Late Center Attack:Fortress

Team Strategies go here, if you want to share that is...
BamBam
On Lightcycle Grid

Late Center Attack:Fortress

Post by BamBam »

Hi everyone,For late center attack i was wondering who should cover. Should the Defense come around and cover as they set up, or should one of the sweepers cover as protecting. Does it depend on your opponent or are all players the same. Let me no what you guys think.

-What Has Tron Come too.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Late Center Attack:Fortress

Post by Mkay1 »

there is already a topic on this...

and in your sig you need the little boy from the filnstones they one that always says BAM-BAM
BamBam
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by BamBam »

no the other one is for regular center attack and uhh the one with the bat yeah.

-What Has Tron Come too.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Late center attacks? It depends on where the attack is coming from and who is doing it.

If the attack is happening at the top of the grind between Pos 2-3 by the opposing center, then the primary responsibility lies on Pos 1. If the attack is coming between the wings (Pos 4-2 and Pos 3-5 or lower) as the result of a weak launch, then the team needs to decide what to do on the fly. A good place to start is a tighter grind with more speed to avoid being outflanked.

Usually the late center attack is the result of one opponent finding a weakness in your grind and exploiting it. Sometimes man-2-man coverage is the best here. Assign one person on your team to single out the attacker and stay on them. Eventually they will back off once they realize they don't have a wide open door anymore.

The defense should always be prepared though. This may require shuffling and/or closing the back of the grind as good as possible. Maybe even switching to double-def for a few rounds.

So in answer to the question "who should cover" center attacks? The answer is: the whole team.
BamBam
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by BamBam »

sinewav wrote:4 as the result of a weak launch
ah so pos 2/3 should grind about 4 and abouve 5/4/6 grind atleast 3.5 would help with that right?

-What Has Tron Come too.
Mkay1
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Mkay1 »

yes, but if you are position 4/5 if you properly grind a 3.5 you often kill the position 2 or 3, so maybe b4 you do so, just talk to your team and see whats up
BamBam
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by BamBam »

ok thx

-What Has Tron Come too.
teen
Round Winner

Post by teen »

hehehehehehe
Round Winner

Post by 1200 »

Sinefeld wrote:If the attack is coming between the wings (Pos 4-2 and Pos 3-5 or lower) as the result of a weak launch, then the team needs to decide what to do on the fly.
I disagree. if the attack is coming between 2-4 or 3-5 then i think pos 2 or 3 should primarily cover it because it is the result of them being out-speeded by the opponent wing. In this situation Pos 4 & 5 must help cover the def.

I mean it is in a way a man-to-man kinda def so maybe thats what you meant Sine?

BimBimBomBomBamBam wrote:ah so pos 2/3 should grind about 4 and abouve 5/4/6 grind atleast 3.5 would help with that right?
A good grinder can almost alwayz grind more than 3.5 so i don't think it matters too much. Like Mkay sayz i think its better to do 3-3.5 as not to kill the DGer.
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

sinewav wrote:closing the back of the grind as good as possible
That is useless, as late middles are those which happen after tails have gone from base, effectively bypassing any kind of prevention set by the defender.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

1200 wrote:I mean it is in a way a man-to-man kinda def so maybe thats what you meant Sine?
Yes exactly. I tried to say in my post that one option is man-2-man coverage. Another is a tighter grind and more speed to stop them from getting around you.
epsy wrote:
sinewav wrote:closing the back of the grind as good as possible
That is useless, as late middles are those which happen after tails have gone from base, effectively bypassing any kind of prevention set by the defender.
True, but not entirely useless. Cutting across the back of the grind might be the difference between losing 25% of the zone or 50-75% if you don't. It's really a secondary measure. The late center attack is brutal to defend against, but not impossible.
PsYkO
Core Dumper

Post by PsYkO »

4/5 should be meeting back at the middle in front of the defender's zone exactly at or very close to when center's tail leaves (he will be the slowest one). That's why there is strategy on my end to seal center and then gain speed.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

PsYkO wrote:4/5 should be meeting back at the middle in front of the defender's zone exactly at or very close to when center's tail leaves (he will be the slowest one). That's why there is strategy on my end to seal center and then gain speed.
Yeah, I always try to time it so I reach the middle as the tails are leaving, and if there are dead tails grind it hard, as it's likely the defender will have had to compensate.