a sweebox, lame, if all the attackers die.. its holeable (6-5v3), its really lame, dont do it
Kappa
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

Heh Roter, make an anti-sweepbox-tactics video then if you don't want people to use one.
And then I will complain about all the missing things in your video! :P

@tak: If you do a step-box, doing just RL as quickly as possible (small steps) will indeed drain lots of rubber with the accel. If you do bigger steps though (about 2x the size, like insa defends) you almost don't have to use any rubber on those, just use some rubber (and probably also brakes) at the corners/first step to not shrink the "inside" (read: the biggest perfectly square def that would fit into it) of the box too much and squish your def.
With the bumpbox you initially have a bigger square but that inside will shrink faster due to the bumps getting deeper, while the stepbox gives you a smaller inside (square def space) at first, but, with using rubber+brakes (almost) at the corners only, that space won't shrink as much.

About the video, I like it. It's not perfect but it's a cool demo and it works that way. Sinewav's drawing is probably clear to anyone who's got the basics of the sweepbox, but from my experience not everyone can just instantly understand a drawing like that *cough roter cough*. Well done. :)

Also a general tip if you use a grid: "grid_size 25" (alternatively 100, 50, 12.5 or 8.333; 25 is just my choice) will give you a hint where a square defense would go*, which is useful for the defense itself but also for sweepboxers for "when to break it". It also has a perk in some sumo arenas (X marks the middle).
As that scales up the texture though, with the standard one it looks ugly. Here's one with thinner lines as an attachment if you want it ;).

*Of course with a sweepbox the defense can't hug the rim as the lines on the grid would show, it's still a good approximation though.
Attachments
floor.png
floor.png (360 Bytes) Viewed 9115 times
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

vov wrote:Also a general tip if you use a grid: "grid_size 25" ...
I second this. I made a texture long ago that is a larger grid tile, subdivided. Helps with defense and is also good for the wing position (I'll let you figure out why). ;)
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Perhaps the title should be changed to "Fortress Basic:" rather than Tron Basic...

Also, I'm grateful you're not teaching the optimal way to sweepbox. The sweepbox is a menace :P
J Dawg
Round Winner

Post by J Dawg »

meh graphics are graphics :p Nice though Nanu! A lot of new tronners Do not know how to approach a box efficiently and that guide makes it a cake walk :)
ImageImageImageImageImage
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

That's what I call a crapbox!

For those who remember the crap defense.