Fortress: Which way should you break as Position 1?

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...

Which way should you break as Position 1?

Left
6%
Right
27%
Whichever way looks best at the time
67%

Total votes: 63

owned
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Fortress: Which way should you break as Position 1?

Post by owned »

akira wrote:Which way you split as centre is mostly a result of a mind-game between yourself and the opponent centre player. If you vary your moves, there is a higher chance you can actually dump the bugger.
Agreed. In competitive matches, being center is all a mind game. You need to trick the opposing center into going the way you want and letting you either kill them or trap them.
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Oh, take me out, take me out, or I shall burn; I am baked enough already!
Goodygumdrops
Round Winner

Post by Goodygumdrops »

owned wrote:
akira wrote:Which way you split as centre is mostly a result of a mind-game between yourself and the opponent centre player. If you vary your moves, there is a higher chance you can actually dump the bugger.
Agreed. In competitive matches, being center is all a mind game. You need to trick the opposing center into going the way you want and letting you either kill them or trap them.
this is why we had to stop letting durdur play center
The once and future "I told you so."
Lord Pein
Round Winner

Post by Lord Pein »

Goodygumdrops wrote:
owned wrote:
akira wrote:...
this is why we had to stop letting durdur play center
Because chatbots die too easily?

In my opinion, whatever the center does doesn't matter as long as center is blocked. It seems that late center attacks are more popular these days.
http://i52.tinypic.com/11ipyet.png
Thursday July 22nd 2010: Airman's team beat Lizmatic's team in fortress.
DDMJ wrote:Good idea...but what if the arma player is Luke-jr :?
Titanoboa
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Titanoboa »

Unless the split is way bad, any half assed center can block properly (unless woned has hax on, but he doesn't count.. really). It's when the center tries to block while saving rubber, all while fighting the opposite center to kill it or center attack.. that's when it becomes hard.
My point is.. blocking center without doing anything else is a tie. Who the flip-flop settles for a tie???

Since you usually defend*, Lord Pein, I certainly understand your point of view though ^^.
*Correct me if I'm wrong.

And to stay on topic a little... Whoever always goes a specific way as center, please let me know in PM.. it'd make things a lot easier for me. thx
PokeMaster
Match Winner

Post by PokeMaster »

i always split based on which finger spazzes first.

God damn lagometers...
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Attachments
Picture 1.png
chah
Core Dumper

Post by chah »

F*cking center attacks, how do they work? (lol?...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs)

Anyway, as a center, I think it's more important to respond to what the opposing center does, rather than always blocking one side, and running away on the other.
Don't hate the player, hate the entire clan.
dariv
Round Winner

Post by dariv »

Here is my experience,

Your left side is more vulnerable because you opponent comes from the left. The best way to seal is to split right at the same position as where player 2 turns left, so 1/2 is sealed and 1/3 is blocked, without using any rubber or brakes.

The second best way I think is to split left, seal, then re-grind player 3's wall until you pass their corner, then turn left again to create a false wall to grind on. Puuquie taught me this the other day and I've only seen 2 people ever beat it (gonzap and potter.... how on earth).

Sometimes to mix things up I go straight without using brakes, sealing against the opposing player 2's wall, then triple binding left and trapping their centre. If they brake before the split, and especially of their players are splitting late, they don't emerge in time to escape. But I haven't tested this enough to say it's a good tactic.
pLxDari - Challenge us!
Desolate
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Desolate »

dariv wrote:The second best way I think is to split left, seal, then re-grind player 3's wall until you pass their corner, then turn left again to create a false wall to grind on. Puuquie taught me this the other day and I've only seen 2 people ever beat it (gonzap and potter.... how on earth).
Many people can get through that. But it can be used effectively.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

© MaZuffeR
akira
Core Dumper

Post by akira »

Yea, Maz's invention.

You cannot get through it if the box is small enough (doublebinded) and the exit grind is somewhat decent.
theroze
Match Winner

Post by theroze »

Lately I've noticed that when I'm center position 2 always splits latest. Anyway, I try to split when I pass pos #2' wall, that it looks more or less like this:

Code: Select all

center________________________ #2
     #3________|
My opponent's center has to use some rubber for even getting between the gap between center's to get to center. I usually try to cut the right side (opponent's view) to look if I'm able to center.
As you can see, my opponent isn't able to center while I still have the full 5 rubber. Was able to try it once yesterday against slash and it worked instantly. :)
apparition wrote:You being able to kill so many players that quickly and efficiently is evidence that the community skill level must be dropping... Sad :/
Reigning champion of: Sir-spam-a-lot 2011